First Copy of the Brickpicker Book is in the House

Then you are being POed for no reason, because I did not diss your book with a single word. All I said was that I was surprised about the contradiction between what you were announcing (a book about collecting) and what the book obviously is (a book about investing at least as much about collecting). Had I known that receiving EOL info from you, which I did get, would result in losing the freedom of speech I would not have asked in the first place. To say it again: I did not diss your book at any time, maybe you'd like to interpret what I said as dissing, but it is not because I have no reason to disrespect your effort.

If you'd like to remember, some weeks ago, when you announced to book, I even offered you to review it on amazon, which would have given it a good push in visibility and hence sales. You would have gotten a nice 5-star rating for sure, because I like you and your brother's spirit and your website. Just to be sure what the book would be about I asked you, and you said it would focus on collecting and it was NOT about investing. I asked beforehand because I would not have had interest in promoting with my review a book that is about investing, just to put the topic unneccessarily even more into the spotlight. Since you stated it was about collecting I was ready to assist you giving you a top rating. Now yesterday I saw, it was in fact investment-heavy - so my interest of reviewing it faded and I let you know about me being quite surprised about the contradiction as to what you said before. I did not diss your book or your effort. I simply don't support this kind of publicity for LEGO investing.

And yes, having this site running is one thing. Writing books about it and giving interviews is another thing. While I appreciate everything you do with the site, I - understandably - wince every time there is an article published about the topic. I am pretty sure NOT ONE USER AROUND HERE is interested in the spotlight being put on investing, however, no one really seems willing to say that openly - and to say that with this book you do exactly that: promote investing. However, everyone is free to do whatever he likes, but you cannot like "oblige" people to support eveything you do just because they use your website. In short: I love your webiste, but I don't like the focus of the book. That is why I don't support it. This is no dissing, just because I have another opinion about it than what would help you. It is only my opinion. If i was dissing your book, I would give it a 1-star rating and go broadcasting about how bad it is. But that would be nonsense. Since you wrote it, I guess it will be really good.

Believe me, if I wanted to take away your freedom of speech, your original post would have been deleted and your account locked.  No other LEGO site that I know of lets members make derogatory and negative comments about the site and site owners and get away with it.  We give people plenty of rope to hang themselves, but at some point, the slack ends.  You say the book is probably good, but you can't support it because it has the word "invest" in it.  So be it.  I get it.  It was a fine line writing the book and not promoting the investment aspect of it, but it's there.  Of course it's there because collecting items for monetary reasons and investing in items is almost one in the same.  But it is not the main focus of the book.  It's about valuable (and not so valuable) LEGO sets, their values and what makes them that way and it will help a lot of novices out there in picking the sets that could appreciate in value.

As for writing books and doing interviews, I will not apologize for trying to support my family.  It's all about the brand and if a publisher or major media outlet wants to talk about our site and LEGO investing and collecting, we will.  You don't get many chances in life to make a difference and this is an opportunity that we cannot pass up.  I know there are people who disagree with this and want to keep the world of LEGO investing all to themselves, but I know that we are helping more people than hurting...by a large amount.  You must realize though that while we do let people  vent on the site, there is only so much we will tolerate.  If a person's comments affect the brand in a negative way, they won't be here for long.  This really is not a democracy.  Sorry.  What's funny is that many people who take a negative tone towards what we do around here are still here.  The post occasional negative comments or even just lurk, but they find value in the site and visit it frequently.  There is no way to build a community like we have without reaching out to new members.  The community is what makes this site special and people sharing information is what enables many to profit in the LEGO investing and reselling world.  

Personally, I think you were unfair to us, and me in particular.  When you came to me multiple times for information, I could have blown you off, yet I spent my time and gave you valuable insider information that should have helped you make money.  You could have easily sent me a PM and told me of your issues with the book and we could have discussed it, but you chose to announce to the world that you "WILL NOT SUPPORT THIS BOOK!" over some semantics.  You want to tap my knowledge and keep it from others, yet could be damaging sales of our book in the meantime.  To me, that's just not acceptable.  You don't have to buy the or leave glowing reviews, but when someone does you a favor, you should have the courtesy to tone down the rhetoric.  

• Like 3

Ed - does the book focus on the sets that flopped and analysis as to why that might have happened?  I know you don't want to spoil the contents, but I'm getting anxious now that the release date is coming.  If you don't want to spoil anything, I can try and be patient.

Also, is a second edition in the works yet or is the publisher waiting to see how this performs?

