10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

How do they feel about one to build now and 20 to resell later? I'm still not sure about that one. 

​If it´s to sell ten years later at 3x msrp, no issue - you are adding value to the brand. If it´s to  put them out of stock and quick flip while  they divert production to make 10k more and can´t sell them because you and your ilk have satisfied the real market demand then you are the devil incarnate and must be hammered.

Edited by valenciaeric

​If it´s to sell ten years later at 3x msrp, no issue - you are adding value to the brand. If it´s to  put them out of stock and quick flip while they make 10k more and can´t sell them because you and your ilk have satisfied the real market demand then you are the devil incarnate and must be hammered.

This is not their stance.......it might be the stance you want them to have.

How do they feel about one to build now and 20 to resell later? I'm still not sure about that one. 

​Use common sense.

If you play by their rules there is no problem. You can have your share. But if you want to start your own enterprise you will get in their way and you will get banned and stuff.  

Lego is made it perfectly clear their stance.......they don't care if you buy one to build and one to resell later so can we stop speculating about that? Anyways I don't even know why this thread is still going, both Ed's have spoken and they are the end all be all right?

​there is still a .0000001 chance it doesn't happen though.  That's good enough for me

a-chance.gif

• Like 3

​hey that's a lego version of my favorite toy my parents sold for pennies at a garage sale in the 90's - thanks mom and dad.

DSCN1854.JPG

​Wow, does that bring back memories. I used to love that thing. I remember the cardboard piece that always popped out of the slots and the foam pieces in the trash compactor. My parents gave that away sometime in the late 80's as well as about a hundred pounds of Lego.

I think they look to strike a balance. They like the idea of being able to sell  a premium product and that the secondary market show strong residuals for retired items  but the don´t like resellers playing with their supply side on current items and causing stock errors à la Exo Suit.

Can you have your cake and eat it? Probably not, so they do some things to hurt resellers and some to that help them - whether intentionally, or not.

​Huge props to you and anyone else who can see in shades of grey. The world is not black and white, folks. Investing is not black and white. Lego need not have a black or white stance on investors.

There would be a lot less arguing, nonsense, and wasted effort in the world (and these forums) if people would just realize things tend to be a little more complicated and intertwined than is convenient for us to wrap our minds around with minimal effort.

• Like 1

How's this for a shade of grey: Lego dislikes investors, but not so much they'd release a new and bigger OT DS for the same or similar MSRP just to spite us.

As an aside, I've always found it interesting that Lego does not impose hard order limits like Amazon, and nowhere in LEGO Shop at Home's terms of service does it state they do not want your business if you plan to resell their product (not last time I checked anyway, which was around the middle of last year).

The 10188 has obviously been a fantastic money maker for LEGO over the past 7 or so years and will continue to be until it retires.  Does it really matter what form the next one will take?  It will be different enough to be wanted by LEGO fans and collectors alike and the 10188 will benefit from the STAR WARS buzz over the next several years.  As I have stated many times, people should own at least one 10188.  It is a wonderful LEGO set.  It is a value.  It is fun to build and play with.  It displays well.  It could be very profitable. What else more do you want?

​im no emazers, so i only got 21 of these. i drew my line about 2 years ago on this set and unless i can get them at significant discount this is where im staying

Hi there, mates. I entirely agree, but here in Australia, RRP is AU$700, luckily, I got two sets a few weeks ago with AU$500 each, it about 30% off. Will build one for myself and sell one in future, still searching for discount ones. LOL

How's this for a shade of grey: Lego dislikes investors, but not so much they'd release a new and bigger OT DS for the same or similar MSRP just to spite us.

As an aside, I've always found it interesting that Lego does not impose hard order limits like Amazon, and nowhere in LEGO Shop at Home's terms of service does it state they do not want your business if you plan to resell their product (not last time I checked anyway, which was around the middle of last year).

​The idea that TLG would make decisions on what sets to release and how to design them solely -- or even partly -- to disrupt the secondary market and resellers is ludicrous.  TLG is a business and a very successful one...they are making decisions on what to release based on what will make them the most money.  In all likelihood, a new Death Star set would be designed to tie in with the upcoming rebel movie in which it is alleged to be a central feature.  They could keep the current DS on the market, but it wouldn't fit well into the marketing plans for the upcoming movie tie-ins.

• Like 5

​In all likelihood, a new Death Star set would be designed to tie in with the upcoming rebel movie in which it is alleged to be a central feature.  They could keep the current DS on the market, but it wouldn't fit well into the marketing plans for the upcoming movie tie-ins.

​That is not the information we have. So far we have "the same set, but bigger and better". So 10188 but with larger dimensions, slighlty different build, more play features and updated figs (and probably $499 price tag) is what I am inferring. That is what is intriguing and so Lego. It will be interesting to see how the market and resellers react when it is finally unveiled. I don't believe TLG planned it this way to screw resellers. The new DS would have been in prototype stage when 10188 was initially slated to retire a few years ago. The fact that 10188 got extended a few years due to good sales will sure make it appear that way tho.

​That is not the information we have. So far we have "the same set, but bigger and better". So 10188 but with larger dimensions, slighlty different build, more play features and updated figs (and probably $499 price tag) is what I am inferring.

​Well it's all speculation. Personally, I'd say TLG has had 7 years to work on the next DS. I'd be shocked if all they did was make the same set slightly bigger with a higher price tag. With new movies coming out that would seem to miss a great opportunity. 

IMO the new set would be done in such a way that anyone who already owns a DS would want to get the new one to replace it or at least in addition to it. After all, the primary market for a $499 DS would be the same people who already proved willing to drop $399 for a DS over the past years. If the two DSs aren't sufficiently different then you haven't refreshed your market and you'll limit sales. So it would seem logical to me their would be substantial differences. Just my guess.

• Like 1

again, it can be interpreted a lego rep MAYBE responded to a 10188 retirement question during celebration last month.

​Jais thanks for bringing this up.  Somehow my following was disconnected and I missed that message.  That is a great message that says a lot without saying anything at all.

• Like 1

If the two DSs aren't sufficiently different then you haven't refreshed your market and you'll limit sales. So it would seem logical to me their would be substantial differences. Just my guess.

​I think the differences will be as substantial as 75059 vs 10144. Any modern day set is going to be quite the improvement over what they had to work with in 2008.

Personally I cannot imagine new death star... How would it looks like? Another DS I. with open interior, but bigger? No way, the price would be more than 500 usd, which would be really much - I think 10188 is the most expensive lego set ever, and cannot imagine breaking this record with another death star.

I also cannot imagine another DS II - it would be just a remake.

My dream was authentic DS I, but closed, not open like a Barbie house (10188). The problem is that it would be a simple building - just many plates...

So I am sceptical with a new death star soon coming...

• Like 1