10197 - Fire Brigade

Spartikis

23 hours ago, valenciaeric said:

Cheapest BIN on EU ebay is now 380 euros - the gap with 10211 has widened and it is now trading at HH levels, although it retired 1 year earlier.

Is it selling at that price though? Do the Sold Listings match this price. 

In the UK some BINs are knocking on the door of £300 but not gone over it yet. 

49 minutes ago, CNH1974 said:

Is it selling at that price though? Do the Sold Listings match this price. 

In the UK some BINs are knocking on the door of £300 but not gone over it yet. 

On German ebay 13 new Fire Brigades were sold in the last 2 weeks (I only counted listings in Euro and with accurate selling price). The average selling price was 312€. Results may vary for different markets.

(only listing in Euroswas

Yup, 320 euros is the sold items barrier so now it depends on whether sellers or buyers have more patience to wait it out.On Amazon.de there are still plenty for less than that so I guess we can till who will win the battle.

Edited by valenciaeric
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Miami Bomb Squad said:

What is going on with this set?.........And Please don't tell me its the Ghostbusters HQ.
Seems like the price has gradually been dipping,  going for $300 - $330.  (Ebay of course)
I was hoping it would be over $400 by now. 

I was wondering the same thing and also hoping the same.  Disappointed so far. 

15 minutes ago, Miami Bomb Squad said:

What is going on with this set?.........And Please don't tell me its the Ghostbusters HQ.
Seems like the price has gradually been dipping,  going for $300 - $330.  (Ebay of course)
I was hoping it would be over $400 by now. 

From what I have observed over the past few years prices drop around this time as more sellers enter the market. Ebay traffic has continued its steady decline as purchasing habits evolve in the USA and ebay's continued problems with google search and lack of effective marketing and innovation are certainly not helping things. I don;t think GBHQ has a anything to do with the price action you are observing.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Miami Bomb Squad said:

That write up is from 2 1/2 years ago, you must have a stellar Memory.
From now on, I'm going to sell Only in November.

We had a similar conversation in a different thread.  Credit goes to Bold-Arrow for the stellar memory.  I'm just good at using google to find the link.

36 minutes ago, nolanfan34 said:

I think there is some modular fatigue as well. If you're coming out of the dark ages right now, you have like 4 current and one recent modular to start with, so I just think it will take progressively longer for each one to mature. Plus more resellers, etc, etc...

For modular, I think it is reaching a stage whereby collectors are more selective as most people do not have huge display shelves at home. There will be some modular there are more sought after, and factors such as rarity will come into play. The rarer a modular building is, the higher will be the demand. So I think the first few modular buildings will see the prices hold up well, and the recent ones will likely see a longer waiting period to make any money. The market will be self adjusting and once people notice that it is harder to make money off the newer modular sets, the demand will drop off naturally.

• Like 2

Another fact to consider is the super long life this set had - it was on the market for a long long time. Yes, it is true that people become Lego collectors on a daily basis, but on the other hand side the old AFOLs had plenty of time to obtain this set...
Also....its not the best looking set either. Probably out of all modulars..it's the least attractive one, hence if there is more than one set missing from your collection you'll buy something else before spending money on the Fire Brigade! 

When I got out of my dark ages, I tried to get one at a reasonable price but couldn't get myself to fork over the $350 asking price. I do think that with all the modulars available at the same time, you can start a respectable collection without digging deep into the catalog. We're going to have five modulars widely available at the same time. That's just ridiculous. You can start a whole damn town after one trip down to the Lego store. 

From the PS onward, I don't think there's much money to be made with modulars. I think of them as bonds. Slow steady growth with low risk, but you definitely won't get rich off of them. 

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy

How can the FB being worth double after not long being retired be a bad thing? That's what it sounds like on here. What we see at this time of year is the pre-Xmas-offload where there's more competition from those wanting to make a quick buck, offload their stash and sell the crap they don't want. Personally, I've not made any more just before Xmas than at any other time during the year. I think late Winter and early Spring are better as a lot of people still have their Xmas money to spend and want to treat themselves after the Winter blues. Remember, every day is always somebody's birthday and LEGO isn't seasonal apart from the Xmas and Monster Fighters themes.

Am I going to sell my FBs now? Hell no! I think they'll continue to climb and I'll rake in £50+ more by next year.

Since there's a lot more "investors" around, some quit due to impatience and some don't earn quickly enough to satisfy their greed. Be shrewd, play the game properly and you can still do OK. I've made lots of mistakes but, I have over £20k in remaining stock that's already been paid for and owes me nothing. However, it has taken 3yrs and by no means replaces my main source of income.

A £99 FB now going for >£200 after fees? That's an AMAZING result, don't knock it!

Tabby, the problem is that it got to that level quickly but has not moved on in EOL year 2. We are seeing that with GE and TH too. It´s not a bad investment but one has to measure growth on a yearly basis as once the big jump has happened it may make sense to sell out an reinvest in other things.

12 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

Tabby, the problem is that it got to that level quickly but has not moved on in EOL year 2. We are seeing that with GE and TH too. It´s not a bad investment but one has to measure growth on a yearly basis as once the big jump has happened it may make sense to sell out an reinvest in other things.

I'm not bearish on the FB. Everybody wants one in his street. And it's a beautiful building. It's a matter of supply and demand. These things get bought and built. Supply will dry up and prices should move back up. Pet shop is more tricky. It's a plain less eye catching building. 

note that amongst the newer modulars, the building tend to be split into 2, i.e. PS, bank, detective office.

Maybe there will be collectors who like only the single modular buildings, and some other collectors will like the split format. I tend to feel that a mixture of split unit with single unit modular looks untidy. It should either be all split units or all whole unit modular buildings placed together. So this could be a factor for continued appreciation of the GE and FB modular sets.

1 hour ago, 10230 said:

Also, if eBay had promotions like the recent $10 or $5 cap on fees also in past years close to the holidays, this could explain some dip in prices too, since I would expect this to simply result in lower prices.

I sold quite a large sets with the capped fees promotion that will skew the sale price down. 

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, valenciaeric said:

I still think that this can be a good long term hold as new AFOLs appear all the time. However, there do seem to be windows opening/closing which means that timing is as important as waiting. It's unlikely that FB will drop to <2xRRP and I think waiting another year or so is a risk worth taking for me. I think SuperHeroes, Friends & CITY are risky due to regular refreshes and sought after minfigs being included in new sets.

The biggest jumps are always in the first year. It's why I don't subscribe to the hold everything forever philosophy. Especially now with the threat of remakes. Double money then move on the next one and repeat.