75102 - Poe's X-Wing Fighter

jaisonline

5 hours ago, valenciaeric said:

Xmas happened.

Yeah I was thinking that but like Jeffrey_Dollars said literally every single other TFA set is and has been back in stock for quite a while in my area, for weeks actually.  I want this set personally and for future investment because I really liked the character and think it's a pretty cool looking ship.  We should also factor in the new Rogue One movie this year.  I am positive Lego / Disney will want to have all new X-Wings and other ships to release as that movie approaches which could push this one to retirement sooner or at the very least limit it's production. 

Why take up X-Wing valuable store shelf space with Poe for a movie that's released 9 months ago when Lego could put out all new ships and pilots based on Rogue One like Wedge, etc.?  Poe's ship is unique, but i'm sure they'll find a way to make the ships in Rogue One somewhat unique as well.  Just my thoughts on it, could be totally wrong.

I think to look at the past release schedules, retirement dates, etc. for Star Wars Lego specifically simply doesn't hold up anymore.  Never in the history of Lego or Star Wars have we had so many movies coming out so quickly.  1 per year for the foreseeable future.  I believe strongly that this will cause a shift in how they release Star Wars sets, how long they "live", etc.

Edited by rlangston77
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, rlangston77 said:

Why take up X-Wing valuable store shelf space with Poe for a movie that's released 9 months ago when Lego could put out all new ships and pilots based on Rogue One like Wedge, etc.?  Poe's ship is unique, but i'm sure they'll find a way to make the ships in Rogue One somewhat unique as well.  Just my thoughts on it, could be totally wrong.

You're totally right..  why on earth would LEGO take up valuable shelf space for sets like Ewok Village, Slave 1, Sandcrawler for movies that are 30 years old.

Poe's popularity was unexpected. LEGO underestimated demand for this set. Anything else is crazy talk...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gregpj said:

You're totally right..  why on earth would LEGO take up valuable shelf space for sets like Ewok Village, Slave 1, Sandcrawler for movies that are 30 years old.

Poe's popularity was unexpected. LEGO underestimated demand for this set. Anything else is crazy talk...

You're talking about iconic ships and scenes.  Poe is nowhere near as popular as those.  Also, 2 of the 3 sets you mention were released well before the new movie came out and well before this new star wars annual movie release schedule that we're now in.  They're about to be retired, in all likelihood as well (the other 2, not Slave 1).

I've read rumors about several UCS Star Wars sets for this year.  Hoth, Star Killer Base, Snow Speeder.  I think once these are official it will give us a little better idea of whether Lego / Disney will want to focus more on the past or the future going forward.

In a poll of over 120,000 people Poe ranked dead last in popularity for the movies main characters so lets not overstate his popularity at least among movie goers. - http://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/star-wars-poll/http://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/star-wars-poll/

Edited by rlangston77

9 minutes ago, rlangston77 said:

You're talking about iconic ships and scenes.  Poe is nowhere near as popular as those.  Also, 2 of the 3 sets you mention were released well before the new movie came out and well before this new star wars annual movie release schedule that we're now in.  They're about to be retired, in all likelihood as well (the other 2, not Slave 1).

I've read rumors about several UCS Star Wars sets for this year.  Hoth, Star Killer Base, Snow Speeder.  I think once these are official it will give us a much better idea of whether Lego / Disney will want to focus more on the past or the future going forward.

In a poll of over 120,000 people Poe ranked dead last in popularity for the movies main characters so lets not overstate his popularity at least among movie goers.

The x-wing isn't iconic? Rumors are rumors until they come true.... If you waited for all rumors to come true before buying a set, you'd be the intended target for many resellers around these parts.

What we do know is that another TFA x-wing is on the horizon. THAT is the question you should be asking... will the new X-Wing cause this set's early demise? And the answer I'll give you is NO. Whether Poe ranked dead last or not, his popularity was unexpected. He was supposed to be a bit player, but the actor did a fantastic job and I believe that resulted in him getting more screen time than expected.

LEGO underestimated demand for this set. It'll be back. It'll be a secondary market success some day.

• Like 1

My local walmart put a case out last week.  I've said this in another thread, but will repeat this here.  This was the first time I saw a case since I saw one at a TRU about 3 weeks ago.  I purchased two of them, and the seal codes on all 3 were 40r5.  I've checked the trackers at target and walmart over the weeks, and these are very hard to come by.  

I personally, don't know what is up with this set, but with another Poe's X-wing (his blue version from the beginning of the movie) coming out for the 2016 summer wave, i'll just hedge that I find it weird they are making a basic clone of this x-wing so soon.  Leaves me to believe something might happen to this one.  

I'm going to bet that this set is around until the end of the year.  It sold very well and X-wings are popular, so I see no reason why they can't have two variations of it in production at the same time.  Right now the TFA TIE fighter and Rebels TIE Advanced are both available.  The question in my mind is will this last into 2017?  A lot of Star Wars sets are being retired right now that were out less than 12-16 months, so that could be the trend going forward.

