75102 - Poe's X-Wing Fighter

jaisonline

The recent batch of sets that retired over the winter and spring was probably the last time there was any guarenteed sets to give you a return. Right now Lego is the most unpredictable its ever been. You're better off playing stocks or investing in bitcoin or something.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

ohhh hell no. It may not be the "sure" thing as it was but I plan to watch carefully, adapt and continue to make money

Guest brickcrazyhouse

For me it would be a pass for deeper discount. X wings come and go like a merry go round. could be wrong but its not in my plan.

Thanks that's helpful.  That's another rookie mistake of mine, I've been buying this set at that buy in (and a few even at $70) just because I like the look of this ship.  I didn't even know till recently that WM and Target have these crazy clearance sales for Lego.  Alas, I'm learning.

@therookie

These days I think it's easy to get 20% off most any set. More common, but demanded, sets like this one, 30% is doable. And for investment purposes I think 30% would be the bare minimum. I personally don't like to buy anything under 50%, but I'll buy most anything under 50. And in large quantities.

But I'm sure I have a different strategy than you and many people here. I lean more on the flipper side.

But back to my point, you'll want at least 30% to ensure you cover all the fees for selling. That has been the biggest eye opener for me, calculating the Costs. You could buy something at retail and see 20-30% growth in 3 years. Which looks great in your portfolio, until you try to liquidate. And you find an easy 17% of your pretty 30% is eaten up in fees, not including packing and shipping. So your left to wonder if the time and energy is worth the 13%?

That's just the tip of the iceberg. Many other headaches you can run into along the way.

So small advice, 30% minimum for investment holding. Otherwise add 5% for every year after 3. Meaning if you bought in at 20% under retail, then expect another 2 more years (total of 5) to get the same return that you would've gotten if you had gotten it at 30% apr.

About as close to a science that i can make it. You can send me a tip for my advice through my PayPal account. Thanks =)

@donbee thanks for the scientific analysis.  I just starting buying sets but have not gotten around to selling yet.  I did do the math considering the fees.  If hypothetically the value of 75102 increased to $100 in 2018 and I sold it on ebay, profit would be $7.10 (after fees, $65 buy-in, free shipping).  Not exactly the $35 I'd initially have thought.  Looks like the winning formula would be = CL + lots of patience, no?

@pete411 What are shrinkage fees?  What site charges 15% selling fees, I thought eBay was 10% + paypall 2.9%?

Just curious here. Is that the common practice in the USA when selling on eBay. To give free shipping included in the purchase? 

When I look at eBay listings here in Europe they're virtually unanimously excluding shipping. So if an item is listed at €100, then the buyer will pay €100 + (around) €15 for shipping on top. Same for selling on Marktplaats in The Netherlands, which is more or less our Craig's List version here. 

Is it maybe like: you're not being competitive on eBay US if you're not providing free shipping included because other sellers do include it?

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

Remember that over here, Ebay don´t charge commissions on shipping (yet). I understand that is no longer the case in the US.

I assume that is to counter sellers who will sell an item for $1 and then charge ridiculous shipping to make up for the item price to avoid paying eBay commission?

2 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

Doesn't matter. Commission on total sale.

But it is in place to counter the deceptive listings (e.g., $1 item and $25 shipping).  When those type of "deals" were rampant, sellers didn't pay commission on shipping, IIRC. 

If I'm paying 10% on everything now, why not roll shipping cost into the total price and list as "Free shipping?" Customers like to see the word "free." 

Edited by biking_tiger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

Remember that over here, Ebay don´t charge commissions on shipping (yet). I understand that is no longer the case in the US.

Until recently, ebay fees (in Germany) had to be paid for both sales price and shipping. For some reason they changed their practice recently and fees do not need to be paid on shipping anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

Remember that over here, Ebay don´t charge commissions on shipping (yet).

They already did (at least on Ebay.de)... but then drew back again a couple of months ago. Because charging fees on shipping (which theoretically isn't their business) wasn't accepted by the community.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, biking_tiger said:
16 minutes ago, jerphisch said:

I always charge shipping separately, I'm not willing to eat that cost on returns.

If I'm paying 10% on everything now, why not roll shipping cost into the total price and list as "Free shipping?" Customers like to see the word "free." 

That is why unless you can afford the hit for return shipping if you need to accept the return for whatever reason.

• 2 weeks later...
On June 12, 2016 at 9:40 PM, Val-E said:

eBay.fr charges a flat 7.5% rate for both shipping and the sell price (i.e. if you sold for 100 and added 15 for shipping, they are going to take 7.5% of 115). Add the 4% PayPal fee and you're looking at about 11.5% going to fees and commissions for the total price.

I have yet to sell on eBay.  But I think here in the US ebay charges 10% on sell price and shipping cost.  While Paypal charges 2.9% on sell price and shipping cost.  For a grand total of 12.9%.  Can someone please confirm that?

• Like 1