Pirates 2015

steveviscious89

I am, however, intrigued by the mini firing canons. Those look like fun.

Looks like they're just the stud shooters from the Star Wars battle packs.

Are you saying that Lego may be targeting kids with the new Pirates line? Why would a toy company do such a thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpickeraaaaaaaswssssswssa

Lego can target kids and still have a very nice looking set that even an adult would enjoy.  Look at Black Seas Barracuda or Eldorado Fortress.  I still build and display these sets as an adult, and I had a ton of fun with them when I got them as an 8 year old.

I for one am pretty disappointed if these are anywhere close to the final product.  Especially the ship, but honestly I didn't expect much after the announcement of that horribly bland name.  Looks like Lego put their B-team on the pirates line, tells me they really don't care that much about it.

My point is that if all they do is target AFOLS then in short order there will not be any more AFOLS. Lego needs to bring in the next generation of fans. Just look at model trains. I was at a train show a few months ago and 80% of the attendees were 40 or over. That is not a sustainable demographic. It's like having a business with a rising market share in a declining market. Everything appears fine, until the market disappears.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpickeraaaaaaaswssssswssa

Looks like they're just the stud shooters from the Star Wars battle packs.

Lego can target kids and still have a very nice looking set that even an adult would enjoy. Look at Black Seas Barracuda or Eldorado Fortress. I still build and display these sets as an adult, and I had a ton of fun with them when I got them as an 8 year old.

I for one am pretty disappointed if these are anywhere close to the final product. Especially the ship, but honestly I didn't expect much after the announcement of that horribly bland name. Looks like Lego put their B-team on the pirates line, tells me they really don't care that much about it.

.. while the A team was busy designing the Tumbler, Slave-1, Santa's Workshop, and the myriad of awesome sets for The LEGO Movie. ;) Although I won't say they do not care about the Pirates line, I would agree that their pool of designers are being stretched too thin due to the number of sets in production.

I know I am in the minority, but I actually like these sets. I have a soft spot for the more "basic" looking sets, I really like the two "My First Build" castle sets that came out a few years back. Reminds me of my sets from when I was a kid, I suppose. I was one of the weirdos a little disappointed when the Castle theme went from the Lion/Black Falcons to the more "detailed" castle line in the early 90's. 

I know I am in the minority, but I actually like these sets. I have a soft spot for the more "basic" looking sets, I really like the two "My First Build" castle sets that came out a few years back. Reminds me of my sets from when I was a kid, I suppose. I was one of the weirdos a little disappointed when the Castle theme went from the Lion/Black Falcons to the more "detailed" castle line in the early 90's. 

I don't mind "basic" looking sets.  I'm disappointed with the lack of range and creativity.  There are 4 very small sets and then a $100 ship that looks too similar to the last one, right down to the name.  Where is the soldier's ship?  Where's the large soldier's fort?  Hopefully wave 2?

I don't mind "basic" looking sets. I'm disappointed with the lack of range and creativity. There are 4 very small sets and then a $100 ship that looks too similar to the last one, right down to the name. Where is the soldier's ship? Where's the large soldier's fort? Hopefully wave 2?

I wouldn't be too surprised actually... LEGO did this with Ultra Agents and Galaxy Squad. Depends on popularity one would think.

As said above the worst part about the new pirate line is the EXACT same things we already have, sure Kids at age 10 do not have 8 year old sets (or more) but we do.................... 

Also the downside for me, is the fact that Pirate Ship looks too happy bright (sails + logo) If sails would be total black it would be alot cooler.......

Also the downside for me, is the fact that Pirate Ship looks too happy bright (sails + logo) If sails would be total black it would be alot cooler.......

For me it's good they're not black but classic Lego Pirates style))  But I'm probably the only one here who didn't really like the look of both POTC ships. 

For me it's good they're not black but classic Lego Pirates style))  But I'm probably the only one here who didn't really like the look of both POTC ships. 

I dont mind the style of the build, its the color that im tired of (white and red) Give us greencoats and purple pirate sails or something, not the blue red over and over again.......... just as tiresome as the castle colors.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just seen the official pictures (not the inofficials that already have been posted here before...) and I cannot say that I'm looking forward to get any of those.

Pirates has been one of my favorite themes, though it always has been ranked behind knights and space.

Though I really like that LEGO brings back the official pirates theme I don't see any improvements, it is as if the LEGO-designers looked at the old sets and decided that they have to make the new ones less good.

Let's start with the juniors easy to build set: This one might actually be the only one that is partly better than its predecessor, but only because of the new design probably.

The new pirate ship (brickbounty): I don't want to say that it is bad... but seriously it's just like a random pirate ship. There really is nothing special about it. There have been better pirate ships in the pirate themes before.

They even have taken the same design for many minifigs (which does not have to be bad!)