It's ridiculous to assume that this set retires after 3 months, especially after the early production issues. I am almost certain that the sets that i saw yesterday were brand new production. I just forgot to check seal codes on them. If there's an early cut off for this set, it's when the Summer wave one hits. Although I am beginning to suspect that will be a store exclusive.

Other force awakens lines have cut offs after less than 2 months.  Prime example is Chewbacca from the black series wave 1.  He's gone!  You could get him from the fourth of September until about Black friday when wave 2 hit, but you won't see him make an appearance at retail outlets.  The other 4 are still easy to find, and have been intermingled with new waves.  Wave 2 had 3 figures only released with that wave.  The 3.75 figures, also had their share of short releases.  So, whose to say disney isn't directing lego to do the same with some of these sets?  6 of the 7 sets appeared in the latest catalogue.  The only one that didn't was Poe's X-wing.  Too many people here are set on the past of how things used to be with lego production, but that's not how it will always be….  Raptor Escape is another example.  Many speculated it would be released in mass right now.  Emazers, perhaps the only one that called it correctly, because that set was retired, while the rest are still out.  That set was oOt from May 2nd until about November when the last wave hit, then it was retired.  Never say never, just because that's not how they used to do things.

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

It's ridiculous to assume that this set retires after 3 months, especially after the early production issues. I am almost certain that the sets that i saw yesterday were brand new production. I just forgot to check seal codes on them. If there's an early cut off for this set, it's when the Summer wave one hits. Although I am beginning to suspect that will be a store exclusive.

I agree that it should be around till the end of the year, at the least.  To think it's already retired is kind of crazy.  I'm not positive it will be around in 2017, my gut tells me it will start to smell like retirement towards the end of this year but its all just speculation.

Edit:  Great point made above, just because things used to operate one way with the Star Wars Lego merchandise, doesn't mean that is how it will be from here on out.  Disney is a force to be reckoned with and we may see odd release timing, odd retirement choices and set life lengths, etc.  Again, I'll point out what I said in an earlier post, never before have so many Star wars movies been released so closely together.  We're getting 1 per year for the next likely 5-6 years or more.  This could and probably will drastically effect Star Wars set lives, etc. including the Poe X-Wing.  Nobody knows his role in the next movie, it could be next to nothing for all we know so far.

Edited by rlangston77

19 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Raptor Escape is another example.  Many speculated it would be released in mass right now.  Emazers, perhaps the only one that called it correctly, because that set was retired, while the rest are still out.

Is this for real...?

• Like 1

First off, action figures are much different than LEGO when it comes to production cycles.  There have been many short-run or under produced Hasbro Star Wars figures and even entire waves that got poor distribution and command very high prices now.  This has been going on for the last 20 years.  LEGO has had much better distribution and consistent life cycles compared to Hasbro.  I don't think Disney is pulling the strings here and telling them to stop production of a popular set after only a few months. 

As far as Raptor Escape, it was not available to order in the 2016 wholesale catalog because it was a store exclusive.  That's what Emazers said about it late last year.  As we now know it's officially retired.  

Edited by zskid00

27 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Other force awakens lines have cut offs after less than 2 months.  Prime example is Chewbacca from the black series wave 1.  He's gone!  You could get him from the fourth of September until about Black friday when wave 2 hit, but you won't see him make an appearance at retail outlets.  The other 4 are still easy to find, and have been intermingled with new waves.  Wave 2 had 3 figures only released with that wave.  The 3.75 figures, also had their share of short releases.  So, whose to say disney isn't directing lego to do the same with some of these sets?  6 of the 7 sets appeared in the latest catalogue.  The only one that didn't was Poe's X-wing.  Too many people here are set on the past of how things used to be with lego production, but that's not how it will always be….  Raptor Escape is another example.  Many speculated it would be released in mass right now.  Emazers, perhaps the only one that called it correctly, because that set was retired, while the rest are still out.  That set was oOt from May 2nd until about November when the last wave hit, then it was retired.  Never say never, just because that's not how they used to do things.

The big reason that a lot of people switch from Hasbro to LEGO is that Hasbro's stocking policy has always been terrible. They reissue characters that were heavily overpacked previously, shortpack random figures and make changes that upset longtime fans. LEGO is readily available, does not shortpack, has designated skus instead of lumping all sets into the same shipping carton. If LEGO were to make a radical change like stopping production on a main set from a major property that is available at all retailers, then we might as well buy up every single Star Wars set we find. Who knows if the Battle on Takodana will make it to the end of the month? The Chewbacca that you mention was available previously in a different box, sat on shelves unsold until the movie came out, and Hasbro notoriously changes available products after a short shelf life.

Basing your decisions about LEGO sets on what Hasbro does is going to lead to a lot of heartache.

Comparing a mass market $80 flagship Star Wars set to an exclusive $40 Jurrassic World set is crazy. Your average collector, or little Timmy might never notice that they didn't get a second Raptor set, but I can guarantee that questions would be asked if they can't find an X-Wing since it was so prominently featured in the film.

It's all some kind of weird fear mongering.

