75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 2 months later...

Latest bit of info from the usual suspects is it is all OT based, not Rogue One,  and will be a play set and is larger than 10188. VIP access will be Sept 2016 apparently, so not long to go now.

I already own 10188 so if it is not spectacular I may have to go with Cindy's castle in Sept instead. Other bit of SW UCS news Snowspeeder pushed back to 2017 and the 40th anniversary UCS set for next year may just be the ISD which would be very fitting.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, asharerin said:

Latest bit of info from the usual suspects is it is all OT based, not Rogue One,  and will be a play set and is larger than 10188. VIP access will be Sept 2016 apparently, so not long to go now.

I already own 10188 so if it is not spectacular I may have to go with Cindy's castle in Sept instead. Other bit of SW UCS news Snowspeeder pushed back to 2017 and the 40th anniversary UCS set for next year may just be the ISD which would be very fitting.

Well, I wouldn't be heartbroken if it's a bigger, better version, and I would probably still buy it.  Compared to models released in the last couple of years, 10188 is kind of starting to show its age.

With regards to the UCS next year.... FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS GOOD, PLEASE BE TRUE!!!!!!!  I would probably pee my pants if that was the case.  Of all the sets I had, 10030 is the one I truly miss the most.  I need it in my collection, but not at the current prices, that's for sure.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, micbelt said:

Not saying it is not true, but what could be the thought process behind this? They just retired 10188, why make an update version already?

I think Disney wanted 75159 for the boys (pricepoint unknown) and 71040 ($399.99 USD) for the girls. I am sure both will grace Disney stores for many years to come.

I don't think there is any need to panic sell 10188 as it may become quite collectible. Chewbacca wearing mouse ears may not be for everyone :)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, asharerin said:

I think Disney wanted 75159 for the boys (pricepoint unknown) and 71040 ($399.99 USD) for the girls. I am sure both will grace Disney stores for many years to come.

I don't think there is any need to panic sell 10188 as it may become quite collectible. Chewbacca wearing mouse ears may not be for everyone :)

As long as they work in some type of push button destruction effect, I'm good.

Hmmmm...
dscf5610_b.jpg

• Like 2

The other thing is Lego can look at what 10188 has sold for in the reseller market and see what price point people will stomach for a new one. 

I mean, if this really is a bigger OT death star the price point is going to be high and they'll want to be confident collectors will buy it.

6 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

The other thing is Lego can look at what 10188 has sold for in the reseller market and see what price point people will stomach for a new one. 

I mean, if this really is a bigger OT death star the price point is going to be high and they'll want to be confident collectors will buy it.

I don't think they factor in the aftermarket when applying price points to new releases.  Just a statement, based on ill-witted logic.

• Like 2

I think the new death star will have the same effect as the sandcrawler.  I have the new SC version, with no desire for the old - both being OT.  Newer version is bigger and better.  The key difference was it gave the likes of investors to unload the old sandcrawlers.  Lego have decided this time to limit that gap; therefore limit that opportunity for investors.

Just my opinion.

34 minutes ago, asharerin said:

I am thinking anything Star Wars WITHOUT the Disney brand will be what serious collectors want (looking at you 10188).

I think nobody cares about that logo besides some weirdos and hippies. Especially now that Disney has proven they respect SW by not botching EPVII.

Edited by inversion
  • Like 6

36 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I don't think they factor in the aftermarket when applying price points to new releases.  Just a statement, based on ill-witted logic.

No i mean if they can see what people are prepared to pay for a 10188 they will know the pain point for a new one.  After all, their big sets in the past haven't always flown off the shelves. 

If they are building a bigger deathstar then the production costs must be higher than 10188.

1 minute ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

No i mean if they can see what people are prepared to pay for a 10188 they will know the pain point for a new one.  After all, their big sets in the past haven't always flown off the shelves. 

If they are building a bigger deathstar then the production costs must be higher than 10188.

Yes, that's possible.  If the rumors above pan out, I do expect a $500+ price tag.  Mom & Pop might still be priced out at this point.

2 hours ago, mattyman said:

exactly - if the new one is better, the Disney logo does feature on the bricks at all - only box and manual so I'm not bothered if I'm going to display it

Totally agree If its more detailed and bigger i won't care about a little castle logo.

3 hours ago, asharerin said:

I am thinking anything Star Wars WITHOUT the Disney brand will be what serious collectors want (looking at you 10188).

Lol.  Whatever makes you sleep easier at night with that giant stack of 10188s.  Nobody cares about the Disney logo at the bottom corner except the 1% of the 1% of Star Wars nerds.  Would I prefer it not there?  Of course.  But I share the disdain for what Disney does to franchises.  Star Wars is going to become the Marvel Universe on steroids.  But for the most part, I bet folks don't even notice it there and it surely doesn't go into people's buying decisions.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

Lol.  Whatever makes you sleep easier at night with that giant stack of 10188s.  Nobody cares about the Disney logo at the bottom corner except the 1% of the 1% of Star Wars nerds.  Would I prefer it not there?  Of course.  But I share the disdain for what Disney does to franchises.  Star Wars is going to become the Marvel Universe on steroids.  But for the most part, I bet folks don't even notice it there and it surely doesn't go into people's buying decisions.

LOL I don't have a giant stack. Sold half on CL already and will move the other half FBA prior to fall (only have 9 left for resale plus 2 for my own collection not for sale).

Just trying to make some of the others feel better I guess :)

I am fully expecting SW oversaturation as well.

1 minute ago, asharerin said:

LOL I don't have a giant stack. Sold half on CL already and will move the other half FBA prior to fall (only have 9 left for resale plus 2 for my own collection not for sale).

Just trying to make some of the others feel better I guess :)

I am fully expecting SW oversaturation as well.

Glad you were able to move them fee free so far.  I moved mine on CL as well, but only had a couple and will keep our opened copy unless this new one absolutely blows it out of the water.

4 hours ago, inversion said:

I think nobody cares about that logo besides some weirdos and hippies. Especially now that Disney has proven they respect SW by not botching EPVII.

Might want to watch how ya lump Hippies in with Weirdos..............:cool:

I have only one sealed 10188. I seriously doubt the price is going to calapse with the new DS. It just limits the upside of the old one. Some will prefer the new and some the old. I may sell mine and buy the new one to build... if it's much better. If it's a play set, I hope it has an outer shell for display as well.

12 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

Regardless of the makeup of the new Death Star, the 10188 was an iconic set that will appreciate given some time.  The only question in my mind is whether it will be a $600 set or a $1600 set.  

Depends on the closeness of substitution between the two. If the new has everything the old one had, then only the niche and really hardcore collectors will care about 10188. Then people who collect 'sets they like', just as me, won't be interested in the retired DS. 

I think the former category is relatively small and would not constitute enough demand to sustain a dramatic price increase.

• Like 2