Lego Store Canada

gravtation

5 minutes ago, lobo1969 said:

Sell. Now!

Key book prices on anything Harley and Suicide Squad are peaking now and with the low CDN dollar its the perfect storm for selling. I'm a big comic collector/investor and I've been in sell mode for a while and certainly not buying very much from the USA

I just can't. I sold off the stuff I didn't want years ago and have been much more selective in my buying since. Everything I have now is something I value, whether for my own past enjoyment or its importance in comics lore. These books are definitely a case of both and I'd be regretful afterwards I'm sure. Too bad I wasn't using my lego buying strategy then where I buy one for me and 10 for Timmy.

2 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

I just can't. I sold off the stuff I didn't want years ago and have been much more selective in my buying since. Everything I have now is something I value, whether for my own past enjoyment or its importance in comics lore. These books are definitely a case of both and I'd be regretful afterwards I'm sure. Too bad I wasn't using my lego buying strategy then where I buy one for me and 10 for Timmy.

Its risky but you could sell now at a big profit and wait 1-2 years for the movie hype to pass and the CDN dollar to go back up hopefully close to par with USD and you can buy these books back much cheaper. I can almost guarantee you can make this work if you are patient enough. The hype and speculation on these books won't last past this summer and a market correction will start to happen.

4 minutes ago, lobo1969 said:

Its risky but you could sell now at a big profit and wait 1-2 years for the movie hype to pass and the CDN dollar to go back up hopefully close to par with USD and you can buy these books back much cheaper. I can almost guarantee you can make this work if you are patient enough. The hype and speculation on these books won't last past this summer and a market correction will start to happen.

Quite possible but I'm just not mentally "there" about selling my personal collection of comics. Ironically, like most kids, I got into comics with an idea that they could be sold for profit and learned that what the store would pay and what it would sell for are very different things, but now I'm making money off my other childhood hobby Lego which no one back then ever considered.

Not sure if now is the peak. It reminds me of what happened when the Walking Dead TV show first started. For years now you cannot find a single issue of the comic book series below issue 100 in back issue bins in the Toronto area. If the Squad movie does well  the high prices might have staying power. I think they're using this movie to set up some of the villains for future DCU movies so I expect we'll see some if not all of them again, especially with a new Batman series of movies planned.

3 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

Quite possible but I'm just not mentally "there" about selling my personal collection of comics. Ironically, like most kids, I got into comics with an idea that they could be sold for profit and learned that what the store would pay and what it would sell for are very different things, but now I'm making money off my other childhood hobby Lego which no one back then ever considered.

Not sure if now is the peak. It reminds me of what happened when the Walking Dead TV show first started. For years now you cannot find a single issue of the comic book series below issue 100 in back issue bins in the Toronto area. If the Squad movie does well  the high prices might have staying power. I think they're using this movie to set up some of the villains for future DCU movies so I expect we'll see some if not all of them again, especially with a new Batman series of movies planned.

Walking Dead is the exception to all the rules right now and is a industry to all its own. The success of TWD is such a one-off that we may not see a comic related speculative success like it again. Mostly the trend with comics hyped by movies/TV shows is to sell at peak prices 1-2 weeks before the movie/show premieres. Prices almost always contract after the premiere.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
According to Brickset, Jason Allamenn, designer of the new ideas maze will be at the lego store on April 9th from 11-3pm for set signing.  Wonder if a designer signed copy actually adds any value to Lego sets? 

Very little .. Since most secondary market buyers open to build not to display a box.

PS Which store?

Thanks, Sorry I forgot to mention that it's at Yorkdale.

Don't get me wrong... If I could get one signed I would, but the reality is the signatures have no value since they're not famous people so you're only appealing to a very very small number of people who like to collect sealed boxes.

I know one trekkie who'd probably like a signed copy of the birds set, not sure how he feels about this one. :)

The Vaughn Mills lego store had 20 plus of the 21301 birds sets last night. I haven't seen these anywhere else lately. I passed on them given my big spending last month but hey, it's a new month today! Ten percent discount if you have a membership. Not much else of note other than they had about the same number of Pirate Chess sets.

30 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

The Vaughn Mills lego store had 20 plus of the 21301 birds sets last night. I haven't seen these anywhere else lately. I passed on them given my big spending last month but hey, it's a new month today! Ten percent discount if you have a membership. Not much else of note other than they had about the same number of Pirate Chess sets.

Birds is not selling and most people picked these up at a huge discount at TRU.   Anyone buying these at full price should do more research.

TLG are really adjusting prices for the CDN dollar, that new maze set is 89.99CDN vs 69.99US.  I think the price is pretty high for what you get as there is nothing really unique in the set is there?  Could probably bricklink it for less if color wasn't an issue.

Edited by Zender

21 hours ago, Zender said:

TLG are really adjusting prices for the CDN dollar, that new maze set is 89.99CDN vs 69.99US.

That seems quite normal with TLG's peculiar exchange rates:
20 USD = 25 CAD
30 USD = 40 CAD
40 USD = 50 CAD
50 USD = 60 CAD
60 USD = 75 CAD
70 USD = 90 CAD
80 USD = 100 CAD
100 USD = 130 CAD

and so on...

15 minutes ago, Stragus said:

That seems quite normal with TLG's peculiar exchange rates:
20 USD = 25 CAD
30 USD = 40 CAD
40 USD = 50 CAD
50 USD = 60 CAD
60 USD = 75 CAD
70 USD = 90 CAD
80 USD = 100 CAD
100 USD = 130 CAD

and so on...

What are you exactly trying to point out?  Are these specific sets?

No, he's countering Zender's comment, saying that all the sets released in 2016 share this same pricing ratio. I have to agree with Stragus. If you look at the price per piece on the maze vs comparable priced sets, you're actually get more bits of lego (sure, smaller parts, but a good 100 more). Dr. Who is $70 with 625 parts, Maze is $90 with 769 parts.  11.2 cents per piece, vs 11.7 cents per piece. (14.5cpp for BBT, 11.8cpp for E1, and 10.4cpp for WE)  Considering the last 3 releases prior to this, and all the others really, I expect TLG considers Ideas to be a licensed theme whether there's licensed characters or not. In which case the prices of the Maze line up with the prices of previous Ideas sets released in Canada. 

On 4/2/2016 at 11:59 AM, Vader888 said:

LEGO store in Fairview Mall has the Flatiron and Lincoln architecture sets on sale.  Buy both and add a minifigure to get the Mr. Freeze for free!

I saw these Friday but didn't want to bite.

What other $75< sets or combo purchases are everyone else taking advantage of for the FREEZE poly?