Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

1 hour ago, BaltimoreBrick said:

What are most of you guys doing with 21309 if you manage to catch it? Are you stockpiling them or just quick flipping? I'm new to the LEGO investing scene and curious what the general pop is doing with these.

Too busy Bionicle hunting at the moment to think about it.

On 8/4/2017 at 2:08 PM, BaltimoreBrick said:

What are most of you guys doing with 21309 if you manage to catch it? Are you stockpiling them or just quick flipping? I'm new to the LEGO investing scene and curious what the general pop is doing with these.

I flipped my eleventh one today.  Lego will catch up with these, and then I'll be able to stockpile.  Right now, I'm rolling in the extra cash.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Blake3741 said:

Right now, I'm rolling in the extra cash.

No offense....but my math skills can't seem to find where all of this "extra cash" is coming from with a $120 buy-in and a selling price of $177. Even flipping 11 of them doesn't net very much in the end. I assume you are using points or FWP items to bring down your buy-in?

I've made one sale via craigslist.  The rest were on eBay.  Honestly, 8 of them sold for over $180.  It's only been in the last week where eBay has been more flooded with more than 220 listings for this set that I've had to come down below 180 to move them.  But, today I went to the Lego store and picked one copy of this set up.  I took photos of it in the back of my car and posted it on eBay for $174.  I took my kid to the grocery store and came home.  Before I got all the groceries in it was sold.  Yes, I only brought in $20 on this sale after eBay, paypal, and shipping fees, but for the time I spent with it, it was worth it in my book.  I believe that it's only a matter of time before Lego gets these back in stock.  These Lego stores around me are getting them in quicker and quicker as the weeks go by.  One day, maybe after Christmas, I'll be able to drive to all of them during one Saturday outing and bring home 4.  I believe this.  At that time, I'll stockpile.  But for now, I'm bringing in all the quick cash I can while other, impatient people are willing to spend their money.

5 minutes ago, Blake3741 said:

After eBay and PayPal fees I've netted $285 in profit.

Also, this $285 is after all shipping fees.  I don't itemize my shipping supplies costs, but if I had to guess, I really spent about $15-$20 in shipping supplies for these as well.  So, my real net profit is more like $265 - $270.  But, I don't consider this to be too shabby considering I didn't even sell my first copy of this set until July 16.  So, that's profit I've made in the last 3 weeks.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, odysea11 said:

No offense....but my math skills can't seem to find where all of this "extra cash" is coming from with a $120 buy-in and a selling price of $177. Even flipping 11 of them doesn't net very much in the end. I assume you are using points or FWP items to bring down your buy-in?

And, I do consider myself to have gotten lucky.  I stumbled across these sets at my local Legoland Discovery Center, where they have a lego store, but follow their own rules.  Pretty much, the one-and-only-one rule, out the window.  I was able to buy several of these copies, and with a membership discount, got some at 10% off.  Also, I was able to get 3 copies at 20% off using their after 5 purchases of $25 or more get the next purchase at 20% bargain.  So, yes, I bought in under retail value, so I'm cashing out and making quick cash.  And I'm not complaining one bit.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bigboy61 said:

Crowds of people reselling or crowds of people waiting to buy my Saturn V ;) ?

A lot of people have been buying these up in hopes that it will be out of stock around xmas time and prices will soar as they typically do with frantic buyers trying to secure their xmas gifts. I'm anticipating an abundance of these on Amz and ebay similar to the Advent Calendar phenomenon.

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V