10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

Well, if you were as versed with Eurobricks as you are with this forum, you'd know that J2G is notoriously known for someone who "spreads" the leaks TLG wants spread ahead of time. In exactly vague and indeterminate manner as marketing experts of the company want it done to create hype.

First you hear what, then one or two very general characteristics, then the most rotten blurry pic you can possibly imagine ("All I had is my old phone camera and couldn't approach it more than 300m..."), then... you know how that story goes.

So you better take experienced people from over at Eurobricks word for it, J2G info is law. So we know what, and we'll know more when TLG upper echelons decide it's time for us to know more...

I don't know whether to buy the current DS now or wait for the new one (IF, there is a new one). I've been holding off on this set for a while now and would prefer to buy through Lego shop and get the VIP points but im not certain if it will return. Don't fancy paying another £100 on top if it is gone. What you guys think I should do? 

From within the land of oz, we find a general search on our Lego online shop for current star wars products does not include the death star. The Ewok Village, however, continues to make an appearance. If we do a specific death star search it is displayed near some retired star wars products. I truly feel that the end is near. Rumours of a new one do not surprise, I said this earlier  on this thread as a joke.This does not necessarily mean however that they will replace the old with new right now, it would not make sense, rather they would wait a few years just like other sets. Nevertheless, we will still however have to pick the right time to flip, maybe sooner is better than later. It will probably peak right after the movie if they get rid of it I am not sure, but time is essence.

I agree with the statement that time is essence for QFLL of this set. As for the prediction that the new one would come "in few years", well, I think we all know how reliable DS is when it comes to time frame predictions :)

@bartonregis I believe this set would come back after the promo, that's at least what many different Lego store employees have been telling me lately (Europe). Most rumors hint at the end of this year for definitive EOL. But this is the purchase you shouldn't be delaying much longer if you want 10188 and not wanting to rely on rumors/wait for the new one.

He posted about the successor DS on April 2nd. I called him up on that, he kept insisting he's absolutely not joking.

I did see those posts as I'm a member there.  I would not mind seeing a recent post.

i also think a refresh is coming in some way (smaller individual sets maybe) because of subtle hint given at Celebration.  I posted about it here.  Maybe the Throne Room is the first of a couple of DS sets...

I agree with the statement that time is essence for QFLL of this set. As for the prediction that the new one would come "in few years", well, I think we all know how reliable DS is when it comes to time frame predictions :)

@bartonregis I believe this set would come back after the promo, that's at least what many different Lego store employees have been telling me lately (Europe). Most rumors hint at the end of this year for definitive EOL. But this is the purchase you shouldn't be delaying much longer if you want 10188 and not wanting to rely on rumors/wait for the new one.

The thing is I'm happy to wait for another one, IF there is one coming. I don't know why but there's just something about the 10188 I just don't like. Maybe it's the scale or the rooms (can't really put finger on it) but Im just not overly keen on it. I much prefer the 10143. That being said, if it isn't getting an updated version then I want it 

Oh wow I guess we can all rest easy now....SMDH

​Think what you like but the slightest thing and everyone's panicking its been like this for the last 3 years with this set the slightest thing and everyone loads up on more to feed their DS portfolio then lego keep making more.       I have inside information on this set I understand people will disagree but why would I say that as I know if I am wrong people will never listen to me again about EOL so please listen to me on this. Of course make up your own mind but don't say I didn't tell you.  

​Think what you like but the slightest thing and everyone's panicking its been like this for the last 3 years with this set the slightest thing and everyone loads up on more to feed their DS portfolio then lego keep making more.       I have inside information on this set I understand people will disagree but why would I say that as I know if I am wrong people will never listen to me again about EOL so please listen to me on this. Of course make up your own mind but don't say I didn't tell you.  

​Unless you can provide a credible explanation of why you have this inside information, you're <not credible> in my book.  There's been plenty of "inside" information floating around for years about this set...however, none has come to pass so why should we believe you?  

