75102 - Poe's X-Wing Fighter

jaisonline

Ok, so, let's start over here.  Because I think some people are missing my point.  

Poe's Black X-wing (which contains, Poe in flight jacket, Goss Towers, and BB8) comes out September 4th.  From the get go it's some what hard to find.  Six months later it becomes extremely scarce, then in July you see Poe's Blue X-wing (which contains Poe in the other jacket, BB8, Lor San Tekka, and a Flametrooper)…  All that really changed was the black to blue color, and a small change in the minifigs (bye bye goss towers, and hello Lor San Tekka)..  

Why is that not feasible? 

I also am convinced there will be another OT x-wing for Rogue One.  There are pictures of the stage with this very x-wing floating on the internet.  The Rogue One setlist has also not been revealed, and i'd suspect we will see another september "force friday" event for that movie…  

• Like 3

The flip side of shorter production runs will also be quicker revisits.  If there is another version of Poe's X-wing and a classic version coming for Rogue One by the end of the year, don't you think that will stunt the growth of this one?  There could even be another one in early 2017 along with the release of Episode 8 (5/26/17).  I'm not so sure these sets will have any room to breathe between retirement and a remake like 9493 did.

• Like 1

Ok, so, let's start over here.  Because I think some people are missing my point.  

Poe's Black X-wing (which contains, Poe in flight jacket, Goss Towers, and BB8) comes out September 4th.  From the get go it's some what hard to find.  Six months later it becomes extremely scarce, then in July you see Poe's Blue X-wing (which contains Poe in the other jacket, BB8, Lor San Tekka, and a Flametrooper)…  All that really changed was the black to blue color, and a small change in the minifigs (bye bye goss towers, and hello Lor San Tekka)..  

Why is that not feasible? 

I also am convinced there will be another OT x-wing for Rogue One.  There are pictures of the stage with this very x-wing floating on the internet.  The Rogue One setlist has also not been revealed, and i'd suspect we will see another september "force friday" event for that movie…  

100% agree about a new OT X-Wing refresh for RO film.

Are you tuning the blue version x-wing coming out is a replacement for the black one or will co-exist for at least 12 months or so. My thinking both will co-exist on retail shelves (since they are diff plot points in the film) or black or blue one be a store's exclusive.

The flip side of shorter production runs will also be quicker revisits.  If there is another version of Poe's X-wing and a classic version coming for Rogue One by the end of the year, don't you think that will stunt the growth of this one?  There could even be another one in early 2017 along with the release of Episode 8 (5/26/17).  I'm not so sure these sets will have any room to breathe between retirement and a remake like 9493 did.

if so, very small room to breath like the MF refreshes.

7 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

100% agree about a new OT X-Wing refresh for RO film.

Are you tuning the blue version x-wing coming out is a replacement for the black one or will co-exist for at least 12 months or so. My thinking both will co-exist on retail shelves (since they are diff plot points in the film) or black or blue one be a store's exclusive.

The scenario I see is Black and Orange, then Black and Blue, both on shelves until the Rogue One X-Wing hits, around that time I can see the Black and Orange one stopping production and being retired, probably around end of this year.  Like some have mentioned, 3 nice sized x-wing  models on the store shelves at the same time doesn't really make any business sense at all.

Edited by rlangston77

20 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

I definitely agree with you there.  This is how Disney operates (they are always like "show us the major money NOW", and like I said, we are in a new era.  Throw out most of the rules that "used to be" when Lucas was in control, because they are releasing pretty much a film a year.  Over the next year and a half, we will be bombarded with sets.   I suspect, we will see a dozen new sets before the Force Friday event in September, then we will see 5 or 6 sets for Rogue One.  Then, we will see the typical January release with 5 or 6 more sets, then another 5 to 7 for Ep 8… All before May 2017.  Disney/lego isn't making this to pad reseller/investor wallets, they are out for their own.  

I very much see the new x-wing replacing this one.  I also see many of these sets having about 9 month release cycles, and there could be a lot of replacements, a lot of rehashes, a lot of minor updates with just small changes in sets.  

Like I said in a previous thread.  I was planning on giving my son the black x-wing until I saw the new variation and that changed my tune.  Now, i'll buy both, and invest in both, but he's only getting one.  I'll wait to see which one is more common, before I make that decision.  But i'm not going to give him both, just because of the change in color and 1 minifig change.  But, this is just the start of what I suspect will be a headspinning amount of sets that will be similar to one another.  The rehashes will become redundant, nothing will be safe from a rehash, and expect them often.

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, rlangston77 said:

The scenario I see is Black and Orange, then Black and Blue, both on shelves until the Rogue One X-Wing hits, around that time I can see the Black and Orange one stopping production and being retired, probably around end of this year.  Like some have mentioned, 3 nice sized x-wing  models on the store shelves at the same time doesn't really make any business sense at all.

