10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

The Death Star lives....There is a Death Star in the new  spinoff...STAR WARS: Rouge One, so I am figuring a new set with new features and characters.  Plus, we don't even know if there will be a Death Star in this year's release.   

Here is the link....

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/director-gareth-edwards-reveals-star-789951?utm_source=twitter

Edited by Ed Mack

The Death Star lives....There is a Death Star in the new  spinoff...STAR WARS: Rouge One, so I am figuring a new set with new features and characters.  Plus, we don't even know if there will be a Death Star in this year's release.   

Here is the link....

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/director-gareth-edwards-reveals-star-789951?utm_source=twitter

​I'm hoping that the plot line of stealing the Death Star plans actually means having to board the thing...then you do have almost endless possibilities for what a new LEGO set may be. As others have guessed on here, it probably means something smaller, more affordable (because of the lack of direct OT tie-ins), but still with that "wow" factor that comes with a set that any Rogue One fan is going to have to have.

Here is the link....

I don't think i could be more excited about the future of Star Wars. I NEVER thought i'd see the day the Death Star would be back on the big screen, but here we are.

BOOM

Edited by mudcatsfan
  • Like 1

Well, if just2good on Eurobricks was really serious about what everyone thought was April Fool's joke, the new DS would be "larger,  bigger, better"...

​There are just too many rumors flying around for this not to be true.  The 10188 has a lot going for it, so if the new one is a similar play set, with different rooms, features and characters, the 10188 might retire and still exhibit strong growth.  If it is a set similar to the 10143, but a completed version...everyone wins.  Serious collectors want them all, especially with all the STAR WARS buzz over the next 5-10 years.  

Edited by Ed Mack

​There are just too many rumors flying around for this not to be true.  The 10188 has a lot going for it, so if the new one is a similar play set, with different rooms, features and characters, the 10188 might retire and still exhibit strong growth.  Serious collectors want them all, especially with all the STAR WARS buzz over the next 5-10 years.  

​I agree Ed, the only part I take issue with is actually the number of the collectors you are referring to. DS pulled me from my dark ages in 2010 and I've considered myself a "serious" collector ever since (spent a pretty penny in that line over the last 5 years). Do I buy all SW sets? Of course not, there are some seriously lame ones.

And considering there are people who have been hoarding this set since 2008, I'm afraid that supply vastly outmatches the demand of the completionists...

Bottom line is I'm veeery skeptical about investment potential of 2008 DS if they really put out a new 5k pieces DS with scenes from all -3 movies now... And they stick to it for the next 7-10 years.

Edited by Vinetu

Some of these back story ideas are really cool, but I hope the Star Wars universe doesn't get over-saturated.  I guess we need to trust in Disney.

​I want a Boba Fett movie directed by Quentin Tarantino, 16+ rating. Will never happen though.

Regarding the Death Star, a mix of old and new is quite feasible. After all, no matter where we are in the timeline, there is always a Vader and Palpatine on the space station. And if I were LEGO, I would pull a stunt by making some of the rooms swappable and releasing scenes as vignettes that are viable sets on their own too. After all, the current DS is nothing more than a large series of vignettes. 

Edited by inversion
  • Like 2

if the new one is a similar play set, with different rooms, features and characters, the 10188 might retire and still exhibit strong growth.  If it is a set similar to the 10143, but a completed version...everyone wins.  Serious collectors want them all...

...also giving self storage services and the housing market a push upwards. I am really lucky I'm not a collector myself - not having to find display/storage space for all those big sets.

​I want a Boba Fett movie directed by Quentin Tarantino, 16+ rating. Will never happen though.

Regarding the Death Star, a mix of old and new is quite feasible. After all, no matter where we are in the timeline, there is always a Vader and Palpatine on the space station. And if I were LEGO, I would pull a stunt by making some of the rooms swappable and releasing scenes as vignettes that are viable sets on their own too. After all, the current DS is nothing more than a large series of vignettes. 

​LEGO is way ahead of you ;)   

ETA: yeah I know this is bigger than what you meant.  But if they make the new DS this size... :P

• Like 1

​LEGO is way ahead of you ;)   

ETA: yeah I know this is bigger than what you meant.  But if they make the new DS this size... :P

​I had exactly that set in my mind when I was writing the post. Anyway if I did what I described, I would solve it by having these sets an alternate build that fits into the DS as a room, obviously scaling down size and having some leftover pieces. So not all of the sets have to be the same scale etc, but could boost sales of both DS and these sets. With that sort of modularity LEGO would make a killing, especially if there will be new scenes on the DS.