Edited by gregpj
We all know what it meant... language. ;)

I think you guys are being a little harsh on king156 here. I'm appreciative of his post, and I hope all this backlash doesn't stop him from posting in the future. He's not anything like that rude person who posted about the PC retiring this year.

Okay I'm done with my soapbox now. And just to add in my 2 cents, I don't think that Lego will refresh such a large set with an even larger one. For one, the pricepoint would have to be $500 or more which would be the most expensive set that I can think of. Second, how often do we see a refresh of an item within 2 years of retirement being around the same pricepoint (within a 20%-30% pricepoint increase or decrease)? No insider info here, just using common sense.

• Like 2

​Unless you can provide a credible explanation of why you have this inside information, you're <not credible> in my book.  There's been plenty of "inside" information floating around for years about this set...however, none has come to pass so why should we believe you?  

​As I said I have inside information on this I don't really want to go into details on who etc, but of course information's been floating around for ages its been out 7 years. Peace out :)

I don't know whether to buy the current DS now or wait for the new one (IF, there is a new one). I've been holding off on this set for a while now and would prefer to buy through Lego shop and get the VIP points but im not certain if it will return. Don't fancy paying another £100 on top if it is gone. What you guys think I should do? 

​I bought my first one.   I just kick myself for not buying a Super Star Destroyer and I would hate missing this and not having one.  In my humble opinion.  I'm not out to buy ten but I definitely had to have one

• Like 1

​Until I see something more than a rumor, I'll have my doubts. I've seen the set #s with prices, but I don't believe anyone has confirmed that one of them is a MF yet .. or was I too busy with the trivia contest and I missed it? Maybe the 130 pound set I see referenced is the new DS playset?

​I am sure there will be a new Falcon in September 2015. A Lego store employee confirmed that to me last Saturday. And of course this makes sense: With the new SW7 movie hitting cinemas in Dec 2015, featuring the MF (see trailer!), would you really expect Lego NOT to have most iconic ship on the shelves in EVERY toy shop around the world? 

However, I decided not to unload my 7965 MFs before September. Why? Seeing the pricing of the new set, I expect it to have less pieces and therefore cheaper, geared towards higher sales numbers. 149 bucks for the 7965 (in Europe) was a bit too much for most parents, 129 will be better, discounted will be 99 ..., I can imagine this Falcon will fly higher than the last one in terms of turnover (i. e. quantity times sales prices). In other words, I expect the new MF being more mainstream, more like the new AT AT, Star destroyer, etc. All those newer sets have been (IMHO) a step back in terms of details and awesomeness, still good, but more ordinary. In other words: I expect the 7965 version the best MF playset for years to come. No need to flip the 7965's before Xmas, will hold 1 or 2 for year to come, just in case.

Didn't Just2Good post about 10188 on April Fools Day?  Did he ever comment on 10188 again after that?  

​There's a new Death Star next year. Also, we're getting LEGO Disney Collectible Minifigures next year, most likely as the May release.

• Like 5

​I am sure there will be a new Falcon in September 2015. A Lego store employee confirmed that to me last Saturday. And of course this makes sense: With the new SW7 movie hitting cinemas in Dec 2015, featuring the MF (see trailer!), would you really expect Lego NOT to have most iconic ship on the shelves in EVERY toy shop around the world? 

However, I decided not to unload my 7965 MFs before September. Why? Seeing the pricing of the new set, I expect it to have less pieces and therefore cheaper, geared towards higher sales numbers. 

Not that this is the SW 2015 thread, but most recent and possibly more reliable rumors from toy fair attendees have the new MF 75105 @ $149 ($10 more than 7965) and a piece count of 1332 which is also more than MF 7965 piece count (1254).  So more money and more pieces, not less and cheaper.  Again these are all rumors but...

http://www.bzpower.com/story.php?ID=7384