Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

Guest TabbyBoy

I can't understand why some people are flipping these now for £20 post-fee profit when it could easily make £150+ profit within 2 years. This set is HOT, be patient! I admit, I was tempted to buy more than one of these, but I've remained strong.

12 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I can't understand why some people are flipping these now for £20 post-fee profit when it could easily make £150+ profit within 2 years. This set is HOT, be patient! I admit, I was tempted to buy more than one of these, but I've remained strong.

I was tempted to buy 2, but I only bought one. 

15 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I rather look at the $20 bill rather than the box of 21309 collecting dust. 

17 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

If it is in production through 2018, that means more than double RRP in first 8 months or retirement.  Seeing how it is flying under everyone's radar I could totally see that happening ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

11 hours ago, LegoEdison said:

I rather look at the $20 bill rather than the box of 21309 collecting dust. 

Yup rather take the $20 bill right now than collect the 21309 prematurely. I already sold like 8 of these for $35 profit each. The $150 isn't guaranteed so I'll take what I can get. They are still producing these throughout 2018. A bit premature to start collecting them now unless you were thinking of getting over 20 boxes or something. To think that you can get $150 profit within 2 years is quite the return in this era of lego investing, I don't think this set is as underrated/under radar as some have pointed out. Double MSRP within 2 years is asking for some of the highest returns of lego sets which happened for sets that suddenly retired without prior notice. Don't think this is the case for this set as we still have quite a ways to go. I am taking the approach of both stock piling and flipping these, I don't see why you can't do both. People get to stuck on 1 or the other. With the profit I've made from the 8, I am coming to close to adding 2 to my stock pile.

Edited by WCH

12 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

I do understand it but I don´t like it. Unfortunately, heuristics taken from the Ecto 1, Doctor Who, Red 5, Pet Shop and Tumbler debacles tend to suggest that those 20 pounds are worth 2 birds in the bush in today´s market.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
2 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I do understand it but I don´t like it. Unfortunately, heuristics taken from the Ecto 1, Doctor Who, Red 5, Pet Shop and Tumbler debacles tend to suggest that those 20 pounds are worth 2 birds in the bush in today´s market.

But those sets didn't sell out on day one and still out of stock months after. Since LEGO needs production capacity for other 2017/2018 sets, it won't surprise me if 21309 has one more production run, sells out the same day and is done ;-)

That's why I think it's worth holding a while longer, I've never seen any set sell out as quickly as this.

5 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

But those sets didn't sell out on day one and still out of stock months after. Since LEGO needs production capacity for other 2017/2018 sets, it won't surprise me if 21309 has one more production run, sells out the same day and is done ;-)

That's why I think it's worth holding a while longer, I've never seen any set sell out as quickly as this.

Ok, I was going to mention Porsche 911 Gt3 as a better example since it followed the same pattern of lack of supply at the beginning. When Lego solved that, the price plummeted and it s now at a permanent 30% off on amazon Uk. Good luck in trying to flip one of those now.

I don´t see Lego cutting production of this set anytime soon, small shops are still getting them and they are able to sell as many as they make. Why kill the goose with the golden eggs when there are so many real shelfwarmers that could be culled and no one would care?

Edited by Val-E

6 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:
But those sets didn't sell out on day one and still out of stock months after. Since LEGO needs production capacity for other 2017/2018 sets, it won't surprise me if 21309 has one more production run, sells out the same day and is done ;-) That's why I think it's worth holding a while longer, I've never seen any set sell out as quickly as this.  

The tumbler/Porsche 911/research Institute are some recent sets. If the set does come back in stock like some of these sets, the price will plummet. 

Edited by WCH

The strange thing is that in Europe they are fulfilling orders to toy shops so it´s kind of a reverse exclusive in that SAH is the only place you can get it.

Those shops are able to sell them instantly at RRP and are no doubt putting in new orders so there is no reason for TLG to stop production unless they are actually losing money on making them.

Yeah there is no reason for them to suddenly stop. I can't really this set being retired while the set is permanently oos. It will come back at least for a while. If it doesn't happen, it will be one of very few sets which I'm not sure even exist.

Edited by WCH

1 hour ago, cladner said:

says frustration free packaging though... wth

Amazon.com works with manufacturers to box products in Certified Frustration-Free Packaging, which reduces the overall amount of packing materials used. Amazon Certified Frustration-Free Packaging is recyclable and comes without excess packaging materials.

2 minutes ago, superlegolover said:

Amazon.com works with manufacturers to box products in Certified Frustration-Free Packaging, which reduces the overall amount of packing materials used. Amazon Certified Frustration-Free Packaging is recyclable and comes without excess packaging materials.

right.  that usually means that amazon opens up the box and dumps the items in smaller prime box or in a plastic bag.  which would be a weird thing to do with a 1969 piece lego set.  i ordered another one anyway because i think its a mistake but we'll see.

1 minute ago, cladner said:

right.  that usually means that amazon opens up the box and dumps the items in smaller prime box or in a plastic bag.  which would be a weird thing to do with a 1969 piece lego set.  i ordered another one anyway because i think its a mistake but we'll see.

I think this is going to be how I start to label sets being sold opened box, sealed bags. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cladner said:

I also placed an order. Will see what I will be getting... interesting ...

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V