Pirates 2015

steveviscious89

I think current sales will count for diddly squat, rarity will make this a stone wall winner if it retires now. If it turns out to be a turkey I'll eat a bowl of bricks and post the video on here. Look at reviews of the zombies, most didn't like it and look how that panned out. Town Hall was disliked, boxes sat on the shelf and didn't move and yet some eBay sales have hit triple retail price. Early retirement + Christmas = winner

• Like 1

I just have trouble believing this theme is done. I mean it came out in March of 2015 so that would mean retirement in roughly 6 months. Have any other themes retired so soon? I do remember some thought the Arctic theme was going to retire shortly after it came out but it's still going strong today almost 1.5 years later.

As far as comparing the Brick Bounty to Zombies.....I don't think you can do that. Brick Bounty is the flagship set of the Pirates line. If it goes, the whole line goes whereas Zombies retired much earlier than the rest of the Monster Fighters line.

Are we sure the "call to check availability" just means that they haven't updated the computers with a new run yet? All we have so far suggesting retiring is the "call to check" status and the one Lego CS UK rep and we know how reliable those are....

I won't speak my opinion about this sets performance in general - However, in response to people saying - "They can't retire this yet, it's only been out since March!" -

A few things to consider:

1. The latest "Castle" sets were avail apx 1.5 years. No, not quite as short as this run, but certainly a pretty quick ride. It may be a trend in the "Classic" theme lines, short runs because the appeal is narrowing (Probably the AFOL who has fond memories of them)

2. Many of the POTC line were out for about 1.5 years as well. However, The Black Pearl was avail for only 11 months. 

3. Shelf space: 2016 is a pretty big year for LEGO - New themes include Angry Birds, Nexo Knights - the Juniors theme continues to expand and lord knows we'll get a barrage of Star Wars sets. In addition, City (Fire) is getting a refresh, Bionicle, Ninjago is "back", etc etc. There's only so much room out there. Themes like Castle and Pirate with small set runs I think are basically DESIGNED as easily replacible filler. 

4. Dimensions - Yes, the sets aren't in the same spot, but they can only promo and sell so many things. Dimensions is obviously "kind of a big deal" for TLG.

So for this set/theme to disappear between Christmas and spring I think would be completely reasonable given the circumstances. 

• Like 2

4. Dimensions - Yes, the sets aren't in the same spot, but they can only promo and sell so many things. Dimensions is obviously "kind of a big deal" for TLG.

Excellent point, it looks like Dimensions is going to be huge for Lego. Add the Star Wars movie release into the mix, i can see lots of EOL surprises coming earlier than anticipated.

With truth tactic you can get it today around 65.00 with free bricktober set...

Ok, this must be YMMV because I can't figure out what combination you are using to get to this price.  Are you using multiple % coupons, discounted gift cards, or price adjustments in addition to the trifecta of 20% off coupon, 10% TRUTH, and $5 off $25?

Ok, this must be YMMV because I can't figure out what combination you are using to get to this price.  Are you using multiple % coupons, discounted gift cards, or price adjustments in addition to the trifecta of 20% off coupon, 10% TRUTH, and $5 off $25?

I could be wrong, but I believe they are factoring in the value of the bricktober set. Perhaps?

I also feel obligated to mention that with the increasing price of the last kings castle, I'm very sorry now that I didn't buy 5-10 of those when TRU was clearing them out.

I think current sales will count for diddly squat, rarity will make this a stone wall winner if it retires now. If it turns out to be a turkey I'll eat a bowl of bricks and post the video on here. Look at reviews of the zombies, most didn't like it and look how that panned out. Town Hall was disliked, boxes sat on the shelf and didn't move and yet some eBay sales have hit triple retail price. Early retirement + Christmas = winner

Keep us doubters informed of how you get on with these - I am genuinely interested and in other times might have taken a chance on these but my inventory is big enough already.

For what it's worth, Walmart Canada clearance the Pirates theme line except the Brick Bounty about 3-4 weeks ago.

Sigh... is it just me, or there just can never be enough money to buy enough of "potential retirement sets."

Learning that you can't buy it all is one of the biggest hurdles I think most new Brickvestors face. You are far from alone.

Had they come out with an innovative ship like Imperial Frigate (but smaller obviously) and nice outpost buildings, these would have been gobbled up.

Perhaps but more than likely people would have only found other reasons to complain about then again reminisce on how the classic sets from many years ago were so much better. The builds here are simple but unless LEGO will bring back the big baseplates of old, this is how it's going to be. Also considering the price points for all sets except the 'flagship', it seems LEGO meant for the whole line to be more easily collectible and expandable by the majority (with a heavy emphasis on expandable) in a similar aspect to the last Castle line.

I cleared out my local TRU of the Brick Bounty, a whopping 3 sets.  I paid almost exactly $90 each, out the door including tax.  I processed this as 3 transactions, and got 3 bricktober promos as well.  It worked like this:  TRU has BB marked down to $93.99, 10% TRUTH made this $84.60.  Add my local 7.5% tax, and you get $90.95/ea.  Plus 3 Bricktober promos.  Decent enough deal, not spectacular, and if BB is really going poof, this might be a very good play.

Before people go insane buying these up, just remember TRU has a little bit of a history hoarding underperforming lines. They had tons of Monster Fighters long after they were gone from SAH, and tons of Castle after the same. And obviously they have them online, so there could be a large quantity of these to go through.

• Like 2