75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 2 months later...

Yeah I have a 10188 in my collection and I would have to see what this new one looks like in order to decide whether or not to get it. Simply being bigger doesn't necessarily sell me on it. As it was the 10188 took me forever to build so building a bigger one doesn't strike me as particularly exciting. Plus I'm not sure I have room on my shelf for it.

I appreciate that legoland or Lego store staff can't be entirely relied upon from what others have written however... Asked about the new Death Star at Legoland Windsor today (any idea when it is being released)... Guy said he didn't know but expected it to be around Autumn (not exactly the most reliable answer) however he said all he knew for sure was the price! If this is true, he can be relied upon, etc then apparently it is going to be £400 GBP.

4 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I find that hard to believe. That would be around $600usd and $100 more then the UCS Falcon and be around 6500pc. This Death Star would be huge. I think it would be difficult for LEGO to move that.

I think they will have no difficulties. The issue is that only a few sets can be accepted with such a price. DS is one of them. 400 GBP is what I would expect. Anything below that would be underwhelming and get the Hoth treatment from the community.

• Like 2

Just now, inversion said:

I think they will have no difficulties. The issue is that only a few sets can be accepted with such a price. DS is one of them. 400 GBP is what I would expect. Anything below that would be underwhelming and get the Hoth treatment from the community.

I'm in agreement with you and I could see the us price be $500 since they discount sets in the us over Europe for what msrp is not saying fair of course it just happens

9 minutes ago, inversion said:

What if the product/offering resembles the effort/lack of that Hoth showed?

Is that even fathomable with a Death Star?

1 hour ago, Dark Helmet said:

I find that hard to believe. That would be around $600usd and $100 more then the UCS Falcon and be around 6500pc. This Death Star would be huge. I think it would be difficult for LEGO to move that.

I am guessing $499.99 USD for the set and then you can add your power functions. I imagine it will sell like hot cakes. Price may seem steep now but in 5 years probably not.

I am worried for our friends downunder. Going to be extremely expensive.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, asharerin said:

I am guessing $499.99 USD for the set and then you can add your power functions. I imagine it will sell like hot cakes. Price may seem steep now but in 5 years probably not.

I am worried for our friends downunder. Going to be extremely expensive.

Yes I'm thinking about 2 million pacific pesos. :)

On June 3, 2016 at 5:38 PM, Ed Mack said:

Regardless of the makeup of the new Death Star, the 10188 was an iconic set that will appreciate given some time.  The only question in my mind is whether it will be a $600 set or a $1600 set.  

It will never go $1600. Way too many of these were hoarded for that to occur. I would venture to say $1,000 would be a gift at this point. Heck, I would venture to say most speculators would be more than happy at $800 given the life span and mass media attention being paid to these kinds of sets. This set was in production for 8 long years and readily available at most online retailers as well. 

• Like 1

It will never go $1600. Way too many of these were hoarded for that to occur. I would venture to say $1,000 would be a gift at this point. Heck, I would venture to say most speculators would be more than happy at $800 given the life span and mass media attention being paid to these kinds of sets. This set was in production for 8 long years and readily available at most online retailers as well. 

How do you know how many were hoarded or sold? Hoarding of this set is not an issue. The remake is the issue.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, trekgate502 said:

I'm in agreement with you and I could see the us price be $500 since they discount sets in the us over Europe for what msrp is not saying fair of course it just happens

400 GBP (including 20% VAT) would translate to roughly €500 (VAT/sales tax included) in Germany. (Taking Germany because they consistently have the lowest LEGO prices).

Without 19% (German) sales-tax, that would amount to €420, which corresponds to approximately $477 (without sales tax) in the USA. I can see that being 'rounded up' to $499 in the US.

For a DS that's supposed to be bigger and better than 10188, and with price-inflation corrected since the 10188 was released, that doesn't sound unlikely at all.

Edited by Haay

I have a feeling the piece counts are going to be lower for the price that we were used to expecting from here on forward. I've noticed it with a couple of sets lately and think almost all of them will be moving this direction very soon.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, capsa77 said:

I have a feeling the piece counts are going to be lower for the price that we were used to expecting from here on forward. I've noticed it with a couple of sets lately and think almost all of them will be moving this direction very soon.

