REMAIN or LEAVE...What will happen to the non-US LEGO investor?

4 hours ago, fossilrock said:

True, it's definitely a promotional video, but it also contains a pretty strong message.  

What message? Just to be clear. The last 100 years, many of your fellow american countrymen gave their lives in different wars around the globe. What was the official reason? To bring democracy. Right? The referendum held in the UK on the 23rd of June 2016 is the perfect example of democracy. 

My grandfathers only brother died as a teenager in the battle of the bulge.  It definitely affected my grandfather quite a bit through his life and I was definitely handed down lessons on history about this era of our countries involvement during WW2..   My other grandfather was burned badly on a battleship in the pacific and was sent to Seattle to recover from third degree burns.  So, both my grandfathers bombarded me with the horrors of war that they got to see during WW2, which in my opinion the only reason the US was pulled into it was because the world was about to burn.  Definitely the US is not immune from political strife, and even teetering on the verge of collapse because we have our share of history too..  But, man, it seems like Europe and the Middle East tend to be some of the most violent unstable spots on the map.  Why?

Let's go back to the Roman Empire. Rome and the surrounding areas were very peaceful. But outside of that there was violence and instability. Why? Cause it is the perfect example of divide and conquer. If your enemies are busy fighting eachother, they won't fight you.

Back to the main point, this isolationist movement, and especially all the xenophobia that is propping up in areas around the world today is going to possibly embolden more fascist dictatorships in countries that once were seen as bastions of freedom, both economically and socially.  Here in the US, we are not immune either.  Granted, the way our political system is setup should keep a tyrant at bay, although some could say that Bush the 2nd pushed those boundaries, and I would tend to agree.   Our constitution is just a paper that can easily be torn apart by the sword.   The UK is definitely not immune to this happening either, and it's looking like they maybe very well heading down this very path..  So, this supposed freedom of leaving the EU comes with what?  I take it the first step is kicking out all "the undesirables" and giving economic power to those that supported the brexit?  Is it going to be as simple as that?  I highly doubt it. The worlds economy will not allow it to work that way.  So, it's going to be interesting how this plays out, but I don't look at it with much optimism, and this has more negative connotations attached to it, then any positive ones for most of the world.

It is not about xenophobia. Sure, there are always people who are xenophobic. But this was not a referendum about immigrant or refugee quota. This was a simple question. UK in or out of the EU. And the mayority voted to go out. You cannot simplify the reasons people have to just one or two. It are different people with different reasons. For example... british fishermen who want to fish in their own territorial waters again so they can make a living and feed their families.

The american war of independance from England. How dare you americans turn your backs on the King of England?

Everything turned out just fine after your declaration of independence.

9-9-89 was an important point in world history.  You probably know being German what that day represents.  Let's hope that 6-23-16 isn't remembered in history books as the day that started the ball rolling in the opposite direction.

First, I am not german. Second, by your reason, the east-german people made a mistake by tearing down the wall? Cause they had the courage to stand up against the communist Soviet-Union? And did it go better for them right away? Were there no east-germans who doubted? Many lost their jobs, etc. It took some time before things got better. But again... that comes with the territory. The price of regaining freedom. 

Ciglione, a lot of your responses really didn't touch on anything I said, and just side stepped it by just tossing out a lot of strawman arguments. 

First, it's fairly evident that this vote had serious undertones of nationalism and xenophobia mixed together...  To state that it doesn't is either not looking at this situation with any sense of accuracy, or you want to misstep the accuracy because you feel your country will make out better on this deal.  With the UK exiting, this definitely strengthens Germany, because the Germans will have large influence and political control over the rest of the EU, since they will be the biggest economic power, as well as the largest country.

