10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

There is a difference between new releases and modifying old designs. Also corporate world doesn't work like you say. They slap the logo on it because it's theirs and it's free with new boxes. They won't force it with extra costs if they don't see extra profits from doing it.

Also fans are stupid in a sense. I was also surprised when Disney bought SW but actually it is in better hands now than it was with Lucas. There is unmistakably some stupid Disney stuff in the new movie (childish droid, teenage cast), but at least they are trying to be faithful to the core of the Star Wars universe, the beginnings. We are also seeing new stuff instead of the big fat nothing of Lucas.

I agree fully with you on Lucas point, good riddance and I agree that Disney did some really nice stuff in recent movies, take Avengers for instance.

But marketing is about subtlety. You shocked a huge fan base by purchasing Lucasfilm, and what you're doing now is reducing SW essentially to Disney princess for boys. Hocus pocus magic stuff with magic swords. SW is not that (I see the JarJar argument coming, so, no, not that either, that's why I said good riddance Lucas).

They could have taken a Lucasfilm approach, put a discreet logo on a side of the box, next to 0-3 chocking hazard warning, but, no, they purchased the bragging rights and are not beating around the bush when it comes to that. They are slapping it on the front cover, they want to ADVERTISE it as Disney, not as SW.

Translation for those who still don't get it: it's no longer a unique universe for itself with the coolest philosophy and order of warriors ever invented, it's Ariel's second cousin, twice removed.

Empire, but lacking the cool villain.

Well in any case, let's just say the possibility of a much needed refresh for the Death Star that although was a staple in the original trilogy had no place in the universe since then could happen for a few good reasons while there are an equal number of examples against such a theory. Indeed the timing of the rumor does not help even if it was from a typically reliable source plus he had posted an actual April Fool's day joke just prior but let us not get too crazy about it or at each other for the matter. We have seen odder things transpire and there is always the age old question of "why not?".

The dude over at EB that posted this nonsense is laughing at all of you right now.....just so you guys know.

well i got the half of it guys, there we "no photo" signs posted behind her. I respected those orders and did not take a photo. but here it is! this was fantastic and everyone loved the set when i pulled it outta the box waiting in line. I will keep the fan expo itinerary and my exhibitor pass with this set, at least it something to authenticate it.

5kotbo.jpg

Edited by shortyz
  • Like 9

Hey everyone, I'm brand new to this site and looking for a little advice. I've always loved Legos and I've been an avid collector-for-proffit (mostly MtG) for about 15 years. I'm thinking about dipping my toes into Lego investing and I wanted some advice. I have a line on a Lego Star Wars 10188 Death Star (obviously MiB) for ~$350. I think it's a no-brainer, but my wife is skeptical. What do you guys think? Are most collectors/investors snapping up one of these? Are there reasons to wait/avoid this set? What are your overall impressions on this set and its likelihood to appreciate in value? Any thoughts or advice would be welcome and much appreciated!

post-52666-0-30407200-1428448883.jpg

Hey everyone, I'm brand new to this site and looking for a little advice. I've always loved Legos and I've been an avid collector-for-proffit (mostly MtG) for about 15 years. I'm thinking about dipping my toes into Lego investing and I wanted some advice. I have a line on a Lego Star Wars 10188 Death Star (obviously MiB) for ~$350. I think it's a no-brainer, but my wife is skeptical. What do you guys think? Are most collectors/investors snapping up one of these? Are there reasons to wait/avoid this set? What are your overall impressions on this set and its likelihood to appreciate in value? Any thoughts or advice would be welcome and much appreciated!

attachicon.gif10188.jpg

Read this thread. All your questions will be answered. Welcome to the site.

attachicon.gif10188.jpg

Dont listen to your wife.

Read this thread. All your questions will be answered. Welcome to the site.

Thank you for pointing me in this direction, but respectfully, having my new topic shunted in with this very old one feels apathetic at best. I understand that you are trying to keep the forums tidy, but this topic was started over 3 years ago and is over 80 pages long. Most of the informative posts are no longer relevant and a lot of them are simply chitchat (which was never relevant to begin with). As I read through this thread trying to extract the useful bits, one thought persists: why hasn't this been archived?

I came to your site because it is renown for providing current and accurate information. Again, with respect, this topic contains little of either. Or if it does it's so mired in 3 years and 80 pages worth of speculation and banter that those gems of information might as well not be here at all. I urge you to consider archiving this topic for the good of the forum or, at the very least, consolidating the current useful information into a sticky for the benefit of the casual user. If nothing else I'd like to request that my topic be separated so that fresh eyes might evaluate it. Again, thank you for your time and effort. I do appreciate it.

Thank you for pointing me in this direction, but respectfully, having my new topic shunted in with this very old one feels apathetic at best. I understand that you are trying to keep the forums tidy, but this topic was started over 3 years ago and is over 80 pages long. Most of the informative posts are no longer relevant and a lot of them are simply chitchat (which was never relevant to begin with). As I read through this thread trying to extract the useful bits, one thought persists: why hasn't this been archived?

I came to your site because it is renown for providing current and accurate information. Again, with respect, this topic contains little of either. Or if it does it's so mired in 3 years and 80 pages worth of speculation and banter that those gems of information might as well not be here at all. I urge you to consider archiving this topic for the good of the forum or, at the very least, consolidating the current useful information into a sticky for the benefit of the casual user. If nothing else I'd like to request that my topic be separated so that fresh eyes might evaluate it. Again, thank you for your time and effort. I do appreciate it.

if we did this, it would make it easier for investors to get into the market. many of us spend hours reading topics that are years old to see how the speculation pans out. this is great information.

so read on, and maybe in a few weeks you can grasp which sets you should buy.

have a good one!

