10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

on legoshop perhaps.  but I dont think TRU will be getting them back for sure.  then again I might be wrong on that too.. lol

TRU Canada has two entries in their inventory system for the death star (it has a different product UID, manufacturer # and updated weight and dimensions).

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=12168070

Limit 5.... The interesting thing is the entry that is valid has the "Only at TRU" image.

TRU Canada has two entries in their inventory system for the death star (it has a different product UID, manufacturer # and updated weight and dimensions).

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=12168070

Limit 5.... The interesting thing is the entry that is valid has the "Only at TRU" image.

wonder why TRU.com dumped all their distribution stock a few weeks ago.  wonder if that was because they didnt want to mix the new stock with the old?

I had a thought about why DS has lasted so long, to my knowledge (and a quick look on BrickLink) there isn't really any custom pieces to the set (i'm talking about actual pieces rather than common pieces but with original graphics on them) , apart from some of the minifigs. So if TLG are creating all the parts for the DS anyway for other sets why not keep churning more DS's out?

I could be completely wrong here and I'm sure someone will point it out but until one or more of the bricks stop getting made for other sets as well then I can't see the DS going anywhere.

thoughts?

I had a thought ...there isn't really any custom pieces to the set... apart from some of the minifigs. So if TLG are creating all the parts for the DS anyway for other sets why not keep churning more DS's out?

My list on brickset says there are at least two parts that are not in production for any other sets right now:

4221749 and 6022155

... still it is relatively few unique parts for a set this size.  (And I'm not too certain about the accuracy of these lists). But I don't buy into the theory of common parts / rare parts affecting product life.  If a set continues to sell well, it stays in production. If it doesn't sell well, it gets the axe.

My list on brickset says there are at least two parts that are not in production for any other sets right now:

4221749 and 6022155

... still it is relatively few unique parts for a set this size.  (And I'm not too certain about the accuracy of these lists). But I don't buy into the theory of common parts / rare parts affecting product life.  If a set continues to sell well, it stays in production. If it doesn't sell well, it gets the axe.

So all past retired sets did not sell well?

You got me. I was being too broad. There are other reasons sets are retired - not just poor sales. Okay?

Sets are not retired because they have too many unique parts.

From a pure production point of view there are 3 main phases:

1 - Injection moulding

2 - Detailing (printed bricks, minifigs)

3 - Packing

Although TLG want to cap the number of active parts at any one time their main bottleneck would be on the packing line. The DS would take multiple passes on the line so would soak up a good chunk of a packing schedule. So it's not about the parts, it would be about how this set ranks in priority against other competing sets on the packing schedule.

Keep in mind the number and volume of new SW sets required for the new movie later this year. Sep 2015 - Feb 2016 will be the biggest sales period in Lego history and Disney will be pushing (very) hard to make sure the shops have EpXII lego on the shelves.

Any current SW set may not necessarily be retired for these reasons (there are other reasons though) but it is going to be struggle for them to get on the production schedule.

• Like 2

1 - Injection moulding

3 - Packing

Although TLG want to cap the number of active parts at any one time their main bottleneck would be on the packing line. The DS would take multiple passes on the line so would soak up a good chunk of a packing schedule. So it's not about the parts, it would be about how this set ranks in priority against other competing sets on the packing schedule.

Keep in mind the number and volume of new SW sets required for the new movie later this year. Sep 2015 - Feb 2016 will be the biggest sales period in Lego history and Disney will be pushing (very) hard to make sure the shops have EpXII lego on the shelves.

Any current SW set may not necessarily be retired for these reasons (there are other reasons though) but it is going to be struggle for them to get on the production schedule.

Great post.  I agree...now, Lego isn't going to retire every old Star Wars set but I don't see a good portion of the ones out now lasting until early 2016.

Maybe this recent run of new Death Stars is a good thing...maybe it's the last big production run.

Great post.  I agree...now, Lego isn't going to retire every old Star Wars set but I don't see a good portion of the ones out now lasting until early 2016.

Maybe this recent run of new Death Stars is a good thing...maybe it's the last big production run.

one can only hope =D

• 2 weeks later...

1 - Injection moulding

3 - Packing

Wow, I missed Ep VII, VIII, IX, X, and XI?! WHAT YEAR IS IT?!

You are right I find the poll quite interesting.  For all the moaning I have seen over the last couple of years about Death Stars rotting in the closet.

We have 34 respondents with less than 5.  10 with 5 or more.  Perhaps most people have not seen the poll or there is just a lot of complainers who want it to retire and do not own many.

This set isn't hoarded that much, i believe it wasn't on the list with most hoarded sets here on brickpicker.

I'll think a lot off investors wait because of the price and the uncertainty when it will go.

Edited by rich79
  • Like 1

This set isn't hoarded that much, i believe it wasn't on the list with most hoarded sets here on brickpicker.

I'll think a lot off investors wait because of the price and the uncertainty when it will go.

Thanks rich79 do you have a link to Ed's post on the most hoarded sets list?

I need to snapshot it for my records.