First Copy of the Brickpicker Book is in the House

reseller scum, quick flipping low life, or a handful of four letter derivatives that the site would block come to mind 

yeah those are sub-labels of overall labels.  Which I never really got either.  Some things you sell while they are hot or in short supply , some you don't.  That equates to QFLL and impatient versus Long Term and patient.

I have been working with the same guys at my job for years.  They all know of this site, the book, have seen the photos of my LEGO, Ed's LEGO, etc.  When the SSD was on it's way out I told them to pull the trigger and in a few months they can make a few bucks (many other sets as well).  Over the past few years, not one of them have purchased a single set.  These are all guys with expendable cash and space to store it, yet they didn't want to get involved. They may buy the book to support me because they think it's cool, but that is about it. I really don't think the book will create a firestorm of new investors. The casual LEGO buyer and collector will be interested in learning what their collection may be worth just like in other collectables.   I am just hoping we sell at least 100 copies :)

• Like 5

I have been working with the same guys at my job for years.  They all know of this site, the book, have seen the photos of my LEGO, Ed's LEGO, etc.  When the SSD was on it's way out I told them to pull the trigger and in a few months they can make a few bucks (many other sets as well).  Over the past few years, not one of them have purchased a single set.  These are all guys with expendable cash and space to store it, yet they didn't want to get involved. They may buy the book to support me because they think it's cool, but that is about it. I really don't think the book will create a firestorm of new investors. The casual LEGO buyer and collector will be interested in learning what their collection may be worth just like in other collectables.   I am just hoping we sell at least 100 copies :)

well, you only need to sell 99 copies after me :)

Just pre-ordered. I should hope at least 100 of us will have ordered before it's even out. From the replies so far, you might be halfway there. :D

I can't wait to read this in bed and tell my eye-rolling wife, "Hey, this is serious business, there's books about it!"

I have been working with the same guys at my job for years.  They all know of this site, the book, have seen the photos of my LEGO, Ed's LEGO, etc.  When the SSD was on it's way out I told them to pull the trigger and in a few months they can make a few bucks (many other sets as well).  Over the past few years, not one of them have purchased a single set.  These are all guys with expendable cash and space to store it, yet they didn't want to get involved. They may buy the book to support me because they think it's cool, but that is about it. I really don't think the book will create a firestorm of new investors. The casual LEGO buyer and collector will be interested in learning what their collection may be worth just like in other collectables.   I am just hoping we sell at least 100 copies

Word.

I'll give you another example. I live in a secluded set of tract homes - there are 800 homes here and we are about 15 minutes from any other homes.

I run the Facebook page for our community. Every few weeks I ask for boxes so I can mail out more items sold.

Every week I get asked why I need boxes and I'm honest that it's for Lego reselling. Never once in two years have I been asked how to get into it. There are over 1000 people on our Facebook page alone. Not a single "how lucrative is it?" Or "How can I start?"

I don't think we're going to see 1000s new investors because of the book, no matter how good it is.

I didn't bad mouth anybody in the book!  

Glad you didn't bad mouth anyone. 

But I wanted to thank you for name dropping me and my Brick Classified store in your book...I expect the mad rush of orders shortly.

(In a hushed tone) I'll drop the $20 I owe you in the mail next week...

<sarcasm - disclamer, just in case>

• Like 1

Glad you didn't bad mouth anyone. 

But I wanted to thank you for name dropping me and my Brick Classified store in your book...I expect the mad rush of orders shortly.

(In a hushed tone) I'll drop the $20 I owe you in the mail next week...

I did mention Brick Classifieds in the book.

I believe your right about it not creating a firestorm of new investors even though some guys here seem to believe other wise.  This reminds me of a Lego beckett essentially which I think will be cool to see what your collection may be worth and its current trends.  I pre-ordered mine a couple days after it was available to do so.  I'm mostly hoping to see if some photos of my collection made it into the final product.  :)

Edited by P38bam023
  • Like 1

Reminds me of Beckett as well but that was pre-Internet days. Beckett helped create a whole generation of baseball card collectors who had no plans or strategy to sell. Hopefully those folks learned their lesson

Times are much different now. This book will supplement brickpicker.com and hopefully drive more visitors to this site and brickclassifieds. I'm mostly looking forward to reading the Mack's commentary and analysis on a wide range of sets and themes. That is what you are paying for. They contribute to the forums but this book will dive deeper. Newer investors like myself should buy this to develop a more well rounded investment strategy than "buy exclusives only" or "quick flip everything!"

I'm really looking forward to reading this cover to cover. I can get it cheaper from BN or Target but I kept my Amazon order to take advantage of fast prime shipping.

• Like 1

Reminds me of Beckett as well but that was pre-Internet days. Beckett helped create a whole generation of baseball card collectors who had no plans or strategy to sell. Hopefully those folks learned their lesson

Times are much different now. This book will supplement brickpicker.com and hopefully drive more visitors to this site and brickclassifieds. I'm mostly looking forward to reading the Mack's commentary and analysis on a wide range of sets and themes. That is what you are paying for. They contribute to the forums but this book will dive deeper. Newer investors like myself should buy this to develop a more well rounded investment strategy than "buy exclusives only" or "quick flip everything!"

I'm really looking forward to reading this cover to cover. I can get it cheaper from BN or Target but I kept my Amazon order to take advantage of fast prime shipping.

I'll send you the money later today.  LOL

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Jeff Mack said:

It's getting more real now.  Finally got some copies delivered.  A few will be going out for review. Obviously Mom and Dad get one too.  At least they can say their kids were able to accomplish something with their lives!

At least you now have an accomplishment in print.  The rest might just still be hear say.

Your last name looks cool on the spine.  Very easy to catalog in the Library of Congress now.