As for stating this will help the UK's fishing industry - I don't buy that at all.  Here's the thing about that, the waters outside of the UK has been constantly labeled as one of most overfished on the planet, and is teetering on the verge of collapse.  So, they'll just speed it up quicker now!  The collapse of the cod fishing industry has been well stated many times.  Here in the states, we have recently set aside national marine sanctuaries to protect biological diversity of fish species and to keep from overharvesting.  We aren't the only nation doing it to protect crucial marine areas from being overharvested... but oohh some don't like that because it's BUREAUCRACY and wiping out the entire fisheries for short term gain cripples their "freedom".. .  

Don't really get where you are going wit the roman empire and the war for independence against England.  the UK has been our ally for a long time now, and I doubt that changes, even if this may eventually create and usher in the collapse of the UK and return it just to a smaller state called England.  Sure, Ireland and Scotland will also remain our ally, as well, regardless of how the map breaks down a few years from now.  

Finally, I don't get your comment about me reasoning that the wall coming down was obviously a mistake for the East German people?  I don't think I said that at all, and that is far from what I said, if that is how you interpreted it.   To me, the wall coming down was a good thing for a majority of the people in the Eastern Block nations.  As time has gone on, Poland, Romainia, the Czech Republic are in much better condition today, then they were under the Iron Curtain.  Their citizens definitely are more free today, both economically and socially then they were back then. The EU has definitely created better conditions for all of them.

GBP now trading at less than 1.20 euros and 1.32 USD. A little more decline and the Amazon UK prices will start showing up as the cheapest in Europe without special offers.

I´m already seeing UK sellers on Ebay as the cheapest for quite a number of items.

Guest TabbyBoy

My sales in Europe have increased by about 5% this week on bike parts. I don't sell LEGO outside the UK just yet but, I will spread my wings a bit to get rid of the more stubborn sets.

4 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

My sales in Europe have increased by about 5% this week on bike parts. I don't sell LEGO outside the UK just yet but, I will spread my wings a bit to get rid of the more stubborn sets.

It worked the other way last spring when the pound was at its high and that allowed me to get rid of some toxic Ninjago and other stuff.

It´s always worth listing stuff that doesn´t sell domesticaly as those crazy Europeans are sure to be into some of it.

Just now, Val-E said:

It worked the other way last spring when the pound was at its high and that allowed me to get rid of some toxic Ninjago and other stuff.

It´s always worth listing stuff that doesn´t sell domesticaly as those crazy Europeans are sure to be into some of it.

Brexit at the moment all the export advantages of a weak pound and then no tax or customs.

9 hours ago, Val-E said:

GBP now trading at less than 1.20 euros and 1.32 USD. A little more decline and the Amazon UK prices will start showing up as the cheapest in Europe without special offers.

I´m already seeing UK sellers on Ebay as the cheapest for quite a number of items.

Let's see if the pound reaches the exchange rate levels of 2009 when it hit the bottom at almost 1.02€ per £. Then, buying from UK sellers would get really interesting. :money:

Edited by Brian Briggs

I would imagine that Amazon Uk would then start restricting shipments as they would be losing sales from other Amazon sites. When the yen went down, Lego became much cheaper but it was impossible to buy it from Japan due to the restrictions.

2 hours ago, Val-E said:

Funny to see England bundled out of Euro 2016 as well.....

First Brexit, then Exit. 

Those £45 X-Wings on Amazon.uk are tempting now as they'd end up around €56 each after parcel motel costs.

All the jokes are coming thick and fast now after tonight's performance.

21m9itc.jpg

On 6/27/2016 at 9:54 PM, Val-E said:

Funny to see England bundled out of Euro 2016 as well.....

Legendary England 1966 footballer Bobby Charlton was asked today how his team would of compared against Iceland. Bobby said his team would have won 1 nil, only 1 nil the reporters gasped, yes said bobby most of us are in our 70,s now, LaughLaughLaugh

Edited by botchy123
x
  • Like 4

GBP now edging toward 1.17 euros and 1.30 USD. I am sure it´s all part of the master plan of the BREXIT campaigners - oh wait they have all quite, like rats from a sinking ship.

