First Copy of the Brickpicker Book is in the House

"Dont' judge a book by its cover" seems to apply here literally. On the cover it reads "Ultimate Guide to Collectible Lego Sets", suggesting it focuses on collecting, but right in the introduction in the section "How to use this book", it says: "...Within each chapter, we list and analyze the top sets of a theme from the standpoint of profitability and Return on Investment (ROI)...", followed by a section called "Why invest in LEGO bricks?" in which one can read "...the main purpose of this book is to discuss the values of a multitude of LEGO sets..." and "...Here are some things a novice should look for when choosing LEGO sets for investments:...".

I don't know what you originally wanted to focus on and what the publisher made of it, but for me, the contents of this book seem to be at least as much about investing as they are about collecting - even if the cover is suggesting something else. I agree that collectors and investors are both interested in values, but just by reading the introduction an investment tone is set right from the beginng. In the end, if "all" you say is that collectors can fund their hobby by investing, the book IS in fact an investing guide.

As a member of this forum, I would not want to promote this book, cutting the ground from under my own investor's feet even more, since more people would get interested in investing. I don't know how much you potentially bit in your own hand by publishing this book, being a big time investor yourself. Or are you planning on retiring? In this case you might of course not mind new investors joining the club.

However, it seems to be a nice read, but from the perspective of a forum member and investor I feel a bit of a stomach ache now...

Considering how you used to BEG me for information, I think you should buy the book, it's obvious you need some direction. Did you ever hear the saying, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you?" Well you just did .

I just preordered my copy.  Figure you've been a customer so now I will be one.  Was looking for the add on cryptic cipher accessory but could not find it.  Think the marketing team dropped the ball on that one...

Will there be a "new" cover for prolonged life?  after it retires will you re-release it?   Hoping it has seal codes too.     Questions that I will be asking closer to eol...

• Like 5

I do not normally do pre orders but now your motivating me ravenb

question ed

is Amazon the publisher or will you sell through Barnes Noble and other channels ?

i know it lists a publisher but curious actual channel details

Krause Publishers is the publisher and they are legit and specialize in collectibles. Amazon is just one source. It should be available in other places. This is all new to us and we are not sure exactly where. I just want to say that Jeff and I put months of work into the book and we believe it is a real value. We appreciate the positive responses from people and we hope you invest $20 for a really nice book. This was not meant to damage or hurt anybody, but I'm glad we did it because it was done with class and quality information. I expect it to be ready by late November. We will get some copies, but do not expect to start selling books personally...or at least not on a large scale. Once again, thanks for all the positive support.

• Like 2

Krause Publishers is the publisher and they are legit and specialize in collectibles. Amazon is just one source. It should be available in other places. This is all new to us and we are not sure exactly where. I just want to say that Jeff and I put months of work into the book and we believe it is a real value. We appreciate the positive responses from people and we hope you invest $20 for a really nice book. This was not meant to damage or hurt anybody, but I'm glad we did it because it was done with class and quality information. I expect it to be ready by late November. We will get some copies, but do not expect to start selling books personally...or at least not on a large scale. Once again, thanks for all the positive support.

Ed, you don't sell anything ... small scale or large scale. ;)

• Like 7

Hey Ed

I have ordered one and suggest everyone else that is able it would be great to purchase one

I wish only the best for the books success and am appreciative that Brickpicker was my launching pad into all things Toys

Congrats to you and Jeff

Trek

• Like 3

Not sure why I waited this long to pre-order...you guys do so much for us.  In for 1.  Can't wait to blow up the My Order Status thread when this baby ships!

• Like 3

Considering how you used to BEG me for information, I think you should buy the book, it's obvious you need some direction. Did you ever hear the saying, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you?" Well you just did .

Ed, with all due respect, I did not beg you for any information but I kindly asked in a time you were still very open with giving away inside info to anybody asking or even posting it openly in the forum (end of last year). Aside from that I just expressed my opinion here based on the book's content preview on Amazon and the (imo) arising contradiction of that to what you announced the book would be. Seeing you reacting THAT way makes me wonder if you know the German saying: "Getroffene Hunde bellen." I have no other explanation for an answer like yours, I just stated my opinion in an objective way. So I really don't know why you get POed directly, even making public a private conversation (that as I said did not even take place like that). Is that civil in your own definition?

Now I had to get one with all this chatter for the Salman Rushdie effect ;)  

Plus with playboy no longer publishing pictures I need something to look it, I like the pictures ;)  

Dont forgot to select no rush shipping for your $1 amazon credit makes this an even better deal. 

• Like 6

Even if your statement about the title/contents might be true, it does seem a bit silly to mention it.

