TRU Canada Sales and Clearance

tacsniper

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2018 at 3:21 PM, lobo1969 said:

I still see/hear people thinking TRU is closed for good. Guess all these radio ads and celeb appearances at locations are justified.

My local store had a WWE wrestler come by a couple weeks ago, the line was wrapped around the store, crazy. I'm liking all the renos they're doing to be a bit more "modern". They even had their parking lot re-paved, all to try to hammer home they really are here to stay i guess :P 

Stock seems to be more on point now, and just all around it seems like they are stepping their game up which i'm happy about. The alternative would be my Toronto Walmarts, which are usually poorly stocked with toys with limited selection even when fully stocked, and incredibly messy.

59 minutes ago, Sandwraith said:

I still see/hear people thinking TRU is closed for good. Guess all these radio ads and celeb appearances at locations are justified.

My local store had a WWE wrestler come by a couple weeks ago, the line was wrapped around the store, crazy. I'm liking all the renos they're doing to be a bit more "modern". They even had their parking lot re-paved, all to try to hammer home they really are here to stay i guess :P 

Stock seems to be more on point now, and just all around it seems like they are stepping their game up which i'm happy about. The alternative would be my Toronto Walmarts, which are usually poorly stocked with toys with limited selection even when fully stocked, and incredibly messy.

Yea, and in store they have an announcement from the President of Toys R Us reminding people "We're here to play and we're here to stay". The aisles have always been better maintained than Walmart in my experience... it pains me looking at the Walmart selection but sometimes good deals can go less noticed because of that.

What does suck though, is most of the Lego sales from tru have been 15% lately, rather than the typical 20%. Even most of the clearance markdowns are only 15%.
C'mon tru… we can do a little better than that :D 

3 minutes ago, tacsniper said:

Not sure if this is news to anyone, but it was news to me. I bought some clearance sets yesterday and was told they no longer do the BOGO 50% off on clearance items. Which is disappointing. I like to help them clear our their stock when 2nd one is half off.

BOGO at 50% was a standing clearance policy? Because I didn't know about it.

I think everyone has to understand the TRUs Canada will start doing their own thing as they are now an entity apart from the old TRU corp. The pattern of discounts and sales will most likely change and maybe not for the better. We will just have to wait and see.

3 hours ago, tacsniper said:

Not sure if this is news to anyone, but it was news to me. I bought some clearance sets yesterday and was told they no longer do the BOGO 50% off on clearance items. Which is disappointing. I like to help them clear our their stock when 2nd one is half off.

is there a bogo going on?

isnt bogo include all item ending in .98?

1 hour ago, TargetZero said:

is there a bogo going on?

isnt bogo include all item ending in .98?

They use to have bogo for clearance items once a year, sometimes twice. It was never a year round thing... but I too heard that that's no longer happening going forward... but honestly... that could all depend on sales. If their sales decline, we may start seeing better promotions again. Fingers crossed!

3 hours ago, jimmajenga said:

They use to have bogo for clearance items once a year, sometimes twice. It was never a year round thing... but I too heard that that's no longer happening going forward... but honestly... that could all depend on sales. If their sales decline, we may start seeing better promotions again. Fingers crossed!

Its been going on for over a year now. I have been buying clearance (ending in .98) at BOGO for a while now. It is not category/brand specific. As long as it ends in .98 you get the BOGO. They don't always have signs by the clearance tag. But they have their BOGO signage in front of the store or handing at a basket in the middle of the isles.This was an in-store only thing as well. Never worked on their website.

4 hours ago, jimmajenga said:

If their sales decline, we may start seeing better promotions again. Fingers crossed!

Without meaningful discount or useful loyalty program, they are on track to fail. Like what is the point of their R Club right now? I don't see much benefits to it, nor does it accumulate points for any sort of benefits. Whoever came up and approved that program needs to be fired.

8 hours ago, tacsniper said:

Its been going on for over a year now. I have been buying clearance (ending in .98) at BOGO for a while now. It is not category/brand specific. As long as it ends in .98 you get the BOGO. They don't always have signs by the clearance tag. But they have their BOGO signage in front of the store or handing at a basket in the middle of the isles.This was an in-store only thing as well. Never worked on their website.

Not working for me. Purchased two sets yesterday ending in .98 and no BOGO. I still wanted the sets, so no big deal, but I would rather have gotten one 50% off :)

15 hours ago, tacsniper said:

You're lucky your store had it, because it definitely wasn't Country wide. Some stores have different things on clearance and have specific promotions for the store or maybe even district. I worked at TRU, I know it wasn't year at most stores... the BOGO pops up automatically at the register, but it didn't work for me once because they ended it earlier than I thought one time.  :(

1 hour ago, Gray2010 said:

My local toys r us has a ton harry potter polybag 30407, are they worth getting them?

Interest seems to have diminished on this poly, but worth picking up a few to hold IMO. I’ve been selling them for $12-$15 local pickup cash. Have some on eBay not getting any attention over the last few weeks.

I've been to 3 different TRUs in the Toronto area this week and all have a BOGO 50% off clearance items sale going on across the store. Picked up a few of the pricier jungle lego sets this way but skipped the Nexo Knights offerings. All of these stores have significant empty shelf areas so it looks like they're gearing up for Christmas displays. Also got a lot of Star Wars figures and props on clearance (Kylo Ren's lightsaber,, yes please).