REMAIN or LEAVE...What will happen to the non-US LEGO investor?

12 minutes ago, Will 4 said:

Well that petition for the new referendum just hit a million so it will have to be considered.

No it doesn’t.  17,410,742 voted leave. 16,141,241 voted remain.  That’s it. Done.   

To suggest that every time there is a democratic election / vote the results could be overturned and a new vote cast is truly terrifying.  

• Like 2

Just now, feed said:

No it doesn’t.  17,410,742 voted leave. 16,141,241 voted remain.  That’s it. Done.   

To suggest that every time there is a democratic election / vote the results could be overturned and a new vote cast is truly terrifying.  

No no its one of those on the governments website like that one about free parking for carers at hospitals it is not a new vote but a consideration to do so.

6 minutes ago, Will 4 said:

No no its one of those on the governments website like that one about free parking for carers at hospitals it is not a new vote but a consideration to do so.

I understand.  My comment was more directed to the people who are part of that 1 million.  It’s insane.  They want to give a government a president in overturning election results because it didn’t go the “right” way. 

11 minutes ago, KShine said:

An interesting read of opinions.

How Brexit Will Change the World
17 top economists, foreign policy gurus and historians look five years into the future.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/06/brexit-change-europe-britain-us-politics-213990

Pretty much the entire spectrum of opinion, from DOOM! to err nothing much..  Take ya pick..  

14 minutes ago, KShine said:

An interesting read of opinions.

How Brexit Will Change the World
17 top economists, foreign policy gurus and historians look five years into the future.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/06/brexit-change-europe-britain-us-politics-213990

A prime example of how most experts hedge their bets, and nobody really has a clue what's going to happen .......

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, feed said:

Pretty much the entire spectrum of opinion, from DOOM! to err nothing much..  Take ya pick..  

I like how many of the opinions go into their reasonings, such as if this happens than that could happen - which I think is interesting.

11 minutes ago, KShine said:

I like how many of the opinions go into their reasonings, such as if this happens than that could happen - which I think is interesting.

For sure and maybe why there is such debate at the moment, many of those are plausible.  
The thing that amuses me more though is that experts are mostly wrong. 

Just now, feed said:

For sure and maybe why there is such debate at the moment, many of those are plausible.  
The thing that amuses me more though is that experts are mostly wrong. 

There are far too many unknown variables to ever know specifics for certain (actions/reactions).

But in the end, like with most things, everything will work out fine.

1 hour ago, Crustybeaver said:

And it would have been thrown out in parliament just as this one will

It surely will be, but you surely don't believe that had the vote gone the other way the Leave Campaign would have dispersed quietly? Farage and his cronies would have demanded a 2nd referendum based on the closeness of the result, backed up in that call by the axis forces of the Daily Heil, Sun & Telegraph.

27 minutes ago, KShine said:

There are far too many unknown variables to ever know specifics for certain (actions/reactions).

I know, but you don’t often here that do you.  There are lots of variables and numerous actors, so at this stage it’s just too early/difficult to predict and in all likely hood something else is going to come along that no one thought of which will have a bigger impact…  bah, now where did I put that monkey and my typewriter, I need an expert opinion by 5.    

5 hours ago, feed said:

I understand.  My comment was more directed to the people who are part of that 1 million.  It’s insane.  They want to give a government a president in overturning election results because it didn’t go the “right” way. 

I don't think your queen would allow them to get a president :P

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pedilego said:

I just wanted to say thanks to Ed and the mods for letting this discussion play out a bit. It's educational reading the raw opinions of those outside of politics/media and more in the trenches. There was a bit of unnecessary bickering but, really, less than expected considering that both sides seem to have, at the least, some compelling arguments, and legitimate reasons to be upset at the other. Sounds like a tough spot to be in. Hopefully it works out for the best...

Yes, I would like to be able to do this more.  I would love to be able to discuss politics on this site in a side forum.  I love the stuff, but people have to show me they can handle such a divisive topic.  Most handled it quite well.  The usual suspects...well...acted like the usual suspects.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ciglione said:

This is just a promotional video for Remain. So says nothing.

