10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

By accidentally clicking on the link for this thread in another browser for which I am not auto-logged-in, I realized that this thread is not members only.

With the recent ongoing discussion, possible inside info, and effects this thread could have on investing strategies, shouldn't it be made members only?

Edited by MathBuilder

I´m fine with the general consensus to stay away from this set as a remake is coming soon. The more people that get that message, the better. Invest in Simpsons´ Houses and Exo Suits instead, people - they will never be remade.

• Like 2

Don't forget Speedorz.  Once Chima's done, that's it for them!

In all seriousness, remakes are a concern.  But Lego in the past has always allowed several years to elapse between retirement of a SW exclusive and its remake.  I got to sell the last of my 10144's for just under $400 before 75059 hit the shelves.  A bigger, better OT DS released basically anytime next year would make me sad, but I do not think this is going to happen.  However, if it does, I will buy one of the new bigger, better DS's myself if and only if it is, in the immortal words of the Emperor, a "fully operational battlestation".  For the $600 - $800 such a set would cost, it had better be!

I don't think that a new LEGO Death Star would make sense without at least 1-2 years break.

Why? Because LEGO cares for us investors!

Also LEGO knows that people would probably be upset if they just bought the old one only to find out that a new one is already coming out in 3 months.

I DO NOT think that LEGO wants to upset people that way.

Of course they could and probably it wouldn't even hurt that much, but I just don't see a reason not just to wait 1-2 years.

The Star Wars line is doing better than ever (I'd say) and with Star Wars Rebels and the upcoming movies there is more than enough that can be added to the new line without adding a new Death Star. Remember Ewok Village? How great is that set? I mean it has everything the death star has only that it is even better looking! If they bring out a new battle of hoth or whatsoever it will be just as great.

LEGO has the freedom to choose from so many different settings to build their playsets and to bring out newer versions of these big playsets a couple of years after retirement when people are actually craving for a new one. So why not just do that?

Also: If you buy LEGO for yourself or your kids would you rather buy the new death star for 400-800 Dollar/Euro or rather something else that might be 300-400 Dollar/Euro? I tell you something: If you've already bought the Old Death Star you probably won't buy the new one (yes collectors maybe will but they are not the main target group of LEGO!). If you didn't buy the old one... then just maybe because it was too expensive... so chances are small that you will buy the new one (because of the very same reason).

So what would you do? Bringing out a new DS or bringing out another new big set instead? I know I'd go for the second option.

On the other hand if the data is correct the first DS from 2005 and the second one from 2008 have been overlapping at least int he US for about a year. Keeping in mind that the first one didn't perform as well as the second one (which also might be why it was retired so early compared to the second one) I would try to design the already mentioned idea of a combined play-set + collectors set. (I guess people would still feel cheated if LEGO were to bring it out too early ;-) ).

• Like 1

If Lego cared about resellers they would have swapped the production life of the DS with Arctic Plane´s one.

Come on, what they care about is maximising profit and maintaining the brand and 2 years without a DS does neither.

Bet on a 4-8 month window between them to allow retailers to sell any unsold stock and creat hype for the new one.

• Like 1

If Lego cared about resellers they would have swapped the production life of the DS with Arctic Plane´s one.

Come on, what they care about is maximising profit and maintaining the brand and 2 years without a DS does neither.

Bet on a 4-8 month window between them to allow retailers to sell any unsold stock and creat hype for the new one.

​I think maximizing profit is a pretty good business plan.

Offcourse Lego wants to maximize profit. But not at all cost. They want to keep their customers happy as well. So they keep coming back buying their products. 

If they were ruthless and only caring about money they would be on the stock market already.

Yes, I agree - maximising profit and maintaining the brand (value) is what I wrote.

Their actions sometimes may favour resellers (TH, Arctic Plane) or hurt them (RI, T1) but I don´t believe they are spending too much time thinking about us when they take those decisions.

If they replace one model with another and TRU/Target/Amazon are left with 90 000 units of the old on their hands, that is probably going to cause them much more strife than a few annoyed resellers. Anyway, Emazers has already said he isn´t bothered.

Most resellers help the brand and TLG. Through their actions they

1. flush excess inventory fast
  2. create a healthy aftermarkt of used and new product which offers true credibility and value to the product
  3. help collectors
  4. enable the return from the "Dark Age"
  5. offer insightful information about the quality and value of each product sold
  6. create a vast and liquid market in all corners of the world
  7. promote the brand strongly through their shops

Some resellers have bad habits. They

1. Squeeze customers out of the market and force prices up
  2. Clean out product before 'normal' customers have time to react
  3. Buy huge quantities, therefore distort a normal life cycle of a product
  4. See lego as a money-makers, therefore lacking respect for the product's mission statement
  5. Undermine the pricing policy of TLG on Exclusives, poduct lines: over / underpricing to the frustration of TLG and its customers
  6. Overinvest, creating excess Supply in the future and excerbate the risk of a bubble and boom-bust for TLG

So all in all, if resellers follow a good code of conduct, there shouldn't be a problem. Banning the "bad elements" is only normal. 

And with time, TLG will control better this indirect supply chain too, therefore flushing out that "tricky" behavious. 

For me, the net balance of resellers in very positive for TLG. It's only a minority that bothers them I think. 

regards

• Like 7

2. create a healthy aftermarkt of used and new product which offers true credibility and value to the product
  3. help collectors
  5. offer insightful information about the quality and value of each product sold

4. See lego as a money-makers, therefore lacking respect for the product's mission statement
  5. Undermine the pricing policy of TLG on Exclusives, poduct lines: over / underpricing to the frustration of TLG and its customers
  6. Overinvest, creating excess Supply in the future and excerbate the risk of a bubble and boom-bust for TLG

So all in all, if resellers follow a good code of conduct, there shouldn't be a problem. Banning the "bad elements" is only normal. 

And with time, TLG will control better this indirect supply chain too, therefore flushing out that "tricky" behavious. 

For me, the net balance of resellers in very positive for TLG. It's only a minority that bothers them I think. 

regards

​Although we had a little quarrel in the past...

I cannot agree with and like this post enough. Respect!

• Like 1

3. help collectors

regards

Some Most resellers have bad habits. They..............

• Like 1

Ok let try this one again........... a Lego set with a 600 dollar MSRP?  Yeah ok!!!

​A $600 random LEGO set... what???

A $600 LEGO DS? Kind of understandable for a flagship. I mean, the current one is $400 and selling like hotcakes. If the company ups the size and piece count I can imagine this scenario. Lots of companies have outrageously expensive status symbol high end products. For LEGO it is the DS since 2008. Taking it one step further would not be actually such a bad idea if it turns out to be awesome. They can feature it in every kind of commercials and product placement and there are the new movies driving the craze. Even if people don'T buy it they will be talking about it. And then buy it. 

However personally I am still on the side of a $300 castrated DS as the more likely scenario.

• Like 2

However personally I am still on the side of a $300 castrated DS as the more likely scenario.

If the LEGO guy just2good has been talking to was from the marketing department, stating a "bigger and better" new DS was coming would be totally natural for a marketing guy even if the final products was in fact smaller and inferior... So I would not totally exclude the possibility of a smaller DS.

• Like 1

If the LEGO guy just2good has been talking to was from the marketing department, stating a "bigger and better" new DS was coming would be totally natural for a marketing guy even if the final products was in fact smaller and inferior... So I would not totally exclude the possibility of a smaller DS.

​Maybe a Death Star keychain?

• Like 1