There is a "losers" section.  There is another book planned, but it is about minifigures.  We will be announcing that shortly to the members and there will be an opportunity for members to show off their creative abilities and make money from doing it...and maybe get famous as well.  LOL

• Like 3

I went and pre-ordered the book the moment I saw rfish take a run at you. I stopped, thought about the value you've provided me (mostly indirectly), and figured the $20 or whatever for the book is a small price to pay to help support what has been an amazing resource. I mean, his title was "Brick Troller" before he even chimed in here!

• Like 4

I seriously don't see why  so many words need to flow wether this book is about collecting or investing.

If you don't like the book, don't wish to support BP or don't think it augment your knowledge, don't buy it. Fact is that it takes alot of time to research, compose and write something like that and to bicker about something so ... small is showing little respect for it's creator(s).

I understand Rfish point but come'on... enough already

Krause Publishers is the publisher and they are legit and specialize in collectibles. Amazon is just one source. It should be available in other places. This is all new to us and we are not sure exactly where. I just want to say that Jeff and I put months of work into the book and we believe it is a real value. We appreciate the positive responses from people and we hope you invest $20 for a really nice book. This was not meant to damage or hurt anybody, but I'm glad we did it because it was done with class and quality information. I expect it to be ready by late November. We will get some copies, but do not expect to start selling books personally...or at least not on a large scale. Once again, thanks for all the positive support.

I look forward to purchasing and reading this book and I especially look forward to sharing it with guests when they come over.  Every additional person that gets the 'Lego' bug is a potential customer and this especially helps with more recently retired sets - "you mean I can buy this from you now at $500 or wait until next year and pay $650 for it, I'll buy it from you now!"  (Also known as "shut up and take my money") and if you ever need an extra outlet on the side, then I am sure that justafrog can help you with that!

Cheers

Edited by redghostx
  • Like 1

I look forward to purchasing and reading this book and I especially look forward to sharing it with guests when they come over.  Every additional person that gets the 'Lego' bug is a potential customer and this especially helps with more recently retired sets - "you mean I can buy this from you now at $500 or wait until next year and pay $650 for it, I'll buy it from you now!"  (Also known as "shut up and take my money") and if you ever need an extra outlet on the side, then I am sure that justafrog can help you with that!

Cheers

That's a great point and one that is not often discussed on this site.  Not everyone on this site or who finds this site is a reseller or potential reseller.  Most are just fans of LEGO and care that their collection is worth money.  

• Like 4

Not trying to take a shot but to look at it differently.  I thought it was a tad weird that someone would get worried by a single book written by 2 guys could somehow hurt a lego reselling business but not worry a little more about a website DEDICATED to sharing lego info EVERY single day by by LOTS  of resellers.  I am laughing as i type this because it just makes no sense to me.  I would be sooooo much more worried about this website (and the other lego sites) giving away info rather than a single book.  The scale of info is not remotely close on any level, new sets, retired sets, updated prices....etc...etc...

If this book actually hurt anyone's business then i would highly recommend reevaluating said business and make appropriate adjustments because something was severely wrong to begin with.

Already ordered 2 books and cant wait.

• Like 3

Thanks for the link, also ordered on Target. Thanks Macks from a long time lurker, infrequent poster. For the sake of argument, people were worried about the secret of lego investing getting out when I joined in Jan 13.

Yes, we have been a lightning rod for years.  We are the Alpha and the Omega of LEGO investing.

Congrats on the book, Ed and Jeff.

I do not see how this book is different than any other Collectible guides for coins, stamps, Pokemon Trading Cards (and I knew a little bit about these ;) ), etc, etc.

As far as competition, let me put it this way, anyone who has been on this site for more than 6 months knows being profitable in this area is not as easy as some may suggest. ;)

Collecting and investing are the same thing anyways, not sure what the fuss is about.  I don't consider myself an investor.  I just think of it as buying and selling collectibles.  Just other collectibles never got the "investor" label.  You were a dealer or some other label like that.  In the end we all buy and sell, well not all but close enough...

• Like 1

Collecting and investing are the same thing anyways, not sure what the fuss is about.  I don't consider myself an investor.  I just think of it as buying and selling collectibles.  Just other collectibles never got the "investor" label.  You were a dealer or some other label like that.  In the end we all buy and sell, well not all but close enough...

reseller scum, quick flipping low life, or a handful of four letter derivatives that the site would block come to mind 

• Like 1