10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

do you think if i got Carrie Fisher to sign the death star it would be cool? Shes gonna be at the fan expo this weekend, and i was wondering if i should do it.

That would be cool but maybe signing the box would be better, or a minifig?!

Edit: you would need a fine tipped pen for the minifig for sure.

Edited by speedsausage

and include the picture of her signing it, that would really sell it for a big SW fan.

You would have to include the photo, that's what really authenticates the signature.

If you have jabba's palace/sail barge, I'm sure that would be a good combo too. Especially with her in the famous gold bikini!

So about these rumors that the current Death Star will retire and be replaced shortly thereafter by a new version. How would that affect the value of 10188? I can see 10188 retiring by the end of the year and then being replaced by a new version on May 2016. That would only give us a few months between 10188 and the new version.

So about these rumors that the current Death Star will retire and be replaced shortly thereafter by a new version. How would that affect the value of 10188? I can see 10188 retiring by the end of the year and then being replaced by a new version on May 2016. That would only give us a few months between 10188 and the new version.

any SW set that EOL's will hold it value.

any SW set that EOL's will hold it value.

Mm, if it's truly bigger & better, yet still a playset, I don't see how it could... Only completist would be after it (and honestly, how many of these are around?), true enthusiasts would go for better & more widely available one.

That being said, I'm not sure I'm buying that rumour yet, it doesn't make sense on so many levels...

Bigger is unlikely, the 10188 is already out of league among current releases regarding piece count. I would say they will trim it significantly to be about 3k pieces and 14-16 minifigs. Just my two cents, EP7 release might upset this trend and induce LEGO to take more risks with large SW sets. I am curious.

• Like 1

I can see Lego always having a flagship SW set current and updated every few years. SW is their most important license after all so they'll be sure to maximize their revenue from it. What can possibly be a replacement for the flagship SW set other than another Death Star?

Anyways, I think that if this were to happen, it would definitely have a negative effect on the value of the set after retirement. I don't think anyone will lose money if they're holding a few of them. I can see the set slowly creeping up to $600 after a year or two. Not exactly the return we've been hoping for. Some of us have been holding 10188 for over 6 years now.

Bigger is unlikely, the 10188 is already out of league among current releases regarding piece count. I would say they will trim it significantly to be about 3k pieces and 14-16 minifigs.

It can be as big in size thanks to Technic pieces. And have as much bricks, if you count the tons of 1x1 plates. :)

But in weight, yes, very unlikely to have a set as big.

I think it's possible to see a new set with:

- cooler minifigs (more detailed)

- both playable and displayable set (I mean, displayable because It can have some plates to close the rooms, like the DS II set)

Maybe it'll be a DS II set, meaning less rooms for display, so not arming the value of the DS that much.

BTW isn't 2016 a bit too far to give credit to such a rumor ? We're even not sure what the biggest of the SW 7 sets (2015) will be.

Edited by biniou

I do have another problem with the 2016 DS rumor.

If you check lego sets life, you'll see that once a set is retired, it makes some time to get a remake (about the same size I mean: a $10 microfighter set is not a remake of a $150 spaceship). Look at any set (sandcrawler, millennium falcon, ISD, AT-AT, etc.) and see the obvious.

So to see a new $400 DS to be released on 2016:

1 - the 10188 has to retire on spring 2015 (may 4th with a promo on it ?)

AND

2 - the new DS has to come around November 2016.

That's the very minimum space time I would say. And that would be already extremely short. I mean, shorter and you can be sure you'll see the two DS (2008 and 2016) side by side on a lot of B&M shelves.

So if the rumor is true and the 10188 stays available for some more months, maybe the new DS will be very different compared to the 10188 (twice smaller ? twice cheaper ? for display only, like the DS II ? )

Edited by biniou

I do have another problem with the 2016 DS rumor.

I think my biggest problem was that it was clearly an April fool's day joke. 

I am hearing the new Hoth playset is huge with alot of minifgures. Sounds familiar. I guess we will know this October if it is going to replace 10188.

I think my biggest problem was that it was clearly an April fool's day joke.

I am hearing the new Hoth playset is huge with alot of minifgures. Sounds familiar. I guess we will know this October if it is going to replace 10188.

Does anyone have a direct link / url to the quote / rumor?