Pirates 2015

steveviscious89

i was at 2 TRU / 2 Target / 1 WM yesterday and today. I found over 20 Pirates ship on the shelf. This scare me to buy even 1. 

The Pirates theme may not have performed as well as they'd hoped (assuming this is the reason for they're pulling the plug) but consider that it's a classic theme, like castle and will always have a fanbase. Personally I think the RRP is high so getting it at a discount would soften the blow. It comes down to personal preference. This will clearly be a profitable set but will it give better ROI than a Pet Shop, Red 5 or DS? It's a tough call.

The Pirates theme may not have performed as well as they'd hoped (assuming this is the reason for they're pulling the plug) but consider that it's a classic theme, like castle and will always have a fanbase. Personally I think the RRP is high so getting it at a discount would soften the blow. It comes down to personal preference. This will clearly be a profitable set but will it give better ROI than a Pet Shop, Red 5 or DS? It's a tough call.

Well... probably better than the DS as it seems to never ever go EOL...

4. Dimensions - Yes, the sets aren't in the same spot, but they can only promo and sell so many things. Dimensions is obviously "kind of a big deal" for TLG.

My local TRUs have put them with the regular LEGO... not sure if that's long term or short term but they are redoing their LEGO sections to use more "LEGO-esque" shelving and end caps (the big yellow stuff) and the Dimensions are nicely placed on half a row's shelves.

I agree its a big deal and it has been allocated a lot of shelf space.

... This will clearly be a profitable set but will it give better ROI than a Pet Shop, Red 5 or DS? It's a tough call.

I was faced with a similar question at TRU yesterday... get a Brick Bounty 70413 (have zero in my inventory)... or 2 more Wall-E (already have a handful)?  I had to go for Wall-E again...  Maybe this set is a good money maker at a $65 buy in... but better than the other options out there right now?  I don't know.

Has anyone said it yet? ... I think the Bounty could have done much better with black sails ... or even white sails (with a black skull & crossbones)... why did they do the red & white stripe?  Is there some historical accuracy to that or something?  It just looks like a kids birthday party, not a fearsome pirate ship.

• Like 2

Hmmm...secret gems?  I seem to remember someone around here talking about it...

I saw this set in store and it looks really boring and small but let us assume that it reaches $200 for NIB (or 125 used).  Why would someone spend $200 on this set, to build it, when they could get a Black Seas Barracuda instead or most of a BP/QAR.  I think that this set is best bought if you can make your own deal out of it because it might have a very low ceiling ($200 might be the ceiling) unless there are a lot of pirates that are missing this for their collection. 

I saw this set in store and it looks really boring and small but let us assume that it reaches $200 for NIB (or 125 used).  Why would someone spend $200 on this set, to build it, when they could get a Black Seas Barracuda instead or most of a BP/QAR.  I think that this set is best bought if you can make your own deal out of it because it might have a very low ceiling ($200 might be the ceiling) unless there are a lot of pirates that are missing this for their collection. 

Maybe.  Set desirability during release doesn't always predict value post EOL when completionists are involved.  Exhibit A, Market Street.  Easily the worst modular, had a $89 buy in, and is now the best performer NIB.  If Lego Ship collectors want BB to complete the collection, the shortcomings in design will matter little.  Short life plus low inventory will drive up the price.  

Edited by diablo2112
  • Like 2

The biggest investing mistake I made when eagerly jumping into this hobby back in June was to immediately buy several sets off of Lego.com at full price with no particular strategy in mind, including 2 Brick Bounties. It didn't take long for me to realize what a dumb mistake that was. So this chatter about possible early retirement has got me excited that I will at least make my money back on these :)

• Like 1

If you do it right, your buy in isn't $99.  You can achieve 2-2.5x buy in on the set.

I do agree that the ceiling isn't that high on this set.  But it is high enough that I won't complain about returns like that.

If you do it right, your buy in isn't $99.  You can achieve 2-2.5x buy in on the set.

I do agree that the ceiling isn't that high on this set.  But it is high enough that I won't complain about returns like that.

Maybe.  Set desirability during release doesn't always predict value post EOL when completionists are involved.  Exhibit A, Market Street.  Easily the worst modular, had a $89 buy in, and is now the best performer NIB.  If Lego Ship collectors want BB to complete the collection, the shortcomings in design will matter little.  Short life plus low inventory will drive up the price.  

I am not saying don't buy, I am simply noting that I don't see this set going over $200 in the next 2 years but this set is a definite buy with discounts.  Of course, I am not near a TRU and have not figured out a great way to make my own deal yet.

You cant have two sets called the BB so when the Brick Bank comes out the Brick Bounty must go, I hope.  Started buying these yesterday at TRU like others have said for the buy in with the promo not much risk.

It was very tempting to make a BBC joke from your post but I censored myself.

When Lego get requests from all toyshops for more of these due to a recent sales spurt, I wonder what will happen.