They run a LEGO investing website - so how could anyone expect that the book would not be from that viewpoint???

Why? Because previous (and somehow also the latest...) statements indicated so, that is why I posted the above.

Edited by rfish

Why? Because previous statements indicated so, that is why I posted the above.

Trust me, I give them as hard a time as anyone - and my my first gut reaction was to just pile on. But in this case, I don't think anything was really done wrong.

Maybe they should have just let it be, instead of responding (attacking back at you). But overall, that is a big positive about them, they are very involved in the community. Sometimes it might go too far (gets personal, etc), but I would say that is still a lot better than the alternative.

Ed, with all due respect, I did not beg you for any information but I kindly asked in a time you were still very open with giving away inside info to anybody asking or even posting it openly in the forum (end of last year). Aside from that I just expressed my opinion here based on the book's content preview on Amazon and the (imo) arising contradiction of that to what you announced the book would be. Seeing you reacting THAT way makes me wonder if you know the German saying: "Getroffene Hunde bellen." I have no other explanation for an answer like yours, I just stated my opinion in an objective way. So I really don't know why you get POed directly, even making public a private conversation (that as I said did not even take place like that). Is that civil in your own definition?

I am POed because I gave you important information and you repay me by dissing months of work. You made money off of my information and now you are taking money out of my pocket. We ask nothing of members besides clicking on some links, yet we hand out free quality information daily so people can make money from it. If you have problems with what we do and promote here on this site and in the book, I can't help you. There is an old American saying, "It is what it is." Deal with it.

Edited by Ed Mack
  • Like 6

Ed - does the book focus on the sets that flopped and analysis as to why that might have happened?  I know you don't want to spoil the contents, but I'm getting anxious now that the release date is coming.  If you don't want to spoil anything, I can try and be patient.

Also, is a second edition in the works yet or is the publisher waiting to see how this performs?

I am POed because I gave you important information and you repay me by dissing months of work. You made money off of my information and now you are taking money out of my pocket. We ask nothing of members besides clicking on some links, yet we hand out free quality information daily so people can make money from it. If you have problems with what we do and promote here on this site and in the book, I can't help you. There is an old American saying, "It is what it is." Deal with it.

This world is a better place when people like them know to share. Yes, it may gradually make the margin smaller for everyone. But if one profits from their work, why and at what ground does he/she complain?

Well, I may undermine myself with a fact that 'helping resellers may not be the same as helping the general public' argument. lol

I am POed because I gave you important information and you repay me by dissing months of work. You made money off of my information and now you are taking money out of my pocket. We ask nothing of members besides clicking on some links, yet we hand out free quality information daily so people can make money from it. If you have problems what we do and promote here on this site and in the book, I can't help you. There is an old American saying, "It is what it is." Deal with it.

Then you are being POed for no reason, because I did not diss your book with a single word. All I said was that I was surprised about the contradiction between what you were announcing (a book about collecting) and what the book obviously is (a book about investing at least as much about collecting). Had I known that receiving EOL info from you, which I did get, would result in losing the freedom of speech I would not have asked in the first place. To say it again: I did not diss your book at any time, maybe you'd like to interpret what I said as dissing, but it is not because I have no reason to disrespect your effort.

If you'd like to remember, some weeks ago, when you announced to book, I even offered you to review it on amazon, which would have given it a good push in visibility and hence sales. You would have gotten a nice 5-star rating for sure, because I like you and your brother's spirit and your website. Just to be sure what the book would be about I asked you, and you said it would focus on collecting and it was NOT about investing. I asked beforehand because I would not have had interest in promoting with my review a book that is about investing, just to put the topic unneccessarily even more into the spotlight. Since you stated it was about collecting I was ready to assist you giving you a top rating. Now yesterday I saw, it was in fact investment-heavy - so my interest of reviewing it faded and I let you know about me being quite surprised about the contradiction as to what you said before. I did not diss your book or your effort. I simply don't support this kind of publicity for LEGO investing.

And yes, having this site running is one thing. Writing books about it and giving interviews is another thing. While I appreciate everything you do with the site, I - understandably - wince every time there is an article published about the topic. I am pretty sure NOT ONE USER AROUND HERE is interested in the spotlight being put on investing, however, no one really seems willing to say that openly - and to say that with this book you do exactly that: promote investing. However, everyone is free to do whatever he likes, but you cannot like "oblige" people to support eveything you do just because they use your website. In short: I love your webiste, but I don't like the focus of the book. That is why I don't support it. This is no dissing, just because I have another opinion about it than what would help you. It is only my opinion. If i was dissing your book, I would give it a 1-star rating and go broadcasting about how bad it is. But that would be nonsense. Since you wrote it, I guess it will be really good.

Edited by rfish