75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 8 months later...
8 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Yes, it could be a mix of characters and movies.  The Death Star itself is static, so it's possible there could be sections dedicated to classic scenes and characters.  I have to wonder if a $500 set would begin to limit its sales to mainly adults and rich kids...almost an "elitist" toy.  LOL.  

If the new DS includes exclusive Lando Calrissian and Nien Numb minifigs (they were in DS during RotJ) then all bets are off :D

29 minutes ago, bricketycricket said:

just2good said it was just an updated, bigger, better version of 10188. There was skepticism when he said 10188 would retire, there was skepticism when he said a new Death Star was coming in 2016, and there is still skepticism about what exactly the next Death Star will be. It might be time to start believing him.

Very true. He also dropped all kinds of nostradamus-quality truth about the Ghostbusters HQ. 

So let's say it IS bigger and better. 

It's possible they could build it with 3800 pieces with TODAY'S building techniques (more of a technic-infrastructure, lighter, stronger, leaner). PLUS they will probably use tons of smaller lighter bricks to keep the piece count up vs the giant blocky 2x4's and plates that exist in the old 10188.

In this way, they COULD do a 4000 piece set that keeps the price around 399, and the size around the same. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I just have to wonder is unless the new DS is radically improved or different, how many people are going to rush out and pay $400-$500 for one?  There has to be some hangover from the 10188 and also the knowledge that the new one can be around for YEARS.  

Exactly. It's a flagship set, not an $80 Winter Toy Shop that's only on anyone's radar for 3 months a year. This set will take up a huge amount of shelf space, be in every catalog and is designed to get people into the stores and drooling over how awesome Lego is.  Minor tweaks and updated figures to 10188 won't achieve that goal or advance the brand. There are smart people working at Lego, they know all this. So personally, I expect the new DS will be a significant departure from 10188. What that is we'll see in time...

• Like 1

Presumably a 2016 DS will be to 10188 what a 2016 modular is to a 2008 modular. Fewer brick built shapes, more small details, fewer exposed studs, more SNOT techniques. That would be what i would be designing. Then tie it in with the new movie releases s required, and you're done.

So Brick Bank level of details, vs, Green Grocer. Both good sets, but methods updated, interior details improved, more imagination added even?

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I just have to wonder is unless the new DS is radically improved or different, how many people are going to rush out and pay $400-$500 for one?  There has to be some hangover from the 10188 and also the knowledge that the new one can be around for YEARS.  

I think main target are not the people who already have one. On the same basis why not retire 10188 after just 2 years because people already had it? New buyers were always coming, kids reaching the age where they can build one. If they could sell a Death Star for 8 years they will be able to sell it for another 8. Most exclusives are mainly bought by collectors, but I always thought DS is different. If it was sought after mainly by collectors then it would have been discontinued ages ago.

• Like 3

Guest TabbyBoy

I'm interested to see what this new set looks like. But, we may have to wait 20yrs before hoarding it it's as over-supplied as the current one. It ain't dead yet, it's only sold out!

20 minutes ago, inversion said:

I think main target are not the people who already have one. On the same basis why not retire 10188 after just 2 years because people already had it? New buyers were always coming, kids reaching the age where they can build one. If they could sell a Death Star for 8 years they will be able to sell it for another 8. Most exclusives are mainly bought by collectors, but I always thought DS is different. If it was sought after mainly by collectors then it would have been discontinued ages ago.

Why would they want to take out the people already have one? New buyer + old owner would be a win win situation. Winter Toys Shop have a couple years gap between the reissue which can collect enough new buyer to take purchase the "newer better WTS". 9 months after EOL and put a similar on the shelf, seriously?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LegoEdison said:

Why would they want to take out the people already have one? New buyer + old owner would be a win win situation. Winter Toys Shop have a couple years gap between the reissue which can collect enough new buyer to take purchase the "newer better WTS". 9 months after EOL and put a similar on the shelf, seriously?

So according to your logic the people who have 10188 would buy a DS if there are several, say 5, years between the two, but wouldn't if it is only 1 year. I don't think this is a realistic assumption.

To wait for enough new demand to pile up is a much more convincing argument and it possibly stands for toy shop. But there was enough demand to keep 10188 alive for a record long time. Then why wait more, to miss out on those sales that were going to 10188 before? It won't be cheaper to launch the set later, then as well as do it ASAP, to capture more sales. 

To milk all old+new buyers they need a similarly iconic location in SW that is not the DS, but can have similar qualities as a set, e.g. having most core characters and a decent amount of iconic scenes that can be played out. I have difficulties with coming up anything like it.

Awesome!

I never liked the current dollhouse version and because of that I never bought one. I hope it will be more like the Death Star 2, in which case I would love to get one. In my opinion if it is more like the deathstar 2 then you guys that bought plenty will make some good profit. At this point it's too much of a gamble for me so i remain out of the 10188. 

53 minutes ago, inversion said:

I agree to an extent.  With the larger and pricier exclusives, the proportion of sets sold is much, much less in comparison to lower priced sets.  This is a situation in that even though it might not be the most stockpiled set, there was enough sets bought by resellers to skew the data.  The 10188 was released when investing in LEGO sets was starting to take off, so the impact on sales data from resellers could be much greater.  Over and over again the 10188 teased people with retiring, causing people to buy in.  It's a great set and value and I can see why it is popular and why it has lasted 8 years, but my gut tells me if the new Death Star is too similar, both the new and old ones will tank.  

1 hour ago, Seal Cutter said:

Presumably a 2016 DS will be to 10188 what a 2016 modular is to a 2008 modular. Fewer brick built shapes, more small details, fewer exposed studs, more SNOT techniques. That would be what i would be designing. Then tie it in with the new movie releases s required, and you're done.

So Brick Bank level of details, vs, Green Grocer. Both good sets, but methods updated, interior details improved, more imagination added even?

This. The piece count will drop and the minifigures will be updated but the detail and functionality will be improved. This is for a new generation of buyers but Lego will assume that a good chunk of the 10188 owners will get the new one as well. The new one will not be tied to the new movies. Disney and Lego know how insanely popular the original trilogy is to both young and old fans alike, and both companies are in the business of making money. They won't risk a $350 to $450 set on the new films just yet.

Do you see Lego basing the Ghostbusters Headquarters on the new films? Uhh, that's a no. Same with the DS. 

Edited by pete411
  • Like 1

I think the new Death Star will suppress growth of the one currently retiring. If it is in any way similar and aesthetically nicer than the current one it definitely will hurt. The only thing that helps the current one is the nostalgia of the original trilogy is nicely captured in this set. It is one of my favorite Lego sets- I have one displayed. Playability factor is through the roof.

10 minutes ago, asharerin said:

I am excited for this set regardless. I am sure it is going to have a very high price point and be a showstopper. I will worry about what is does (if anything) to 10188 later. Until then I am going to enjoy the movie, the rumours and the leaks. 

I really hope it is a KICK @$$ set.  Really...I want HUUUUUUGGGGEEE!!!!  HUGE!  $500....$600...$700.  Make it a 6000 piece set that rotates and has working LEDs and a laser that burns through metal.  

• Like 6

I am excited for this set regardless. I am sure it is going to have a very high price point and be a showstopper. I will worry about what is does (if anything) to 10188 later. Until then I am going to enjoy the movie, the rumours and the leaks. 

I really hope it is a KICK @$$ set.  Really...I want HUUUUUUGGGGEEE!!!!  HUGE!  $500....$600...$700.  Make it a 6000 piece set that rotates and has working LEDs and a laser that burns through metal.  

And sharks with frickin laser beams attached to their heads!

• Like 6