When it comes to the ship I don't see many improvements either... it's pretty much the same ship that has been out before, maybe there are some new windows  and some other colours here and there but all in all... nothing special (sadly).

To be fair they had a huge pirate thing going on with pirates of the caribbean and there have been great ships (black pearl, queen ann's revenge, imperial flagship).

But still, to me the pirate-ship or the imperial ship are the heart pieces of the theme. It would have been nice to see a small ship like the one they are going to bring out and another bigger pirate ship that is going to kick asses!

The soldiers fort:

Yeah... looks more like some poor fellows stranded somewhere. I mean seriously there have been soliders forts out there before and probably all of them have been bigger. This set is like the alternative to a ship, the one that also could be the main set of the theme... but this one is like a bad joke.

They should have build a real imperial fort, like a small island (small = big in LEGO size) with about 10 soldiers and maybe 3 pirates. There could have been a main gate and a backdoor, some prison cells, a couple of canons that are aiming at sea and of course a small harbor.

Not to forget a small kitchen and rooms for the soldiers as well as a place to practice sword fight and gun fight.

The splendid office of the general could have been a nice add on.

Soldiers outpost:

So if I put both together I still have some poor fellows that have been stranded somewhere... no fort or outpost or whatsoever...

I know it's for children okay... and it's cool to have those small sets but rather as add-on, like you could add this one set to the battle of helms deep (LOTR theme).

Last but not least (or maybe least? no...) the shipwrack defence:

I see what you did there LEGO but... I see so many ways how you could have done it better and it makes me wonder how you couldn't!

This could have been a great set or a series of small sets (to keep them affordable) but what's that?

In conclusion the LEGO pirates theme will have only small sets but the pirate ship which really is nothing special (and not that big at all).

If you ask me they could have made a pirate town, a nice harbor, a cool imperial fort, a real shipwreck! a treasure island... so many possibilities...

It only leaves me with disappointment and I do not think that I will buy any of them.

I still have hopes for the theme though, but I don't see much potential in those investment-wise (maybe the ship but actually no...)

Edited by Locutus001

i have to agree with you, I think they did a good basic job on these sets, but my first impression is that they may be testing the waters to see if it is going to come back in force or if they are just doing a throwback collection for those (such as myself) who missed out on the pirate sets originally.  i think they look good

But even if they are testing the waters they should bring out some cooler sets.

I mean they do have the bricks for it and taking an old fort and improve it would have been that much better.

Personally I really like the idea of small sets that are still affordable which you can add to each other and build a big one with them.

In my opinion this is what they should have done.

Some new stuff for the old collectors also never hurts. I mean if you children already have like 3 pirate ships and now comes a small insignificant one... why should you buy it?

Of course there will be people who missed out on previous sets but there still is no point in keeping the sets so little appealing.

(But maybe it's only me because I still know the older sets and even back than wished for bigger and better forts and ships ;-) )

so true! i didnt say i wasnt going to get them, i think they have some really cool parts, i like how each cannon is mounted, and how they have the mini guns on the tops of the forts and the boat, hopefully this is the beginning of a huge collection, i think that they could do a fort like the castle sets, using these pieces to just look fantastic

Does anyone know the retail on the pirate ship? At only 745 pieces will it be priced as such, or will it push $100 or more like pirate ships of the past. I had good success with brickbeards bounty a few years ago, so this set is probably the only one I will consider buying a few of if the right sale comes along.

Does anyone know the retail on the pirate ship? At only 745 pieces will it be priced as such, or will it push $100 or more like pirate ships of the past. I had good success with brickbeards bounty a few years ago, so this set is probably the only one I will consider buying a few of if the right sale comes along.

I'm surprised at how very similar the new Brick Bounty is to the old Brickbeard's Bounty. I would have expected more creativity to be shown, instead of an almost reproduction.

Official images revealed!  Here or here.  Pretty cool as for me, I love the ship! :) 

Oh boy... I keep looking at them.  I'll probably end up having all of them))  The minifigures are really great!  The fort is lame (too small), hope for the 2nd wave.

czI1U6h.png

Edited by Ronda

Sorry to say this line seemed to be designed by the B team while the A team was busy designing TLM, the Tumbler, Simpsons House, and various SW sets... :(

Lol, the outpost is very similar in size to the fort... :D

I've got to agree with you.  I'm fairly underwhelmed by these.

I think the only saving grace here is The Brick Bounty.  I want to see it in person.  I was pretty underwhelmed with Metalbeard's Sea Cow.  Then I saw it in person.  Wow!

Sorry to say this line seemed to be designed by the B team while the A team was busy designing TLM, the Tumbler, Simpsons House, and various SW sets... :(

Lol, the outpost is very similar in size to the fort... :D

Sorry but I cannot agree.  "A team" was designing modulars :)

• Like 1