• Like 1

​I agree Ed, the only part I take issue with is actually the number of the collectors you are referring to. DS pulled me from my dark ages in 2010 and I've considered myself a "serious" collector ever since (spent a pretty penny in that line over the last 5 years). Do I buy all SW sets? Of course not, there are some seriously lame ones.

And considering there are people who have been hoarding this set since 2008, I'm afraid that supply vastly outmatches the demand of the completionists...

Bottom line is I'm veeery skeptical about investment potential of 2008 DS if they really put out a new 5k pieces DS with scenes from all -3 movies now... And they stick to it for the next 7-10 years.

​I think many investors have ignored this set for various reasons.  I'm not saying there is not a ton of these sets in storage, but many people have moved onto other sets long ago and have even sold their old ones to flip into newer sets.  

​It will be interesting to see how much of these back stories Disney is going to "borrow" from the abolished Expanded Universe (EU) :P

​In the panel with Pablo Hidalgo, the guy in charge of SW canon now, he said that we could see a re-introduction of EU characters but they would be in the new context of the new canon. I believe we have already see this and didn't realize it. Remember about the time the Revan minifig came out and Disney had supposedly put the squash on all things EU? I believe he got released because.....he's going to be canon soon. I could be wrong, but i say that Kylo Ren is the guy's real name in TFA and when he becomes a sith, he takes on the name, Darth Revan. His original backstory doesn't matter anymore because Disney can use him how they see fit now. But this would explain how a major EU character got released when there was supposed to be a hold on all EU stuff. As far as a new Death Star, i believe it is coming. The Lego Droid Tales panel, which i'm sure has been mentioned by now, kind of said it without actually saying it. I'm a collector first and an investor second so i say bring it on! :)

​I think many investors have ignored this set for various reasons.  I'm not saying there is not a ton of these sets in storage, but many people have moved onto other sets long ago and have even sold their old ones to flip into newer sets.  

• Like 2

​In the panel with Pablo Hidalgo, the guy in charge of SW canon now, he said that we could see a re-introduction of EU characters but they would be in the new context of the new canon. I believe we have already see this and didn't realize it. Remember about the time the Revan minifig came out and Disney had supposedly put the squash on all things EU? I believe he got released because.....he's going to be canon soon. I could be wrong, but i say that Kylo Ren is the guy's real name in TFA and when he becomes a sith, he takes on the name, Darth Revan. His original backstory doesn't matter anymore because Disney can use him how they see fit now. But this would explain how a major EU character got released when there was supposed to be a hold on all EU stuff. As far as a new Death Star, i believe it is coming. The Lego Droid Tales panel, which i'm sure has been mentioned by now, kind of said it without actually saying it. I'm a collector first and an investor second so i say bring it on! :)

I disagree that they said that. Their hint was completely vague and only said there's some very interesting things coming we're all sure to love.........so depending on your hopes and dreams, yes those exact dreams are coming true  :)

​Hmm, interesting theory on Darth Revan. Also, to be fair, there is NO MENTION of KotOR anywhere on the Darth Revan poly from 2014 :money:

The guy who originally posted the Death Star info over at Eurobricks has been spot on in the past. That added to all that was said at Celebration and i believe the current DS will be retired this winter and a new one to coincide with Rogue One, a movie entirely about the Death Star plans, will be released January 2017 as the movie comes out December 2016. That's my prediction. Take it or leave it. 

The guy who originally posted the Death Star info over at Eurobricks has been spot on in the past. That added to all that was said at Celebration and i believe the current DS will be retired this winter and a new one to coincide with Rogue One, a movie entirely about the Death Star plans, will be released January 2017 as the movie comes out December 2016. That's my prediction. Take it or leave it. 

​Sounds like a plan.  I think many people wondered if a new Death Star would be in The Force Awakens, so they were hesitant to believe a new Death Star would be released.  Now that we know an entire STAR WARS movie will be dedicated to the Death Star, one can safely assume there will be some new version released next year.  I am not writing off a new Death Star in The Force Awakens, but why bother including one, with the future Rouge One movie a year after Episode VII?

Edited by Ed Mack
  • Like 1