Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Movie Discussion

Ed Mack

8 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/05/big-news-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-character-names-ships-descriptions-more/

Finally, some details are emerging for Rogue One, including ships and character names. 

I'm convinced this will be a set:

9781942556411_il_7_e8477.jpg?fit=1000%2C

This one immediately made me think of Wipeout.

wo_manual_2097_8_0.jpg

It will be interesting to see how they make the dual thin front pieces sturdy enough for kids to play with.

1 hour ago, c_rpg said:

This one immediately made me think of Wipeout.

wo_manual_2097_8_0.jpg

It will be interesting to see how they make the dual thin front pieces sturdy enough for kids to play with.

Agreed. Kind of reminds me of a cross between an a-wing and a jedi interceptor. 

I think it's definitely going to be one of the 5 sets. 

the entire cockpit section looks like a repurposed Y-Wing. I think it's ugly and smacks of being new and different just for the sake of being new and different. I almost resent the shoehorning of new troops and vehicles front loaded before ANH. I mean, I can understand that it's possible that they were always there just not in use on the few planets that we saw in the OT, but I would assume that we would have seen them during Endor when the Rebel Fleet brought everything together to attack the Imperial fleet.

6 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

the entire cockpit section looks like a repurposed Y-Wing. I think it's ugly and smacks of being new and different just for the sake of being new and different. I almost resent the shoehorning of new troops and vehicles front loaded before ANH. I mean, I can understand that it's possible that they were always there just not in use on the few planets that we saw in the OT, but I would assume that we would have seen them during Endor when the Rebel Fleet brought everything together to attack the Imperial fleet.

Well of course they are just trying to shoehorn in new vehicles so they can sell toys. They have a multi billion dollar empire to sustain.   Come on man.  :jester: At least they could have done a better job with the design though.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jbacunn said:

Well of course they are just trying to shoehorn in new vehicles so they can sell toys. They have a multi billion dollar empire to sustain.   Come on man.  :jester: At least they could have done a better job with the design though.  

It's kind of obvious they are trying to avoid the glossy stuff from the prequels.  They will probably have to rethink this decision someday in the future.

3 hours ago, fossilrock said:

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/05/big-news-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-character-names-ships-descriptions-more/

Finally, some details are emerging for Rogue One, including ships and character names. 

So for the anti-stick people, apparently Donnie Yen's stick/staff can be turned to bowcaster like blaster :P:P:P 

36 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

It's doubtful they would have brought everything together. Any rebellion worth its salt would have operations in more than one theatre of war, and you don't want to risk losing your entire fleet/army in one place. The Empire knew they were coming and didn't have more than a fraction of their fleet in waiting. 

• Like 2

It's doubtful they would have brought everything together. Any rebellion worth its salt would have operations in more than one theatre of war, and you don't want to risk losing your entire fleet/army in one place. The Empire knew they were coming and didn't have more than a fraction of their fleet in waiting. 

Like on D-day?

• Like 1

On 5/21/2016 at 0:01 AM, Rodeogeorge said:

All eggs were in one basket.

Not at all. As I mentioned earlier, Allied forces were simultaneously sizeably engaged on many fronts at this very time, including Italy, Africa, the Atlantic, and that's not even counting the operations against Japan on the other side of the world or even the Russian contribution. No military commander puts all his eggs in one basket. Even at D-day itself, it is estimated that about 1 million Allied forces took part, but that there were 3 million stationed in Britain. They didn't even commit the majority of their forces in England, let alone the entire theatre of war. The rest of the English forces would come across over the ensuing months.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I've seen several reports today.

Rogue One: Disney orders reshoot after poor test screenings
The Week UK - 5h ago

http://goo.gl/lMDRQU

Based on the daily movie news shows that I listen to (I recommend Collider Movie Talk for anybody particularly into movies), here's my initial take:

• There's this recurring narrative re-shoots = something's wrong but re-shoots are commonly planned way ahead for these big-budget films for a variety of reasons.
  • What's important is whether or not the poor test screening report is accurate. Seeing "several" reports doesn't add credibility since there's a good chance they're basically reports on reports on one original report.
  • Remember even if the report(s) are true, the re-shoots and edits could work wonders.

Possible? Definitely. Maybe we should be more cautious with our expectations but it's pre-mature for fanboys to panic.