Talking about history... from wikipedia:

" In 1943, the German ministers Joachim von Ribbentrop and Cecil von Renthe-Fink eventually proposed the creation of a "European confederacy" as part of a New Order on the continent. The proposal, which attracted little support from the Nazi leadership, would have had a single currency, a central bank in Berlin, a regional principle, a labour policy and economic and trading agreements but left all states clearly subordinated to Nazi Germany.[9] The countries proposed for inclusion were Germany, Italy, France, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Slovakia, Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia, Serbia, Greece and Spain. Such a German-led Europe, it was hoped, would serve as a strong alternative to the Communist Soviet Union and the United States.[9] It is worth noting that the Benelux countries are omitted from the list of proposed countries, as their future integration into the German Reich had already been decided. "

True, it's definitely a promotional video, but it also contains a pretty strong message.  

My grandfathers only brother died as a teenager in the battle of the bulge.  It definitely affected my grandfather quite a bit through his life and I was definitely handed down lessons on history about this era of our countries involvement during WW2..   My other grandfather was burned badly on a battleship in the pacific and was sent to Seattle to recover from third degree burns.  So, both my grandfathers bombarded me with the horrors of war that they got to see during WW2, which in my opinion the only reason the US was pulled into it was because the world was about to burn.  Definitely the US is not immune from political strife, and even teetering on the verge of collapse because we have our share of history too..  But, man, it seems like Europe and the Middle East tend to be some of the most violent unstable spots on the map.  Why?

Back to the main point, this isolationist movement, and especially all the xenophobia that is propping up in areas around the world today is going to possibly embolden more fascist dictatorships in countries that once were seen as bastions of freedom, both economically and socially.  Here in the US, we are not immune either.  Granted, the way our political system is setup should keep a tyrant at bay, although some could say that Bush the 2nd pushed those boundaries, and I would tend to agree.   Our constitution is just a paper that can easily be torn apart by the sword.   The UK is definitely not immune to this happening either, and it's looking like they maybe very well heading down this very path..  So, this supposed freedom of leaving the EU comes with what?  I take it the first step is kicking out all "the undesirables" and giving economic power to those that supported the brexit?  Is it going to be as simple as that?  I highly doubt it. The worlds economy will not allow it to work that way.  So, it's going to be interesting how this plays out, but I don't look at it with much optimism, and this has more negative connotations attached to it, then any positive ones for most of the world. 

9-9-89 was an important point in world history.  You probably know being German what that day represents.  Let's hope that 6-23-16 isn't remembered in history books as the day that started the ball rolling in the opposite direction.

The poster Calli above gets it!

20 hours ago, Salimr said:

I'm from a northern state and I have to admit before I went to the south I did not have the high level of respect or education on the south as I wish I had had. I felt I was educated,as I have an M.s., and see myself as an open person, but I don't know, I just thought less of it for some reason. I'm not sure if it's our news, my friends, my northern education or just my own ignorance. I thought I would not fit in, I would be treated poorly, and I would hate it there. Long story short I found my self feeling very dumb as I was absolutely was wrong and loved my entire trip! I also had no issues with racism or anti my religious sentiment or anything the news made me think. 

I live in the south, but i've lived in the northwest, and northeast.  While all areas have their isolationists, and racists, the south definitely takes the cake, although on the same avenue, the southeast is by far the most diverse of all the regions but it also seems to be the most turbulent, and at times backwards. Some of the laws that politicians push on us are straight out of the 18th century and no longer work in today's society.  Where some of these people in power strive to take us is back to a very dark place.

Edited by fossilrock

Guest TabbyBoy
18 minutes ago, willbeesley1994 said:

Can we please talk about lefo investimg

I've never heard of that but, I've heard of LEGO investing ;-)

Even though I only ship to the UK currently, I may now open up to Europe and the USA as the GBP/EUR and GBP/USD exchange rates will make my prices sound more attractive. I think the markets are just glitching and it'll settle down soon. There's no big change until we actually leave in 2018. The French, Dutch and Danes will be hot on our heels.

Parliament can still overturn the LEAVE result but, there'll be uproar if that ever happened.

Edited by TabbyBoy
Typo

13 minutes ago, willbeesley1994 said:

Can we please talk about lefo investimg

Why, is all this brexit talk making you have an uneasy feeling?  Personally, like many here, lego investing is pushed farther back in people's minds when serious world events occur that effect us all.  

Although, looks like there were declines in sets yesterday on amazon, so maybe the jitters affected more than just the stock market?