Edited by shortyz
  • Like 7

I'm a new investor and got everything I needed to know out of skimming this thread!

I have yet to invest in a Death Star.  It's been out so long and I can't imagine they would stop selling it until the sales cool down.  At this rate it could be many more years!

• Like 1

Just wait for your first year to be up and you will be emailed the secret password to all your answers in condensed form. There's nothing to read. All you have to do is go down the list to see which sets to buy and when. It seems harsh, l know, but a lot of people put a lot of time into these forums and don't feel it's fair for people to just join the forum on day one and know everything.

• Like 2

Today at Star Wars Celebration, there was a panel about Lego Droids (recently purchased by Disney). 

Enjoy...

"There was also a question and answer session and someone asked will the LEGO Death Star be updated. Obviously, they couldn’t answer it but Jason Cosler did say “Stay tuned for in the future, you’ll be happily surprised with what’s coming out in the future.”

http://www.thebrickfan.com/new-details-about-lego-star-wars-droid-tales/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LegoEverlasting-LegoReviewsNews+%28The+Brick+Fan+-+LEGO+Reviews+%26+News%29

Today at Star Wars Celebration, there was a panel about Lego Droids (recently purchased by Disney). 

Enjoy...

"There was also a question and answer session and someone asked will the LEGO Death Star be updated. Obviously, they couldn’t answer it but Jason Cosler did say “Stay tuned for in the future, you’ll be happily surprised with what’s coming out in the future.”

​To me it sounds like the official response to any question regarding unreleased info. You can interpret it as a new DS coming, or no new DS but something awesome. And since it is corporation, everything they release should be awesome and surprising of course. Therefore I am convinced (partly based on my experience) that this statement contains zero information.

Nevertheless I still believe that a new DS will come, but it's unrelated to any response like this: my belief is based on business logic and leaving cash on the table. One of my principles is that if you want to be successful in business believe always in the way of money not what corporate spokesmen tell you. If it's money, they will make a DS. And it is indeed. 

Edited by inversion

​To me it sounds like the official response to any question regarding unreleased info. You can interpret it as a new DS coming, or no new DS but something awesome. And since it is corporation, everything they release should be awesome and surprising of course. Therefore I am convinced (partly based on my experience) that this statement contains zero information.
Nevertheless I still believe that a new DS will come, but it's unrelated to any response like this: my belief is based on business logic and leaving cash on the table. One of my principles is that if you want to be successful in business believe always in the way of money not what corporate spokesmen tell you. If it's money, they will make a DS. And it is indeed. 

Darn.  You just squashed my vision of a revised DS set labeled 10188 Part Deux or 10188 Take II.  Thanks, man :notfair:

Now we have actual data, we can see that this set sells respectably considering its price and the fact it has been out so long. There has to be a remake if this one does retire, perhaps on a slightly smaller scale to achieve even more sales. The other option is to keep the existing model - if it ain´t broke, don´t fix it.

If a new one were made, it makes sense to gap the replacement to create demand (also consider that lego also has a responsibility to its B+M store customers and will not want to damage sales of the old ones on the shelves).

We have seen with MF, Xwing and  Tie playsets that there is always a gap. It´s like fashion - you don´t replace the miniskirt with another miniskirt, you put shorts between then go back with a sligthly different cut or style or people have no need to buy the new one when they have the old already.

• Like 1

Now we have actual data, we can see that this set sells respectably considering its price and the fact it has been out so long. There has to be a remake if this one does retire, perhaps on a slightly smaller scale to achieve even more sales. The other option is to keep the existing model - if it ain´t broke, don´t fix it.

If a new one were made, it makes sense to gap the replacement to create demand (also consider that lego also has a responsibility to its B+M store customers and will not want to damage sales of the old ones on the shelves).

We have seen with MF, Xwing and  Tie playsets that there is always a gap. It´s like fashion - you don´t replace the miniskirt with another miniskirt, you put shorts between then go back with a sligthly different cut or style or people have no need to buy the new one when they have the old already.

​Except you can't replace a Death Star with a random SW scene, not even Hoth. It's too iconic and compact. You would miss out on a large number of sales, since this is not a collector's item. It has become more generic over time. People who don't buy any other LEGO set buy this. When girls are beginning to receive this as graduation gift then you know that this is not like the other sets. 

One of my theories is that LEGO did not update this set (or retire it) because they don't want to miss out on those interim sales.This thing is selling like hotcakes. Hoth, Sandcrawler, Slave I are for nerds. If you are a casual fan you want something big, instantly recognisable, iconic that contains the core characters. Pretty much a Death Star from the OT.

Lastly, if anybody says that "but the new movies will surely contain something big that will be the next big set yadda yadda..." is a fool. It may be in 3-4 years from now on. Minimum. And for that this movie has to be REALLY good. Not just fine, not just awesome, but something so good that you want to sell your soul to watch it again. It has to be a classic in other words, on the level of the OT. That is what's required to replace the Death Star in a SW portfolio. Just a hypothetical scenario: what would generate more sales, if only one is on offering at a time: Death Star with Vader, Luke, etc. or random big ass space station with totally new characters?

• Like 3

Hoth will be the replacement for EV, I think. DS will be replaced by DS but not from one day to another -likely more than a 6 month break (EOL end of 2015, new model spring 2016, for instance). Lego know that it is better to lose a few sales during the crossover to win the war by generating interest in a new version - otherwise why on earth retire the MF, which was the bestselling set by a large margin, just before Christmas? Maybe they miscalculated their production but they have still been happy to lose out for 8 months until the new MF comes in the Autumn.