Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Movie Discussion

Ed Mack

54 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

No pics, but here's the possible list of minifigure names for each set.

• 75152 Imperial Tank
    Minifigs : Chirrut, 2 x Tank Troopers

• 75153 AT-ST
    Minifigs : Baze, Rebel Trooper, AT-ST Driver

• 75154 TIE Striker
    Minifigs : Tie Pilot, Rebel Trooper, Shoretrooper, Imperial Soldier

• 75155 Rebel Starfighter
    Minifigs : Jyn Erso, Cassian Andor, Bestan, Rebel Pilot, Rebel Trooper

• 75156 Imperial Shuttle
    Minifigs : Bodhi, Pad, K-250 Enforcer Droid, Director Krennic, Death Trooper(s)

I've been hooked on spoilers/leaks to this movie from the beginning, and I must say they structured these minifigs so you have to buy them all if you want all the key characters.  Heck, they did the same thing with the Fellowship in the first LOTR wave, and the dwarves in the first few hobbit movies.  So, it's to be expected. 

But, overall I am happy with these sets.  I was a little disappointed in this years winter and summer waves, so these make up for it in my opinion.  Of course, that's before i've seen the movie, and really get to know the characters but overall the sets seem well thought out.  I also like how there is only 1 set that has any link to the OT.  To me, this wave beats last years Force Awakens Force Friday wave.  Can't wait to see what they cook up for the winter battle packs.

I trust Entertainment Weekly more than I do the New York Post.  Here's some information gathered by EW.  In the words of the Hitchhiker's Guide...Don't Panic!

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/03/rogue-one-reshoots

This makes sense. They simply don't have time to reshoot a significant percentage of the movie without moving the release date. If they move the release date then you know there is a significant problem. Like the article said, TFA had reshoots as well and that turned out just fine.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2016 at 1:23 AM, Alpinemaps said:

I trust Entertainment Weekly more than I do the New York Post.  Here's some information gathered by EW.  In the words of the Hitchhiker's Guide...Don't Panic!

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/03/rogue-one-reshoots

Begin the re-panic. I have trusted this source on movies and other media for literally decades and have seldom been driven wrong. This does not look good at all. 

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/43392/-rogue-one-enlists-another-for-reshoots

I don't know what to believe.  Edwards' Godzilla wasn't a great film, but this article you shared seems to indicate that Disney is making Rogue One less dark and more kid friendly. 

Prequels almost always suck because they are shoehorned into a previous timeline and we know what happens afterwards.

In fact, has there ever been a great prequel movie?

3 minutes ago, sauromosis said:

I don't know what to believe.  Edwards' Godzilla wasn't a great film, but this article you shared seems to indicate that Disney is making Rogue One less dark and more kid friendly. 

Prequels almost always suck because they are shoehorned into a previous timeline and we know what happens afterwards.

Not great, but I thought "Prometheus" was decent.  Not many others come to mind.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, exciter1 said:

Not great, but I thought "Prometheus" was decent.  Not many others come to mind.

I liked Temple of Doom myself, which was set before Raiders. Revenge of the Sith is often ranked/rated higher than Return of the Jedi. The Hobbit movies weren't bad in general though there were some scenes that needed reworking. Desolation of Smaug was solid. Half of the Godfather Part 2 is a prequel and it's rated pretty high.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Prometheus was a great movie if you did not think of it as prequel, but as reboot of the Aliens universe

10 minutes ago, sauromosis said:

Terminator 2 :devil:

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Prometheus was a great movie if you did not think of it as prequel, but as reboot of the Aliens universe

"Terminator 2" was on my mind. I thought about it for a minute and convinced myself it wasn't a prequel.

21 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

I liked Temple of Doom myself, which was set before Raiders. Revenge of the Sith is often ranked/rated higher than Return of the Jedi. The Hobbit movies weren't bad in general though there were some scenes that needed reworking. Desolation of Smaug was solid. Half of the Godfather Part 2 is a prequel and it's rated pretty high.

Maybe Temple of Doom is the best ever.  No way I'm putting Sith over Jedi.  Hobbit movies were terrible...the first started ok but by the third I didn't understand any of the creative choices made.

1 minute ago, sauromosis said:

Maybe Temple of Doom is the best ever.  No way I'm putting Sith over Jedi.  Hobbit movies were terrible...the first started ok but by the third I didn't understand any of the creative choices made.

I had no idea "Temple of Doom" was supposed to take place before "Raiders"?

23 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

How is T2 a prequel? The scenes in the past are more recent than T1, and the scenes in the future are more futuristic than T1.

28 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Not great, but I thought "Prometheus" was decent.

There were some disappointing moments for me from this movie but I always find the Alien universe so intriguing.  I am excited to see what they do with Alien: Covenant next year.  Fassbender's character was solid and I'm glad to see him back. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

With all of the screeching, Temple of Doom always gave me headache and definitely the weakest of 3 original Indy movies.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sauromosis said:

Hobbit movies were terrible...the first started ok but by the third I didn't understand any of the creative choices made.

As a big LOTR/Hobbit fan I couldn't even sit through the BOTFA for a second viewing.  There were some incredible moments throughout the three films but by the third one it felt stretched really thin and some of the scenes were very cringe-worthy.

Just now, Darth_Raichu said:

With all of the screeching, Temple of Doom always gave me headache and definitely the weakest of 3 original Indy movies.

It's my least favourite as well, but only because I really loved the other 2. It was more true to the spirit and tone of Raiders than Last Crusade, which was much more family friendly and jokey. No melting faces or burning hearts in that one. 

2 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

How is T2 a prequel? The scenes in the past are more recent than T1, and the scenes in the future are more futuristic than T1.

Events in present day T2 was before the future in T1 and I am going to stop there.  It was more of a joke hence the :devil:

Time travel movies are best not to be looked at closely. :D

• Like 3

Before Prometheus came out, I thought it was going to be one of the best movies ever.  I got an opening night ticket in IMAX 3-D.

It was not one of the best movies ever...the characters act insanely and the plot jumps around as if two movies were merged together.  I know they brought in that hack from "Lost" Lindelof who rewrote parts of the script, bringing in christian themes and such, and I think they just made it too quickly.

The visuals are awesome.  The story is a mess.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, sauromosis said:

Before Prometheus came out, I thought it was going to be one of the best movies ever.  I got an opening night ticket in IMAX 3-D.

It was not one of the best movies ever...the characters act insanely and the plot jumps around as if two movies were merged together.  I know they brought in that hack from "Lost" Lindelof who rewrote parts of the script, bringing in christian themes and such, and I think they just made it too quickly.

The visuals are awesome.  The story is a mess.

It's grown on me.  The doofs in the crew really grated on me during the first viewing.  The backstory and visuals really make it much more watchable after a 2nd or 3rd viewing.  I have friends who watch stuff in quantity and don't rewatch stuff.  I really think they are missing out.  I just finished watching "Game of Thrones" season 1 and I'm continuing on into season 2 again and the reintroduction of characters in S6 are much more fresh to me now.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

"Terminator 2" was on my mind. I thought about it for a minute and convinced myself it wasn't a prequel.

You were right. The timeline in the Terminator world is so screwed up any of sequels could be considered a prequel. They need to kill that franchise. It's too screwed up to save. 

• Like 1

Just now, jbacunn said:

You were right. The timeline in the Terminator world is so screwed up any of sequels could be considered a prequel. They need to kill that franchise. It's too screwed up to save. 

The last movie was horrible.  I actually enjoyed "Rise of the Machines" and "Salvation" was at least watchable.