75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 2 months later...

I think if the remake is 1. A playset like 10188 and 2. OT featuring similar minifigs, then 10188 may not have as much growth in it as some other sets. As a parent looking to buy a DS, I will spend $500 to $600 on the latest thing in the store rather than spend $800 on the retired one. Only the completists will be looking to add 10188 to their collection if the new DS is bigger and better. Just MHO.

new DS can have any price and will be selling perfectly. Look at the Ghostbusters HQ (old movie, simple, "square" building) selling like hotcakes, or Porsche sold out in few minutes... AFOL community is very strong and rising, and have almost unlimited money. They are able to buy a set for EUR 1000 with 10000 pieces...

The only issue is whether to cover more children or AFOLs - since bigger price can decrease a children demands (its harder to buy EUR 500 Xmas present), but bigger set is much more appreciated.

Edited by mesje

3 hours ago, mesje said:

new DS can have any price and will be selling perfectly. Look at the Ghostbusters HQ (old movie, simple, "square" building) selling like hotcakes, or Porsche sold out in few minutes... AFOL community is very strong and rising, and have almost unlimited money. They are able to buy a set for EUR 1000 with 10000 pieces...

The only issue is whether to cover more children or AFOLs - since bigger price can decrease a children demands (its harder to buy EUR 500 Xmas present), but bigger set is much more appreciated.

I would like to see a 10k piece DS for around $1k. I have a feeling the new one is going to be only marginally bigger than the old one.... and for a higher price too.

6 minutes ago, justapilgrim said:

is everyone missing that there has already been a rehash since 10188? not joking, and it isn't doing so well. 9676 is a whopping 2 pieces and has been stuck at 100% - 150% increase in value after being retired for a few years

Psst, check page 3 of this very thread :D

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I have seen people like you on this forum before and you treat it as a commodity, with really no respect for the product itself.  Next year, you will be on the next forum, discussing the next hot trends in collectibles, but never really appreciating the collectible being discussed.  Until you accept the fact that emotion plays a huge part in the LEGO world, you will never truly understand the opinions of many on this site.

I've got an emotion for him, but the forum censors block most of it.

I gave up discussing things with him since he's only interested in his opinion. 2017 and the next fad can't come soon enough.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, inversion said:

I think we are free to trash this thread before Cinderella, if the rumors are true. 

Yeah, in about 2 weeks we'll get the leaked Cinderella's Castle images (1 month prior to the release on August 14th or 15th) and then 4 weeks after that we should get leaked images of the new Death Star, so about 6 weeks away yet...

21 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

I really hope it is not the same as 10188 with the only difference a grey haired Han Solo. Like they did with the MF.

I think we are finally getting a newly printed Leia. Does that make it better? lol

Edited by asharerin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vincevaughn said:

This may be shots fired....but a Borg cube would trash a death star any day of the week :P

Because it's so much smaller? a borg cube is what 3 km on a side? The SSD was 19 km long, so probably less volume than the borg cube, but roughly equivalent in size. The Death Star 1 was 180 km in diameter. The DS2 was 900. The superlaser could destroy a planet or vaporize capital ships.