I mostly see that issue with Disney licenses. I have a feeling Disney bumped up the margin they require. 

Edited by inversion

2 hours ago, Haay said:

400 GBP (including 20% VAT) would translate to roughly €500 (VAT/sales tax included) in Germany. (Taking Germany because they consistently have the lowest LEGO prices).

Without 19% (German) sales-tax, that would amount to €420, which corresponds to approximately $477 (without sales tax) in the USA. I can see that being 'rounded up' to $499 in the US.

For a DS that's supposed to be bigger and better than 10188, and with price-inflation corrected since the 10188 was released, that doesn't sound unlikely at all.

More like $525 and they will find an excuse to raise it to 550

12 hours ago, ironbrick said:

No matter what you may think, it will eventually pass over $800.  It'll take a little time, but it will get there.  And I remember a while back Ed posted the top 10 hoarded sets or something, and IIRC, 10188 wasn't even close, by a long shot.

9 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

How do you know how many were hoarded or sold? Hoarding of this set is not an issue. The remake is the issue.

This, if it's very similar along the lines of 10188, the older set will eventually have a ceiling, because most people would rather just have one version and get the cheaper one.

It actually happened with a couple of other sets, where the prices actually dropped because the newer version was a must superior version to the older one.  Only the people who are obsessed with owning every version would most likely shell out that money.

5 minutes ago, citymorgue said:

I remember a while back Ed posted the top 10 hoarded sets or something, and IIRC, 10188 wasn't even close, by a long shot.

The 10188 was simply too expensive (and bulky) to have been hoarded by the masses.

Even those that did, stopped at some point (once it seemed as if it was never gonna go away).

12 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

Completely incorrect logic.

This ties into our discussion in the 'bubble' thread. You are attempting to use the argument that Lego is an extremely popular toy and as a result prices are less likely to fall. But then in another statement you are readily admitting that Super-Hero sets are extremely risky 'investments.' The same dynamics cannot be in play in both instances. In other words, you cannot have it both ways. Lego Star Wars is at an even more risky gamble at this point going forward than any other licensed property in the Lego universe.

Even the minifigures are starting to fall in value as they keep getting released in other sets. Couple that with counterfeiting and the whole market is speculative at best.

Post 2012, a lot of sets were hoarded. This set was on the market for 8 long years, and we both agree that a remake will hurt the value going forward; assuming it somewhat resembles this version.

Edited to add: Telling people that this set could go to $1600 is very premature and the market dynamics just don't support this assessment at this time.

Edited by ironbrick

1 minute ago, ironbrick said:

This ties into our discussion in the 'bubble' thread. You are attempting to use the argument that Lego is an extremely popular toy and as a result prices are less likely to fall. But then in another statement you are readily admitting that Super-Hero sets are extremely risky 'investments.' The same dynamics cannot be in play in both instances. In other words, you cannot have it both ways. Lego Star Wars is at an even more risky gamble at this point going forward than other licensed property in the Lego universe.

Even the minifigures are starting to fall in value as they keep getting released in other sets. Couple that with counterfeiting and the whole market is speculative at best.

Post 2012, a lot of sets were hoarded. This set was on the market for 8 long years, and we both agree that a remake will hurt the value going forward; assuming it somewhat resembles this version.

I think that you need to stop now, go to your room, and think about things for awhile.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ironbrick said:

This ties into our discussion in the 'bubble' thread. You are attempting to use the argument that Lego is an extremely popular toy and as a result prices are less likely to fall. But then in another statement you are readily admitting that Super-Hero sets are extremely risky 'investments.' The same dynamics cannot be in play in both instances. In other words, you cannot have it both ways. Lego Star Wars is at an even more risky gamble at this point going forward than any other licensed property in the Lego universe.

Kind of like someone who tried to convince members that LEGO followed the same investment rules as Beenie Babies and baseball cards, yet somehow believed that LEGO was not heading for a crash??