10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

Why all that fuzz about may the 4th? Nothing happened... The only interessting thing I've seen in Belgium (almost 6 big toy companies) was 30 % discount off the Slave 1 at 00:00 am on may the second and he was gone after 10 minutes. So LEGO and the 4th is just misleading advertisement? In belgium everybody seems to invest in LEGO since jan 2015 it's sad but in history we have seen this movement (behaviour) many times so iT is what it is. 

Edited by Harry Blokker

So LEGO and the 4th is just misleading advertisement? 

​LEGO offers a free polybag, a poster and some discount, 10%. All of these are freebies. The 10% discount is more than the much clamored 2xVIP everybody is always waiting for. I don't see any problem with this promotion.

Regarding the disappearance of DS, it still can be seen using 'search'. It is not sold out or anything. They just made it non-orderable. If it comes back tomorrow then my theory of LEGO only willing to sell limited quantities at a discount will be verified. If not, then let the forum explode.

• Like 1

I would argue that if this bad boy has really retired then that will be the biggest news in a long time!

Yeah, the original advert mentioned that it would only be available for a limited time so that fits. It has now been scratched from all the promo material but as you say can be found by searching.

Guess we have to wait and see what happens once the promo period has finished.

If the stats don´t lie then they shifted around 900 units in 3 days - pretty good figures for a set that has been out for so long and is so expensive.

• Like 2

I bought one today, but I bought it to build. The Lego Store had one in a damaged box and I asked for a discount, but they said they couldn't do it on the DS and got me a new box from the back. It didn't matter because I am building this set. Now I am thinking of going back and buying another to hold onto, but I'm skeptical. I know this set will retire soon, but being out for 8 years it has saturated the market. It is also already a very expensive set, and any increase in value can make it very unobtainable. Do you think I would be better putting that $400 into something else?

Why all that fuzz about may the 4th? Nothing happened... The only interessting thing I've seen in Belgium (almost 6 big toy companies) was 30 % discount off the Slave 1 at 00:00 am on may the second and he was gone after 10 minutes. So LEGO and the 4th is just misleading advertisement? In belgium everybody seems to invest in LEGO since jan 2015 it's sad but in history we have seen this movement (behaviour) many times so iT is what it is. 

​30% off on SW sets not fuzz enough? I bought 6 sets from shop with nice discount and ordered a few more on webshop. It's not all Slave 1 that shines. You must have missed the photoshoot at Dreamland 2PM too. It was quite a good 2nd of may for me.

IMG_20150502_140456.thumb.jpg.d66b87d108

Edited by Neosphinx

Your Han Solo costume needs a little work!

As summised before, DS is not necessarily a more hoarded set than VW T1 or Pet Shop due to the high entry price and that many think it will be around forever so have waited to reach their number. Also, more than a few sellers will have already lost patience and built or sold their stash. The sales stats show there is still demand for this set and this makes me bullish about future appreciation. A buy-in price of 350 or less should provide very decent returns after EOL.

As summised before, DS is not necessarily a more hoarded set than VW T1 or Pet Shop due to the high entry price and that many think it will be around forever so have waited to reach their number. Also, more than a few sellers will have already lost patience and built or sold their stash. The sales stats show there is still demand for this set and this makes me bullish about future appreciation. A buy-in price of 350 or less should provide very decent returns after EOL.

​Being first in line to take a picture while holding 3 superpacks, with a hole line of kids behind me was already challenging enough. And I share your thoughts on the DS. No worries for me.

It will be interesting to keep tabs on BL, Amazon and Ebay prices in Europe over the next week or so to see how the market reacts to it not being orderable at Lego Shop. A lot of B+M´s are OOS too and I would not be surprised if it goes OOS in North America as people rush to get in just in case.

Pretty smart tactics from Lego as they can sell a whole bunch of them at full retail in the US based on it selling out in the EU.

A buy in price at retail will provide decent returns......

A buy in price at retail will provide decent returns......

​Yeah, not convinced guys, sorry... With new "bigger, better" DS coming out next year, I can't see much space for growth if we are not counting QFLL. This is an AFOL set at an AFOL price, and an AFOL will go for the newest and best set. The only ray of hope I see for those who stacked it is if TLG pulls a Jabba Sail Barge or MTT on the new one, otherwise good luck guys...

It´s all a bit too stage managed to be true. Best guess is they sold the reduced price quota and want to build up demand at full price.

Suggest checking back next week when the sale is over - if there is not estimated delivery date at full price, chaos and panic shall ensue.

​Yeah, not convinced guys, sorry... With new "bigger, better" DS coming out next year, I can't see much space for growth if we are not counting QFLL. This is an AFOL set at an AFOL price, and an AFOL will go for the newest and best set. The only ray of hope I see for those who stacked it is if TLG pulls a Jabba Sail Barge or MTT on the new one, otherwise good luck guys...

​This set is one of the most unique, not likely to be duplicated sets there is.

If/when there is a new DS it will likely be a DS similar to the 10143, or one that would depict different scenes.

If the Death Star is ever refreshed, I think it will be more modular-like.  Just not sure if it will be Cloud City-like with connectors.  Shoukd be different rooms like the upcoming Throne Room scene so it's more 'affordable' compared to $399 for most parents.

Is there any confirmation that the DS will appear in Episode VII? This kind of seems like a failing idea for the Empire. I know the plans will be a centerpiece for the Rogue One films. I don't think there will be an updated DS. TLG is releasing a set based on an iconic DS scene this year. I think a bulk of next years sets will focus on Episode VII, and of course some of those ships will cross over into the OT, but I really don't see a new DS for some time after this one is retired. I'm hoping for a new Falcon with a grey haired Han Solo, of course I could make that right now with the hair from my new Admiral Yularen.

​Do you have a reference for the "bigger, better" DS coming out next year?

• Like 1

​Do you have a reference for the "bigger, better" DS coming out next year?

​Euhh, yes. Just2good said so. In a manner that lets little to be second guessed. And it's Just2good. If you have a better reference to the contrary, by all means...

​Euhh, yes. Just2good said so. In a manner that lets little to be second guessed. And it's Just2good. If you have a better reference to the contrary, by all means...

​You mean this?

Sorry.. I'm with Pacific on this one. That "official" news is a total piece of garbage. Even if it turns out to be true, that has to be the worst presented "news" or "rumor" ever. A crappy video, a post on Eurobricks, at the time it was still April fools in some countries.

Right.... I've got a bridge for sale in Florida, interested?

Hey you don't have to try to convince me gregpj, I was among the first to call him out on April Fooling on "Disney Bricks", but he was adamant. And as I said, it's Just2good, so you can put your money on it (knowing that his "source" is most probably his boss ;) ). I argued long and wide why this doesn't make absolutely no sense to me from commercial, pricing, branding and all other perspectives but it all falls down to whether you trust j2g with his funny videos and I must say that, yes, sadly I do, I'm an old hand on that forum and he's never been fooling around before.

• Like 1