REMAIN or LEAVE...What will happen to the non-US LEGO investor?

On June 24, 2016 at 1:11 AM, Val-E said:

There is a real possibility that other member states will follow the same path - who wants to be bankrolling Spain, Italy, Portugal, Greece, Cyprus and Ireland with very little in return? There could be a new  union solely based on free trade but with less emphasis on cohesion in terms of common policies, taxation and economic policy.

The UK is certainly going to have to spend more on defence and border controls now.

On that note it was Germany that was bankrolling. UK was never fully into EU anyway. If I remember correctly Schenzen didn't apply. they had their own central bank and currency. :)

from non-UK resident's perspective this doesn't change squat. But this would be a big change from other business and trade perspective.

Btw, how will the tax havens in Ireland going to operate now. Especially all those networking and dot com giants spreadsheets.

Any stock market predictions for next week?

I trade futures and options. I feel we see a minor drop Monday and slowly float back up. This will be a 2-3 day "event" in the market then it will normalize. I could be wrong but nothing crazy has happen YET from this. Was just the vote could take 1-2 years before fully leaving EU. Made good money Thursday night lol 2-3AM est.

• Like 1

Just now, Lego Templar said:

I trade futures and options. I feel we see a minor drop Monday and slowly float back up. This will be a 2-3 day "event" in the market then it will normalize. I could be wrong but nothing crazy has happen YET from this. Was just the vote could take 1-2 years before fully leaving EU. Made good money Thursday night lol 2-3AM est.

The markets work on expectations rather than hard evidence (same as Lego investors) so it all depends on whether they have already discounted the worst case scenario or there is more to come.

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

The markets work on expectations rather than hard evidence (same as Lego investors) so it all depends on whether they have already discounted the worst case scenario or there is more to come.

They haven't priced in the worst case. Just 12% drop in UK seems very modest. 

Even if eu puts in enough tariffs in place to account for current gbp decline uk's export to eu will be on decline. If I read it right 33% of UK's export is within eu region.  Economically they would be the one to lose more than anybody else.

Edited by gregpj

30 minutes ago, newbie77 said:

On that note it was Germany that was bankrolling. UK was never fully into EU anyway. If I remember correctly Schenzen didn't apply. they had their own central bank and currency. :)

from non-UK resident's perspective this doesn't change squat. But this would be a big change from other business and trade perspective.

Btw, how will the tax havens in Ireland going to operate now. Especially all those networking and dot com giants spreadsheets.

Schenzhen would never apply. Couldn't see China let them break away. 

Why would this affect 'tax havens' in Ireland?

21 minutes ago, shortyz said:

Britain the first, what country is next?

No Greenland was the first then Norway who semi joined then left the following year.

Also I cannot see the cascade I believe the Swexit may occur then that will be it. The Cezchs are having a referendum as they can it is mainly around celebrating democracy.

Edited by Will 4

5 minutes ago, Will 4 said:

No Greenland was the first then Norway who semi joined then left the following year.

Technically, it wasn't the EU yet when Greenland left. And Norway never joined so the UK is the first to leave.

On a more disturbing note: it seems Australia is leaving the AU and is becoming Stralia

CluuBarWIAAf-XN.jpg:large

1 hour ago, fossilrock said:

9-9-89 was an important point in world history.  You probably know being German what that day represents.  Let's hope that 6-23-16 isn't remembered in history books as the day that started the ball rolling in the opposite direction.

I don't know what that date represents but this was the German no. 1 hit single at the time:

1 hour ago, newbie77 said:

They haven't priced in the worst case. Just 12% drop in UK seems very modest. 

Even if eu puts in enough tariffs in place to account for current gbp decline uk's export to eu will be on decline. If I read it right 33% of UK's export is within eu region.  Economically they would be the one to lose more than anybody else.

UK is a net importer.  German automotive industry sells around 400,000 vehicles in the UK annually.  Golf, Polo, A3, are all in the top 10 by volume.  There are already rumours that German and French political parties are talking about putting a free trade bi lateral pledge with the UK in their manifestos for the future elections.  Bypassing Brussels. 

You folks just can't help yourself can you? Ed is putting a lot of faith in this thread - more than I would have - so can you folks posting the inflammatory crap give it a rest? Maybe, just maybe, we can have an intelligent and adult conversation?

So just to be clear ..

- no name calling
- no insulting other members
- we don't need to label groups as smart or stupid to be smart or stupid
- we don't need to be bigoted to talk about it
- we should occasionally try to talk about what this all has to do with LEGO

12 minutes ago, feed said:

UK is a net importer.  German automotive industry sells around 400,000 vehicles in the UK annually.  Golf, Polo, A3, are all in the top 10 by volume.  There are already rumours that German and French political parties are talking about putting a free trade bi lateral pledge with the UK in their manifestos for the future elections.  Bypassing Brussels. 

Can they do this that easily? How much autonomy do the member states with respect to trade/tariffs/etc?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mhd747 said:

For UK sellers, how much of your current sales are in EU? 

I myself have stopped buying items from North America/ Asia due to customs / import tax and find it a lot easier to buy items from Europe due to not customs / import taxes.

10%. ebay GSP. Mostly Spain/Italy, mostly parts not sets. Although for some reason i do sell a lot of castle figs and sets parts to Italy.  

1 hour ago, feed said:

10%. ebay GSP. Mostly Spain/Italy, mostly parts not sets. Although for some reason i do sell a lot of castle figs and sets parts to Italy.  

Yeah, tastes in Lego show on a small scale how different each country in Europe is. You can´t give Ninjago or Chima away here but in Germany they are nuts for it. Italians love their castles stuff but not so much Architecture and the Brits go in for Super Heroes and Technic. Star Wars seems the only denominator which may or may not translate to real life.