75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Regardless of the 75159's design (unless it is a 100% duplicate), the 10188 will always have people wanting the set.  It's a classic.  

The big question will be at what price will interest fall off? As Yoda would say,..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHD0RTWrXQ6cp_4gYM5Z7

If LEGO releases a total rehash of 10188 without significant and real changes, builders around the world are going to be pissed. These big ass sets are clearly marketed towards AFOLs and parents with lots of moolah. They can't afford another AssOnHoth. B-Wing and Tie Fighter don't count either. The LEGO builds are great, but the ships themselves just don't impress like the SandCrawler and Slave 1.

What would be neat is a redesign, that folds open but with new figs and new rooms. Then people will want both.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, gregpj said:

The big question will be at what price will interest fall off? As Yoda would say,..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHD0RTWrXQ6cp_4gYM5Z7

If LEGO releases a total rehash of 10188 without significant and real changes, builders around the world are going to be pissed. These big ass sets are clearly marketed towards AFOLs and parents with lots of moolah. They can't afford another AssOnHoth. B-Wing and Tie Fighter don't count either. The LEGO builds are great, but the ships themselves just don't impress like the SandCrawler and Slave 1.

What would be neat is a redesign, that folds open but with new figs and new rooms. Then people will want both.

Of course.  I have always said this set has two paths.  One to $500-$700 and another to $1000+++.  But the future is positive, regardless.

LEGO is smart and realize they want to please all customers.  They don't want an iconic set like the 10188 to look bad because people will shy away from the next $400 set, waiting for a better version.  But they also want to sell the new one.  They want people to buy them all.  New...old...second hand...whatever.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Loghamel said:

Who the heck missed 10188?  It was out for nearly a decade.  I can't imagine LEGO needing to rehash 10188 for the 3 people who, in the past couple of months, realized LEGO Star Wars was a thing.

Dude, by all means it is very likely that most 10188 went to kids. If it was for collectors it would have closely followed 10179 to the retirement pit. It is an unsubstitutable element of LEGO's SW portfolio. Don't you think there was a very good reason that they kept it around for this long? Just to screw around with resellers is not worth so many years in production.

I always say that the internet LEGO community is only a small minority of the whole customer base. We might have relevance with some special AFOL sets and promotions, but 10188 is a majestic mainstream play set. 

Edited by inversion
  • Like 2

I never got the 10188. I own a 10143 and it's my favorite set of my collection. If TLG makes another playset with 0 display style, I will gladly wait another 8 years for another. I only have so much space for sets and I don't like playsets. Just my opinion. 

• Like 7

Pretty reliable source from another forum stated the price will be $499.99. I'm a little skeptical as Lego has not released a $500 set since the UCS Falcon, but we are in a different environment today compared to 2007. If this rumor is true, it would seem to be semi-good news for 10188 owners as it would set a nice stable floor for it. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

Pretty reliable source from another forum stated the price will be $499.99. I'm a little skeptical as Lego has not released a $500 set since the UCS Falcon, but we are in a different environment today compared to 2007. If this rumor is true, it would seem to be semi-good news for 10188 owners as it would set a nice stable floor for it. 

I hope the price point is true. I would really like to see some larger and more detailed sets in the future (e.g. UCS AT-AT) so if this price point works that may become a possibility.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

the price is not really surprising given the push for more expensive sets lately.  I know there was discussion about LEGO not wanting to got too expensive on their exclusives, but that was before the Helicarrier, GBHQ, and Disney Castle.  With $350 becoming common, a $500 SW UCS is certainly not unreasonable.

8 hours ago, oneknightr said:

What source?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, asharerin said:

Early release for VIP Sept 15-30. Christmas Train as well.

Should get some pics halfway thru Aug.

28583811926_ea6e7c1485_z.jpg

Oh great, a new Nexo Knights freebie ... Still sitting on my Royal Knight ones from the last promo - think I'm going to pad boxes with those instead of using airbaggies.

I would love a 500 price set. The only thing that I'm woried about is how much a chunk does disney get. The FA star wars sets seem to have a 20 - 30% price increase. The 75101 FO Tie tag of 69.99 is insane for a set like that. SW sets are a bit pricey and with a 500 set being good.

I'm worried that it will look like a 400 set after all said and done. The 10188 looked like a 450 set for 399.99 but that age of SW is over with the new owner.

• Like 1

I would love a 500 price set. The only thing that I'm woried about is how much a chunk does disney get. The FA star wars sets seem to have a 20 - 30% price increase. The 75101 FO Tie tag of 69.99 is insane for a set like that. SW sets are a bit pricey and with a 500 set being good.

I'm worried that it will look like a 400 set after all said and done. The 10188 looked like a 450 set for 399.99 but that age of SW is over with the new owner.

Never mind that the $399.99 was from 8 years ago. 10188 wouldn't cost $399.99 if it was released today even without Disney's purchase.
  • Like 8