This means that most Lego is now cheaper to acquire from Amazon UK, especially if shipping can be combined. Some of the older sets that benefit from low GBP pricing points are great deals, even with a paltry Amazon discount.

35 minutes ago, Val-E said:

GBP now edging toward 1.17 euros and 1.30 USD. I am sure it´s all part of the master plan of the BREXIT campaigners - oh wait they have all quite, like rats from a sinking ship.

This means that most Lego is now cheaper to acquire from Amazon UK, especially if shipping can be combined. Some of the older sets that benefit from low GBP pricing points are great deals, even with a paltry Amazon discount.

Yeah, I'm guessing it will reach 1.1€ in a couple of weeks. Too bad I already have a fleet of X-Wings or I would be all over this.

30 minutes ago, Will 4 said:

This is part of a grand exporting scheme to Europe 2 years of advantages we have EU access and a weak pound:money:and I may even be able to get a house when I'm older thanks to prices going down:D

I would not count on it .. Not only are all predictions made in this pre-vote article based on assumptions, the fact that a weaker pound means more people have been buying UK goods (such as LEGO) is a strong indication that real estate could continue to be snapped up by foreign buyers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/house-prices/what-does-brexit-mean-for-house-prices-if-we-leave-will-it-solve/

It's quite a fascinating read really.... the end conclusion - you have to wait 2-5 years to see what will really happen.

4 hours ago, Val-E said:

GBP now edging toward 1.17 euros and 1.30 USD. I am sure it´s all part of the master plan of the BREXIT campaigners - oh wait they have all quit, like rats from a sinking ship.

I hope they can't swim.

13 minutes ago, gregpj said:

I would not count on it .. Not only are all predictions made in this pre-vote article based on assumptions, the fact that a weaker pound means more people have been buying UK goods (such as LEGO) is a strong indication that real estate could continue to be snapped up by foreign buyers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/house-prices/what-does-brexit-mean-for-house-prices-if-we-leave-will-it-solve/

It's quite a fascinating read really.... the end conclusion - you have to wait 2-5 years to see what will really happen.

First thing that we'll need to wait and see for is the _actual_ Brexit .... since those who pushed for it all ran away from having to make that decision (clever move by Cameron, lame-ass moves by Farange and Johnson), this whole thing might actually never happen - just all the negative side-effects from this move, but no actual results.

I like that "experts" never step a foot in other countries talking about how good or bad to live there..aka Soviet Union, Bulgaria, Kazahstan etc. ...if you want to know about it ask ppl who live in that country (Bulgaria anyone?...tell me how was Bulgaria doing b4 1989 and now?)

42 minutes ago, Phil B said:

First thing that we'll need to wait and see for is the _actual_ Brexit .... since those who pushed for it all ran away from having to make that decision (clever move by Cameron, lame-ass moves by Farange and Johnson), this whole thing might actually never happen - just all the negative side-effects from this move, but no actual results.

You are aware that Boris got taken out by Gove in some what of Francis Urquhart move (house of cards reference UK version) which meant he could not run as this was a hatchet job on him.

3 minutes ago, Will 4 said:

You are aware that Boris got taken out by Gove in some what of Francis Urquhart move (house of cards reference UK version) which meant he could not run as this was a hatchet job on him.

Michael Gove sir is no Francis Urquhart, wouldn't be that sharp.

9 minutes ago, brickolodon said:

I like that "experts" never step a foot in other countries talking about how good or bad to live there..aka Soviet Union, Bulgaria, Kazahstan etc. ...if you want to know about it ask ppl who live in that country (Bulgaria anyone?...tell me how was Bulgaria doing b4 1989 and now?)

At who's expense?

12 minutes ago, Phil B said:

No I was not.

You should with no insult meant read up on news around the world.

For instance Trump is trying to acquire money from foreign politicians for his campaign or how the Austrian vote for president was annulled and now they will have a re-run.