75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, BrickLegacy said:

In response to another comment on that thread:

" I have said all that I am going to say but my comment above that opinion of the set will probably be divided should be telling :o) "

(emphasis added by me)

Half a sphere perhaps?

I've heard others speculate that, too, and I think you're onto something.  You could buy two of them, and have a Death Star II type model, or open it up, and you've got a DS playset.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

" I have said all that I am going to say but my comment above that opinion of the set will probably be divided should be telling :o) "

(emphasis added by me)

Half a sphere perhaps?

Let's say it is a half-sphere/cross section type set, wouldn't we expect the piece count to be lower than 10188 in that case?

Just now, Deadfraggle said:

Let's say it is a half-sphere/cross section type set, wouldn't we expect the piece count to be lower than 10188 in that case?

Not necessarily. The outside might be covered like the DS II so that adds to the piece count.  Plus, it could be taller and wider than the original so that would increase the count as well.  Plus, additional tiny details using smaller pieces can increase the piece count significantly.  I think we've seen this with other recent sets like the GBHQ.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

(emphasis added by me)

Half a sphere perhaps?

I was thinking that initially but then the OP said people are reading too much into the "divided" statement, and that would not match up with the piece count comment IMO.

I think "divided" was referring to the sets reception, not the structure.

• Like 1

So Elephant in the room time, for those of us that have a few 10188's left in our inventory, whats the general consciousness here? Get shot now before photos are leaked of a potential replica, hold on and hope the new set is different enough that 10188 will still rise, or sit on current stock for another few years in the hope that 10188 will still rise regardless and become another SSD?!?

Edited by Manse1001
  • Like 1

So Elephant in the room time, for those of us that have a few 10188's left in our inventory, whats the general consciousness here? Get shot now before photos are leaked of a potential replica, hold on and hope the new set is different enough that 10188 will still rise, or sit on current stock for another few years in the hope that 10188 will still rise regardless and become another SSD?!?

I figure, I haven't made anything off 10188 yet, why start now.
  • Like 7

If it were me I would probably move fast on my inventory depending on my inventory level. If I had 1 or 2 to sell, I would probably ride it out and see as you aren't gaining/losing too much if you hold and if it never moves past 1/2 to 2x RRP (especially if you have a lower buy in price).

If I had 10+ to sell, I would be worried and start moving them now. Put em on Craigslist, Amazon, Ebay because outside of a completist collector, why would you spend the money on an 8 year old set when you get bigger and better for the same $.

I bought a used SSD a couple months ago but if a new model was on the horizon, I would have just waited for it. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by wolvergeek
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, wolvergeek said:

If it were me I would probably move fast on my inventory depending on my inventory level. If I had 1 or 2 to sell, I would probably ride it out and see as you aren't gaining/losing too much if you hold and it never moves past 1/2 to 2x RRP (especially if you have a lower buy in price).

If I had 10+ to sell, I would be worried and start moving them now. Put em on Craigslist, Amazon, Ebay because outside of a completist collector, why would you spend the money on an 8 year old set when you get bigger and better for the same $.

I bought a used SSD a couple months ago but if a new model was on the horizon, I would have just waited for it. Just my 2 cents.

I do agree, and something in my head is telling me never underestimate a Star Wars Collector, especially one that likes Lego!! Although your average parent won't want to spend £450 on a retired death star for their child when a new one that looks the same is cheaper, an avid collector will probably want both in his or her collection and is still willing to pay through the nose for 10188 !! Hence I was just seeing what other members views were.  I guess like all sets, if other people start to worry and off load stock all at the same time then the price will inevitably fall, therefore I think best to ride the storm !! 

Edited by Manse1001
  • Like 1

Just now, Manse1001 said:

I do agree, but something in my head is telling me never underestimate a Star Wars Collector, especially one that likes Lego!! Although your average parent won't want to spend £450 on a retired death star for their child when a new one that looks the same is cheaper, an avid collector will probably want both in his or her collection and still willing to pay through the nose !! Hence I was just seeing what other members views were.  I guess like all sets, if other people start to worry and off load stock all at the same time then the price will inevitably fall, therefore I think best to ride the storm !! 

I agree about the avid collectors but how many are out there? It all depends on your risk tolerance. Would you rather make $100 to $200 on 20+ 10188's plus get back your buy in to invest elsewhere or hold onto a large set that takes up more room than some smaller sets. You can make $100 to $200 on sets that are 1/3rd the size for storing.

I have also seen speculation that it opens up like a playset and has scenes similar to the last one.  Surely it won't just be a spherical version again with just updated minifigures and building techniques, plus a few more pieces, right?  

10 minutes ago, Manse1001 said:

I do agree, and something in my head is telling me never underestimate a Star Wars Collector, especially one that likes Lego!! Although your average parent won't want to spend £450 on a retired death star for their child when a new one that looks the same is cheaper, an avid collector will probably want both in his or her collection and is still willing to pay through the nose for 10188 !! Hence I was just seeing what other members views were.  I guess like all sets, if other people start to worry and off load stock all at the same time then the price will inevitably fall, therefore I think best to ride the storm !! 

How many of these avid SW/Lego collectors are paying through the nose for a 10143. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pseudoty said:

How many of these avid SW/Lego collectors are paying through the nose for a 10143. 

10143 is a different animal than 10188. Being a display set and not a play set makes a big difference. 

I don't have any fish in this game as I only have 1 x 10188 that is built. As a new investor though, I am always concerned about remakes or close remakes of the items I have inventory of.

30 minutes ago, Manse1001 said:

You can always rebuy 10188 if 75159 is smaller and worse rather than bigger and better. That is what I will be doing. With prices varying greatly across platforms it may cost nothing but labor to do this if you time it right.

1 hour ago, asharerin said:

Those that missed 10188 will rejoice

Who the heck missed 10188?  It was out for nearly a decade.  I can't imagine LEGO needing to rehash 10188 for the 3 people who, in the past couple of months, realized LEGO Star Wars was a thing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Loghamel said:

Who the heck missed 10188?  It was out for nearly a decade.  I can't imagine LEGO needing to rehash 10188 for the 3 people who, in the past couple of months, realized LEGO Star Wars was a thing.

Believe it or not there were plenty of new lego fans entering the market the past 2 years who did not purchase 10188 and plenty more to come in the future.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Loghamel said:

You are forgetting the people watching the new films.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Loghamel said:

Just look at the Ebay completed listings, there are still plenty of people that want them !! Just sold one recently for £460 !! 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Loghamel said:

The person who bought mine at a substantial cash markup.

• Like 5