I assume you meant White and Blue. As poes x-wings were Black and Oranage and White and Blue

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mechanizer said:

I think it is complete realistic to think that lego will retire Poe's X-wing after only a year. As mentioned earlier there is a new movie based entirely on an x-wing squadron coming out at the end of the year. It would be silly for lego to not put out a different x-wing at the end of the year. It is also known information that lego is going to put out a differnt x-wing in the summer. It makes no sense business wise for lego to have 3 x-wing models out at the same time. Im not saying they are retiring it in the next couple of months I an just stating that it is completely possible that it will not make it to 2017.

Just to point this out:  Rogue One is reportedly not about Rogue Squadron.  It is about a group of rebels stealing the Death Star plans.  Could it have X-Wings in it?  Sure.  But it's not an X-Wing movie according to this:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/19/star-wars-celebration-rogue-one-footage-and-premise-revealed

Do with this information what you will.

48 minutes ago, Caltrops said:

Just to point this out:  Rogue One is reportedly not about Rogue Squadron.  It is about a group of rebels stealing the Death Star plans.  Could it have X-Wings in it?  Sure.  But it's not an X-Wing movie according to this:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/19/star-wars-celebration-rogue-one-footage-and-premise-revealed

Do with this information what you will.

http://pulse.therpf.com/rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-x-wing-photos

• Like 1

14 hours ago, justapilgrim said:

For those in the last few pages: red 5 is not retired. The blue x-wing will make 3, any other color scheme gives us 4

R5 is retired in Europe, but you probably already knew that: http://search-en.lego.com/?q=10240&cc=FR# I think they're just slow putting the label up on the US site as a lot of people have already noted.

If anyone else is in France, Amazon has 75102 for 25% off... that's the biggest discount I've been able to find here. http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00SDTTJLQ/sr=8-1/qid=1453369234/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1453369234&sr=8-1

46 minutes ago, rlangston77 said:

Found a few at my local Target last night.  Picked them all up since it's a great set I want to build and I have no problem hanging onto it for years.

Looks like you turned from the dark side :)

12 hours ago, rlangston77 said:

Also, interestingly Disney just delayed Episode 8 to December 2017.  This means that some of the TFA and Rogue One sets might stick around a bit longer or at least have a chance to.  

Maybe..  Like, the guy said above, Red 5 is already retired in Europe.  It's pretty much retired here in the states, i'm guessing there are a few dusty boxes still showing in stock here in the states, and once they are cleared, it will get the tag too.  That would leave 75102 Poe's X-wing Fighter as the only x-wing for now..

75148 The sacking of Jakku is rumored to be in the summer wave.  From what I see it's the only Force Awakens set that seems to be in that wave, which is weird.  I'd have suspected a few more sets based on that film.  With a new on in july, i'd suspect that one is the main set you see for about 9 months. 

I'd also suspect we get a new X-wing for Rogue One.  None of those sets have been revealed or leaked yet.  If I remember correctly from last year, the boxes for the Millennium Falcon, and Poe's X-wing weren't leaked until mid summer, then we had glimpses of the others about a month after that.  I think we will see two x-wings in production - an old one, and a new version...  But, doubt we will see three.

Could a new x-wing be in the September Force Friday waves?  Don't know.  Don't even know they are having a force friday, but disney will probably follow suit with the same marketing strategy as last year for the next two years, at least.  Why wouldnt they? By september, Rogue One hype will be in full swing.  There is also a rumored Death Star (well not rumored, seems to be official as it's listed on Brickset, which seems correct 99.99% of the time).  So, will the new DS be for Rogue One or is it Starkiller base for the Force Awakens.  Who knows...   But, I do think part of really hitting good investment margins on the good sets, is having at least some insight into what is coming next, before it becomes officially official.

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 1

So i had gone from thinking that there's NO way this ship would be retiring to thinking,,,,,,but what if it did???

I stocked up. Which was difficult considering they're sold out almost everywhere. I'm now 16 deep (assuming some ordered ones arrive) which was around my total number i wanted to get to.

Then the last two stores i hit up, i see fresh boxes with 48R5 seals.

Sooooo they're definitely not gone already as most of my previous sets had 34R5 and older. 

I know you can't go by the lego catalog, but it WAS kinda interesting that this was the one force awakens set that didn't make it from the December to January catalog, combined with the lack of availability, combined with the older seal codes, AND the fact there's a new Xwing coming out in the same scale......but yeah. I think it's definately coming back now that I found December codes. (and someone above posted an even newer UK code.

Edited by mudcatsfan

7 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

So i had gone from thinking that there's NO way this ship would be retiring to thinking,,,,,,but what if it did???

I stocked up. Which was difficult considering they're sold out almost everywhere. I'm now 16 deep (assuming some ordered ones arrive) which was around my total number i wanted to get to.

Then the last two stores i hit up, i see fresh boxes with 48R5 seals.

Sooooo they're definitely not gone already as most of my previous sets had 34R5 and older. 

I know you can't go by the lego catalog, but it WAS kinda interesting that this was the one force awakens set that didn't make it from the December to January catalog, combined with the lack of availability, combined with the older seal codes, AND the fact there's a new Xwing coming out in the same scale......but yeah. I think it's definately coming back now that I found December codes. (and someone above posted an even newer UK code.

This will be back for another 2 yrs, book it. Not sure if it's wise to grab so many when there will be more sales on this coming up.