REMAIN or LEAVE...What will happen to the non-US LEGO investor?

16 minutes ago, Will 4 said:

Perhaps we could replace Texas after Texit.

For all of the faults of Texas, at least it doesn't have a queen!

I definitely agree that removing the people that govern you should always be a necessity.  Maybe, this will create a precedent, and instead of collapsing the EU, will force the system to devise a more democratic institution so that it can save itself.  But, the EU has created better conditions for citizens that were in extremely restrictive and regressive governments, I also think it's provided a relatively calm era in what is usually a continent strife in constant war and turmoil. What was the old eastern bloc is now actually becoming a stronger bastion of democracy and in a sense, the EU has helped foster that.  But, i'm afraid that era might be over.  This maybe the fall of that fragile system, and the old tribes will be back to infighting, and those of us in the states will have to send our sons and daughters to bail Europe out once again.  I hope it doesn't get to that point.

Edited by fossilrock

Guest TabbyBoy
1 minute ago, kiltyoneal said:

Now Italy, France, Holland and Denmark are calling for EU referendums.

I'm now glad that I didn't throw away my old Liras, Francs and Guilders. I'm pretty sure the French and Dutch will be out next. What worries me now is Putin!

2 minutes ago, kiltyoneal said:

Now Italy, France, Holland and Denmark are calling for EU referendums.

Now... wouldn't that be something.

Brittain will be ok after the initial panic. Countries have survived for thousands of years being sovereign. And economic crises also happened whilst in the EU. 

Freedom has its price. And Brittain will pay that price for a while. 

1 hour ago, CrabslayerT said:

AH no it wasn't. All districts voted for Remain. 

Do you not count Antrim? According to the BBC they voted leave but then again they alleged a lot of things about Cliff Richard so who knows whether to trust them.

2 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

For all of the faults of Texas, at least it doesn't have a queen!

I definitely agree that removing the people that govern you should always be a necessity.  Maybe, this will create a precedent, and instead of collapsing the EU, will force the sytem to devise a more democratic institution to save itself.  But, the EU has created better conditions for citizens that were in extremely restrictive and regressive governments, I also think it's provided a relatively calm era in what is usually a continent strife in constant war and turmoil. What was the old eastern bloc is now actually becoming a stronger bastion of democracy.  In a sense, the EU has helped foster that.  But, i'm afraid that era might be over.  This maybe the fall, and then we will have to send our sons and daughters to bail Europe out once again.  I hope it doesn't get to that point.

Yup, the good ol oligarchy is the best way to spread democracy :rolleyes:

Not a day I'm proud to be British i have to say.  I live in an area where 60+% voted Leave and I guarantee you that the reason for such a big margin had nothing to do with the economy or European meddling, they voted Leave because they don't like coloured people. How they think leaving Europe will get rid of British born Pakistanis and Indians I'll never know but hey ho. 

On a brickvesting note.  All my forays on to European Amazon sites for cheap sets will probably stop now with sterling dropping. 

I didn't know you represented the views of all sixty percent in your constituency, how presumptuous of you. BTW the term you're looking for is black not coloured.

7 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I'm now glad that I didn't throw away my old Liras, Francs and Guilders. I'm pretty sure the French and Dutch will be out next. What worries me now is Putin!

At least he has experience - Trump and Boris are potentially more dangerous.

35 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

The UK needs a massive correction in house prices and they need to fall big time. I remember when I bought my first flat with a 100% mortgage on 4x salary. I earn a lot more now but, there's no way that 4x my salary will buy anything bigger than a telephone box these days. I don't fear Brexit as the Swiss aren't doing too bad, are they?

I think Boris & Donald will become very good friends in a few years time ;-)

Perhaps we'll become the 51st state?

Correction in house prices... what does the EU have to do with Chinese and Russian pushing up prices is still a good question. 

And the Swiss are part of the single market. Believe me, EU will do anything they can to make the British fall on their asses. Best deterrent for the other countries. If they could expect a soft fall on a cushion then EU will disintegrate tomorrow.

17 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

As an American, all of the recent discussions of the Brexit vote have really been intriguing.  With the votes being tabulated as I write this, what do non-US LEGO investors/resellers think of the situation and its effects on the various LEGO secondary markets?

PS: I usually don't want to get too involved in politics, but this has definite effects on all of us.  Please be respectful of others and their opinions.  Thanks...

I'm quoting Ed's original post... a number of posts have NOT been respectful of other BP members NOR has it remained on topic.

Please bring this back to how this affects LEGO investing. It is irrelevant to this topic which age voted to stay or go unless it has to do with LEGO investing. It's irrelevant if it was economic or immigration policy that turned voters to the leave vote unless it has to do with LEGO investing. It's irrelevant what happens in the lower 48 because of the leave vote unless it has to do with LEGO investing.

You guys can do better... posts will start disappearing... have a great day!

• Like 1

I just wanted to say thanks to Ed and the mods for letting this discussion play out a bit. It's educational reading the raw opinions of those outside of politics/media and more in the trenches. There was a bit of unnecessary bickering but, really, less than expected considering that both sides seem to have, at the least, some compelling arguments, and legitimate reasons to be upset at the other. Sounds like a tough spot to be in. Hopefully it works out for the best...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pedilego said:

I just wanted to say thanks to Ed and the mods for letting this discussion play out a bit. It's educational reading the raw opinions of those outside of politics/media and more in the trenches. There was a bit of unnecessary bickering but, really, less than expected considering that both sides seem to have, at the least, some compelling arguments, and legitimate reasons to be upset at the other. Sounds like a tough spot to be in. Hopefully it works out for the best...

I was at the beach... ;)

I understand people have strong opinions... I sure do... but it seems to have gone off the rails.

Personally I'm of the opinion it hurts the overall market. If the UK does go into a recession they are a big enough economy that it affects the global market. For example, if Canada has to bail out some companies or increase spending like the last biggie, then we'll be in a deficit budget for longer than expected and all the tax breaks and other bonuses from a healthy economy are just delayed.

• Like 1