Pirates 2015

steveviscious89

I thought the 2009 sets were fantastic, they captured a lot of the old charm of the 90's sets, I just wish they were larger and had more of them, the selection wasn't very big (it never has been for pirates) but they discontinued so quick I was never able to get them. They need to reboot and keep it going for 3-4 years so the theme can build a bit, I am not a fan of microthemes as a lot of great sets get passed over down the road because they weren't around long enough to capture peoples attention and build notoriety.

• 1 year later...

Would be really cool to get a new pirate theme, even cooler if we get some blue coats :thumbsup:   I just hope the ships are more like the Imperial Flagship and less like Brickbeard's Bounty.  I don't have BB, but it seemed a little too goofy for my tastes, I like more realism in my ships.

• Like 1

A new Pirate series would be great.  I hope they don't continue the trend of using larger and larger single pieces instead of actually building a model.

Before we know it, Lego construction will resemble plastic model building where you most often get an entire molded car body and then construct the innards.

Trains, planes, coast guard, helicopters, superheroes and a few others are guilt of this.

Sure it gets the model a bit more "accurate" in appearance but in my own opinion I prefer more building - more pieces.

• Like 1

Just give me a pirate equivalent of 10210 and I will be the happiest man on earth :) More pirates and castle exclusives please!

As for the large single pieces, as long as they don't appear in exclusives I am quite content. Just compare Kingdoms Joust with any other large recent castle. No panels in KJ, beautiful build. Also they don't use those pieces to make the model more accurate, but to reduce costs imho.

Just give me a pirate equivalent of 10210 and I will be the happiest man on earth :) More pirates and castle exclusives please!

As for the large single pieces, as long as they don't appear in exclusives I am quite content. Just compare Kingdoms Joust with any other large recent castle. No panels in KJ, beautiful build. Also they don't use those pieces to make the model more accurate, but to reduce costs imho.

I have built several MOC using the 10210 as a platform.  I use more of classic "pirate" colors and utilize sails from either 6285 or 6286.  Bought extras of both.

Boasting without photos is not cool, but I have since dismantled and created three version of 6286 I can not show it.  The only thing left built is a partial ship wall.

However I do have 3 MOC 6286 series ships.

One is for Blue coats (using 6274 sails, one is for redcoats (using 6285 sails), and one pirate (using 6286 sails).  Each has added cannon ports and two forward cannons to engage another ship while in pursuit.

Can post photos later as I am not home at the moment.

I plan to revisit a pirate 10210 build as I prefer the added deck it has compared to vintage ships.

Did people consider the POTC theme a substitute for a Pirates theme, similar to how they consider Lone Ranger a substitute for a western theme?  POTC was before I got back into building/collecting.

I would love to see what they come up with.  I never had one of the ships, but always wanted one when I was younger.

This would be awesome. My absolute favorite as a kid was the 6285. Finally got one from a craigslist lot. We should all totally build MOCs of the ships we would like to see. That is the great part about Lego, we can build what we want to have!

I sure hope it is a full line instead of a single ship, they can't make enough pirates for me.

I thought Pirates 2009 was fantastic, unfortunately the theme didn't get a very large lineup and did poorly, I just hope we can get our next generation of kids into pirates. For me, it was one of the highlights of my childhood to play with the Black Seas Barracuda, Caribbean Clipper, Elderado Fortress and Forbidden Island. 

A reboot of this theme will be a hit for AFOL's for sure, but will kids like it? As much as I'd love more large ships, I would also like some good large ports and islands, a bit like the Rock Island Refuge, Imperial Trading Post, Forbidden Island and Elderado Fortress. 

• Like 1

As much as I'd love more large ships, I would also like some good large ports and islands, a bit like the Rock Island Refuge, Imperial Trading Post, Forbidden Island and Elderado Fortress. 

I was thinking the same thing, harbors, islands with buried treasure, ports Royal & Tortuga, that sort of thing.  Don't get me wrong, wouldn't mind another big ship (UCS style), maybe a mid-size cutter and one or two smaller sloops or longboats -- but I'd really love to see some places.  Maybe a series like the Winter Village or a couple of sets like Medieval Village that build up together to make a port town with harbor, wharf, chandlery, ship-yard, tavern/inn, etc.

Then again, something like Pirates of the 7 seas -- where they produce 7 iconic ship designs from the world over, like a Barbary Pirates set, a Chinese Junk, a Spanish treasure galleon, an east Indian trader, an american privateer, etc -- maybe get outlandish and throw in a viking ship.

• Like 1

Then again, something like Pirates of the 7 seas -- where they produce 7 iconic ship designs from the world over, like a Barbary Pirates set, a Chinese Junk, a Spanish treasure galleon, an east Indian trader, an american privateer, etc -- maybe get outlandish and throw in a viking ship.

And a Somali for the 7th :D :

somali-pirates_article.jpg

By the way I agree that a MMV-like port town would be the way to go for the next AFOL Pirates set.

• Like 1

That would be so awesome. Do a ship or two a year.

Wonder if this means the license for Pirates of the Caribbean has run out? I had originally heard there was going to be another movie but that it got pushed back. Perhaps it was scrapped altogether and that's why LEGO has decided to move forward with their own pirates theme?