I think it is complete realistic to think that lego will retire Poe's X-wing after only a year. As mentioned earlier there is a new movie based entirely on an x-wing squadron coming out at the end of the year. It would be silly for lego to not put out a different x-wing at the end of the year. It is also known information that lego is going to put out a differnt x-wing in the summer. It makes no sense business wise for lego to have 3 x-wing models out at the same time. Im not saying they are retiring it in the next couple of months I an just stating that it is completely possible that it will not make it to 2017.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mechanizer said:

I think it is complete realistic to think that lego will retire Poe's X-wing after only a year. As mentioned earlier there is a new movie based entirely on an x-wing squadron coming out at the end of the year. It would be silly for lego to not put out a different x-wing at the end of the year. It is also known information that lego is going to put out a differnt x-wing in the summer. It makes no sense business wise for lego to have 3 x-wing models out at the same time. Im not saying they are retiring it in the next couple of months I an just stating that it is completely possible that it will not make it to 2017.

why would lego retire a top SW seller only after 1 year?

with star wars being huge, 3 diff x-wings will still sell especially since they are different. 

btw, what is the 3rd x-wing?  there is no confirmation about rogue one sets...

Simply Speculation that there will be a 3rd set based on the newest movie. As you stated why would they stop porduction on the top selling set. The reason that is the top selling set is due to the movie. Apply that same logic to the new movie why would lego not create a new x-wing based on the new movie to maximize its profits. This is all basic business sense. Poe's X--wing is only going to be profitable as long as poe is a character that people are thinking about. As soon as Disney gives people a new character to focus on Poe's popularity is going to fail to the way side.

Edited by Mechanizer
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

with star wars being huge, 3 diff x-wings will still sell especially since they are different. 

I think he means that a third x-wing, considering Rogue One's story line, is not just possible but likely a guarantee.

As for Poe being a top seller, wasn't it recalled?  Do we even have any accurate sales data on this?  I'm looking around and I can't find data on it.  Not saying it isn't a top seller, just not sure where to look for that info.  Only thing I can find is the amazon sales rank of 398.

Edited by rlangston77

7 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

I could see a year for this set especially with the forthcoming yearly film releases. I could also see a new Poe's X-Wing coming in 2017 with Episode VIII. Hopefully with a more accurate design. I cannot see them retiring it after only 3-6 months, like some are discussing.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rlangston77 said:

I think he means that a third x-wing, considering Rogue One's story line, is not just possible but likely a guarantee.

As for Poe being a top seller, wasn't it recalled?  Do we even have any accurate sales data on this?  I'm looking around and I can't find data on it.  Not saying it isn't a top seller, just not sure where to look for that info.  Only thing I can find is the amazon sales rank of 398.

30 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I could see a year for this set especially with the forthcoming yearly film releases. I could also see a new Poe's X-Wing coming in 2017 with Episode VIII. Hopefully with a more accurate design. I cannot see them retiring it after only 3-6 months, like some are discussing.

lego may have halted production for a couple weeks due to the canopy issue but 75102 has pretty much been sold-out or ranked in lego's top 25.  i also rarely see the set in retail stores (target, lego mall, etc..).  the set is very popular despite the price tag.  additionally, lif i recall correctly lego SW sets released in conjunction with a film usually get at least the 18-24 month treatment (1999, 2002 and 2005)

note: i'm not trying to have a debate. just trying to understand.

8 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

lego may have halted production for a couple weeks due to the canopy issue but 75102 has pretty much been sold-out or ranked in lego's top 25.  i also rarely see the set in retail stores (target, lego mall, etc..).  the set is very popular despite the price tag.  additionally, lif i recall correctly lego SW sets released in conjunction with a film usually get at least the 18-24 month treatment (1999, 2002 and 2005)

In the past SW movies were also not released every year allowing for a longer shelf life for those sets.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mechanizer said:

In the past SW movies were also not released every year allowing for a longer shelf life for those sets.

yeah,  1999, 2002 and 2005.  even most 2005 sets were at retail for 2+ years before getting refreshed in the last 2000s and throughout this decade.

harry potter sets pretty much followed the 2 year cycle if i recall correctly. i will check.

13 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

Previously, there was a minimum of 3 years between film releases. 18 months-24 months doesn't even get you from one Prequel film to the next. With 18 months between Episode VII and VIII, they'll have to figure out some way to balance these films and the non numeric films. They could keep the carryovers around for 2 years, but I assume that they would want to get new buyers who already had the TFA stuff.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

Previously, there was a minimum of 3 years between film releases. 18 months-24 months doesn't even get you from one Prequel film to the next. With 18 months between Episode VII and VIII, they'll have to figure out some way to balance these films and the non numeric films. They could keep the carryovers around for 2 years, but I assume that they would want to get new buyers who already had the TFA stuff.

I'm in agreement with this fully.  We are in uncharted territory when it comes to Lego and Star Wars.  Exciting times are ahead, exciting and I would wager very unpredictable.

• Like 1

Thanks.  You're paying attention.  

It's not like they are stopping Poe or his x-wing from being developed.  There will just be a change in color.  Little Timmy could still get an x-wing with Poe in it.  It just might not be the black one, because that one will be going for 300.00 on ebay. :P

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 1