10197 - Fire Brigade

Spartikis

Just around that time.  The growth was moderate and steady.  The Cafe Corner did not reach $1500+ in two years.  

But it is safe to say that a GE for example will only top that amount in twice the time or even never due to the quantity of production? Unless the amount of modular builders will exponentially grow in relation with the quantity.

I believe from the current series of modulars that will retire or still in production, Town Hall will be the one that will crush FB earnings and come close to Green Grocer in the same amount of time it did. Am I being too optimistic?

CC is what got my attention back in 2010 or so. I remember looking on eBay and seeing some for $600+ NIB.

Yes, I can remember pulling the trigger on a $600 MISB Cafe Corner in the King Of Prussia Mall parking lot.  I was wondering at the time if that set was worth it.  I guess it was....

• Like 1

Yes, I can remember pulling the trigger on a $600 MISB Cafe Corner in the King Of Prussia Mall parking lot.  I was wondering at the time if that set was worth it.  I guess it was....

No doubt. I spent the last 4 year buying hundreds/thousands of different sets chasing profits when in hindsight, stocking up on 10182 at that time wouldn't have been a bad alternative and a lot less work.

No doubt. I spent the last 4 year buying hundreds/thousands of different sets chasing profits when in hindsight, stocking up on 10182 at that time wouldn't have been a bad alternative and a lot less work.

The market was just starting to take off at that time.  Very few people hoarded Cafe Corners.  People didn't know what to expect.  When the Green Grocer launched and people figured out you can build a town block with these sets, the interest in the Cafe Corner exploded.  

The market was just starting to take off at that time.  Very few people hoarded Cafe Corners.  People didn't know what to expect.  When the Green Grocer launched and people figured out you can build a town block with these sets, the interest in the Cafe Corner exploded.  

Right, to have projected the continued growth in that set would have been taking a shot in the dark. If I could predict the future, I wouldn't waste that talent on reselling! Also, I guess I didn't feel the need to chase retired sets when there were still beautiful sets like 10194 and 10210 at retail (or below retail actually at that time)...of course, my shelf also was lined with lots of Home Ones, Pirate Tanks, & Duplo Zoos at that time still waiting to appreciate :-/

Going back to 10182 though, the sell through rates on those $1000+ sets like CC are probably too slow to make it a good plan even in hindsight.

Edited by LegoManiacc

I wonder if we will see similar patterns with the Imperial Flagship. I bought one for $400 around this time last year. Bought a second one to hold long-term. Brickpicker value is north of $600 now. Some sets are worth buying after retirement.

Large unique exclusives have never let me down either.

I wonder if we will see similar patterns with the Imperial Flagship. I bought one for $400 around this time last year. Bought a second one to hold long-term. Brickpicker value is north of $600 now. Some sets are worth buying after retirement.

This is the set that got me into investing. Accidentally purchased one at the sale price of $135 without adding more to cart to get the extra 10-15% off. So, I placed another order and tried to cancel (lol) the first order in the morning. Customer service could not cancel, so I just kept it and did not bother to return to a store. Then I saw the value jump...and I still have the extra to sell. Maybe I'll never sell it. Lol.

• 2 months later...

As a recent buyer of this set, I wanted to revive this thread by asking those who have bought it as an investment if they are happy with the resale value now, 1 year after EOL.

It would seem that performance is below par when compared with the GE which has only just gone, is in theory more hoarded and is now worth just a Little less.

What are your thoughts about its future performance?

As a recent buyer of this set, I wanted to revive this thread by asking those who have bought it as an investment if they are happy with the resale value now, 1 year after EOL.

It would seem that performance is below par when compared with the GE which has only just gone, is in theory more hoarded and is now worth just a Little less.

What are your thoughts about its future performance?

Even though, I didn't buy this set as an investment, I was surprised to see that it doubled from MSRP in 1 year. I thought it was going to take a little longer to do that. Regarding its future performance, I think it will do fine. The value of the set will grow slowly and steadily over time.

very true.  same logic applies to the annual winter sets :)

And this is why any Modular is a long term winner. Each of these Modulars will reach very high values at some point. As more people buy and enjoy the new ones, they will then pay top dollar for older Modulars to complete their collection. Will it happen overnight? No. But it will happen.

very true.  same logic applies to the annual winter sets :)

I bought a WV bakery the other day.  Lady sent it to me build LOL. I was like what the heck.  Toy shop and PO however i'm in no hurry to get atm.  They arn't necessary to complete the set, it just looks cooler to have more variety to display.  Unless someone buys something like 2 pet shops and makes an extra buildling out of it you need all sets to make a complete block. 

I bought a WV bakery the other day.  Lady sent it to me build LOL. I was like what the heck.

Don't we all love these ebay auctions categorized as "new", and somewhere in the fine print it says "condition: new, only built once to check for completeness"?

I bought a WV bakery the other day.  Lady sent it to me build LOL. I was like what the heck.  Toy shop and PO however i'm in no hurry to get atm.  They arn't necessary to complete the set, it just looks cooler to have more variety to display.  Unless someone buys something like 2 pet shops and makes an extra buildling out of it you need all sets to make a complete block. 

Maybe she wanted to safe you some time and she build it? She may know how busy we bloody resellers are.

Given many invested with BOGO or other discounts this set is doing very well. I can see this one exceeding our expectations, and soon.

I think the early profit takers (much discussed around EOL) that had been holding for a long time or bought in at $115 or so kept growth slow (relative to, say, TH). Considering how long this was available and often at discounts, it is hard to be disappointed with where FB sits now.

I just sold a FB on Ebay for $340.  I hated to let it go at that price since I'm sure it will be double that in a year, but I need to make some cash.  I paid retail for it, so it's still a decent profit.

I think that is optimistic. It may be up somewhere around 10-20% by the end of this year.

I am an optimistic man, but not crazy! If it hits $450 this Christmas I will sell 1/2 my stock.

Guest TabbyBoy

It seems like we have 2 windows of opportunity these days, 1 within 3 months of EOL due to hype and the next after 3 years!  It depends on if you want to wait and risk stagnation or even a fall in value (like 41999) or take the money asap and re-invest it for the next EOL +3months.  My strategy is half within 3 months and half longer term.