10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

The "Droid Tails" posters was the back side of the Lego Star Wars posters they were giving out at Star Wars Celebration last week, one poster for each episode.

I don't think it's anything significant, other than to indicate that Droid Tails is covering the entire breadth of the SW Canon.

​LEGO merchandise repeatedly uses UCS models. The DS II and 10179 can be discovered on/in lots of official posters, games, animations, books, movies. Simply because they are the most spectacular builds. Nothing more should concluded by seeing these. They are just background pieces.

• Like 1

I imagine a new combined 2-in-1 "serious" AND "playset-style" Death Star version that - while looking realistic from the outside - can be opened up in the middle to access the scenes / levels, much like you can open the 2014 Imperial Star Destroyer 75055 for example, there this combination of 2-in-1 (display model outside + play set inside) works just fine I would say. This way you would have BOTH "philosophies" of the two released big Death Stars combined in ONE ultimate set: From the outside it would a the realistic DS model "serious" SW fans ask for (another question would be: damaged or undamaged version?), while inside it would be a great set to play with and for minifigure display. How about that?

​...one more thing right out of my crystal ball: the new 2-in-1 one would probably be an undamaged version of the DS since the damaged one already had one iteration (and collectors + TLG themselves want something new) and the new set might be based directly on or at least close to the undamaged "Rogue One" spin-off Death star before Episode IV - not only minifigure- and scenario-wise regarding the playset aspect but also in terms of the release date. Meaning the 2-in-1 DS should be introduced at the end of 2016 alongside the spin-off movie, so 10188 can retire end of 2015, leading to a 12-month breather for TLG to slowly hype up the new money maker, for collectors to save up their money - and for investors to brace themselves for a new episode of dealing with and endlessly discussing about a never-retiring Death Star set. And then, while the horde prepares for another 8+ years of waiting for EOL (by not buying too many too early), the 21D retires after 2 years... at least 10188's value isn't hurt by the new release because it forever stays the only 360 degrees DS play set. One question would still remain: If 21D would really be going to be even bigger - which sounds pretty much anavoidable for such a combined set - would people really be willing to pay MSRP $500+ for it to be as successfull as 10188?

I'm trying to understand where all these new Death Star rumors originated from.

There was the random April 1st/2nd quote on eurobricks which thebrickfan.com reported.  Do we have any other sources claiming a new Death Star is on the horizon?  BrickshowTV reported that it will retire in 1Q16.

Is there any other information I'm missing?  

There was the random April 1st/2nd quote on eurobricks which thebrickfan.com reported.  Do we have any other sources claiming a new Death Star is on the horizon?  BrickshowTV reported that it will retire in 1Q16.

​I wouldn't be shocked if a new death star was in the plans for the new movie "Rouge One", which sounds like it's heavily focused on the Death Star.  It would make sense to see a Death Star, or sets based on it.   But, I think a lot of it is mere speculation.  Im guessing May the 4th will be the tell tale sign because if it does go on sale (as some claim from rumors) then i'd suspect this speculation may be correct.  Then i'm left to speculate if the old death star will really be as great of an investment with a new and improved one just around the corner.  I'd be a little hesitant, unless of course the new one is strictly based off of the Rogue One movie, and contains mostly scenes from the upcoming film.  Then of course, the old one will retain it's value since it will contain scenes from the original, plus it is a thing of a art.  But, it would probably knock down its value a bit.  But, I agree with you.  There just seems to be a lot of speculation floating around as fact.

Once again, all i've stated here is my own speculation.

You aren't missing anything.....you know how it goes around here.

• Like 2

DS has got a sale on a lS@**** do they normally do sales on the DS? Could this be a sigh that production is finally coming to an end we must be close with all the new DS rumours around?

​FYI DS was on sale last year too with 15% in the EU. DS is the LEGO set that defies everything we know about the firm's policies and production cycles. That's why people shouldn't conclude anything based on a DS anomaly. That set lives its own life.

• Like 1

​It's had SEVEN years to burn up...

Too much smoke for there not to be a fire...

​I don't claim to have reliable sources, but my most reliable sources tell me this is "gone" by the end of this year also.

On the other hand, it is getting more difficult to figure things out with the horde acting like a starving pack of hyenas lately...

• Like 1

On the other hand, it is getting more difficult to figure things out with the horde acting like a starving pack of hyenas lately...

​Welcome to the world of investing. However this is still the peaceful land of unicorns and kitty cats compared to real time stock exchange trading or hedging. 

And where is excess profits there is competition down the road. Capitalism at its best, the so called hyenas are the guys in the end who are the most efficient. 

• Like 1

To please the conspiracy theorists, DS is the only set I can see that carries a tag warning the discount is available for a limited time only and has also been reduced from 5 to 1 per order.

Edited by valenciaeric

​Welcome to the world of investing. However this is still the peaceful land of unicorns and kitty cats compared to real time stock exchange trading or hedging. 

And where is excess profits there is competition down the road. Capitalism at its best, the so called hyenas are the guys in the end who are the most efficient. 

​Try FX Trading now that's stressful!

All I know is I had zero and now I have one and Admiral Y.  The Manager in the Lego store said this is its last year (for what that is worth) for this set.  At sometime it has to go.  It is an awesome looking set.  I was really hoping for the 10% but I did not get that in the U.S but I was looking at the B-Wing and two Skyhoppers to get Admiral Y and I decided I would just go -big.  I just don't want to miss out and not have any in the collection and I am trying to get my thoughts around exclusives and big sets.  I have been put a lot of effort in smaller sets and now I am going to try to focus on bigger more exclusive items.  (tried to get a couple of admiral Y's but the manger said "no".  I said I had to ask.

I think any new DS has to be smaller and, to tie in with a new movie, obviously not include the same iconic scenes (are the rogue squadron guys going to get stuck in a trash compactor with a giant squid monster? really?).  The other issue is pricing.  There is zero question that 10188 released today would have an MSRP of at least $500.  Pricing for 10236 and 10240 tell you all you need to know about that.  If lego also wants something cheaper, which stands to reason since $200 or less SW exclusives are far more common than $400 ones, we're looking at more like a 2000 piece DS playset for $250.  Maybe it looks enclosed on the outside, then opens up to reveal one or two scenes from the new movie.  In diameter, it would be maybe 1/2 - 2/3 of 10188.  Doesn't worry me too much, though of course I'd prefer no more lego DS ever, and maybe some scenario like with gold coins in the thirties where the government swoops in and takes everyone else's DS to melt down into sticky gray slag, leaving only my stockpile in existence...

I´m starting to have doubts if DS or Red 5 will retire before the summer as that would leave the SW range pretty threadbare - Sandcrawler would be the new flagship and with no X Wing, Falcon or SSD it would be pretty unattractive and lacking in spaceships or iconic sets. Maybe they will go when the new playsets come out in August/September.

I´m starting to have doubts if DS or Red 5 will retire before the summer as that would leave the SW range pretty threadbare - Sandcrawler would be the new flagship and with no X Wing, Falcon or SSD it would be pretty unattractive and lacking in spaceships or iconic sets. Maybe they will go when the new playsets come out in August/September.

​You might not consider Slave 1 iconic, but it most certainly is a space ship. Add to that the newly released Tie Fighter spaceship and where there was only 2 UCS ships for a long time (SSD and R5) we now have three. Going back to two isn't really that much of a stretch is it?

• Like 1