Bricklink/BrickOwl - Discussion, questions, & answers

So here's a bricklink/brick owl question:

I'm all set up with bricksync and all systems seem to be running, but while I've built up my piece count to over 15,000 and I get a bricklink order every other day or so (actually they seem to come in waves, over the weekend I had four, today though, nothing) anyway, I haven't seen an order from brick owl in a month. What am I missing?

To be fair, I've hardly paid attention to the brick owl store. Once I got comfortable with bricklink, I started doing everything there.

Thanks!

It's so many variables it's hard to pinpoint one. Marketing, foot traffic with the site, your quantity, your variety, etc. I do enjoy bl notify tool, not sure of brick owl but I have a strategy that I think helps bring business

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

Stripe is another method for taking payment, like paypal.

My store is HallsofBrick, but I think I just figured out my basic problem. I never set up shipping bands, so everything is on quote system like BL. I think when buyers are using a site for simplicity, that extra step is a deal breaker.

Yea. Love stripe. Completed integrated. When I mark the order shipped in BO it deposits the money into my checking (weekly I think, not sure).

Low fee, automatic. If I was a buyer I'd love to not be forced to use paypal.

I get maybe 1/4 of the orders on BO that use stripe.

Is that something bl offers? Or just brickowl?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

I'll have to prioritize that task for tomorrow. I just checked and there have been over 1,500 views of Bo store compared to 336 on BL. If they had an equal conversion rate, I'd have almost five times my current business...

My store is HallsofBrick, but I think I just figured out my basic problem. I never set up shipping bands, so everything is on quote system like BL. I think when buyers are using a site for simplicity, that extra step is a deal breaker.

Being able to see the shipping rate is absolutely essential to get the best value when placing an order. You need to set up your shipping methods.

This week, as an experiment, I limited my international shipping methods (outside Canada and U.S.) to request a quote above $100, so that I could decide myself if the buyer requires tracking or not. Here's the proof that buyers don't like having to request quotes: I have received 3 international orders between $97 and $99!

Guest betsy805

For those that used brick sync to move bricklink inventory to Brick Owl.....is the program something that a decidedly NON technical person could keep up with?  Brick Sync lost me completely, but if I am able to power through it, is that all there is?  Or do I have to maintain something in order to keep the inventory sync'd?

For those that used brick sync to move bricklink inventory to Brick Owl.....is the program something that a decidedly NON technical person could keep up with?  Brick Sync lost me completely, but if I am able to power through it, is that all there is?  Or do I have to maintain something in order to keep the inventory sync'd?

Very easy to use.   You need help just shout.

The app developer is on here as well and friendly.

I actually tossed around the idea of selling a service of hosting and managing bricksync for folks.  Just not sure there is much demand.

And it is rather easy to use.

For those that used brick sync to move bricklink inventory to Brick Owl.....is the program something that a decidedly NON technical person could keep up with? Brick Sync lost me completely, but if I am able to power through it, is that all there is? Or do I have to maintain something in order to keep the inventory sync'd?

It intimidated me at first but once you figure it out it's pretty simple. I suggest after you start using it you keep it running all the time. I was just running it after I got orders to sync it all up but then I got to orders for the same part while I was asleep. Someone get a little mad when I told them they were gone and rightfully so.

Being able to see the shipping rate is absolutely essential to get the best value when placing an order. You need to set up your shipping methods.

This week, as an experiment, I limited my international shipping methods (outside Canada and U.S.) to request a quote above $100, so that I could decide myself if the buyer requires tracking or not. Here's the proof that buyers don't like having to request quotes: I have received 3 international orders between $97 and $99!

What are you using for your international shipping bands? Right now I have international setup as request quote. Also have you had any trouble shipping international bubble mailers as flat envelope if they are over .75" thick?

Guest betsy805

Very easy to use.   You need help just shout.

The app developer is on here as well and friendly.

I actually tossed around the idea of selling a service of hosting and managing bricksync for folks.  Just not sure there is much demand.

And it is rather easy to use.

Alright....kids are down and I'm ready to try again.  I guess the first question would be: How do I figure out my bricklink and brickowl API?  I've got the BO account set up and I've downloaded the bricksync program.  I'm assuming that I type whatever it is in between the quotation marks in the text marked "consumer key"?

Guest betsy805

Alright....kids are down and I'm ready to try again.  I guess the first question would be: How do I figure out my bricklink and brickowl API?  I've got the BO account set up and I've downloaded the bricksync program.  I'm assuming that I type whatever it is in between the quotation marks in the text marked "consumer key"?

Wait....I might have a Brickowl api, I just found the tab to generate one.

EDIT: I did something.  Time will tell if I just royally screwed myself over or if I did this correctly, but I see lots of green and white words on bricksync.  :derisive:   

Edited by betsy805

Alright....kids are down and I'm ready to try again.  I guess the first question would be: How do I figure out my bricklink and brickowl API?

#1 Register for BrickLink's API, make sure to put 0.0.0.0 for both the IP and IP mask (unless your IP is static) : http://api.bricklink.com/pages/api/welcome.page

#2 Copy/paste the 4 strings of text where indicated in BrickSync's configuration file, between the quotation marks

#3 Register for BrickOwl's API, from the tab in your profile

#4 Copy/paste the BrickOwl API key where indicated in BrickSync's configuration file

#5 Done! Run BrickSync

Actually, when you reach that point, make sure to read the quick tips:

http://www.bricksync.net/#tips

If you want to keep editing your existing inventory on BrickLink, each time you'll have to:

#1 Type the command "blmaster on" in BrickSync

#2 Edit your inventory on BrickLink as much as your heart desires

#3 Type the command "blmaster off", and everything synchronizes

• Like 1

Hello, I just have a quick question about parting out a set. Is the Part Out Value in the price guide very accurate. I am contemplating starting to part out but I have no clue what a set is worth.

Bricklink's part out value is based on parts that have sold in the last 6 months or parts that are currently for sale. That means that it is only accurate if you part out a set with parts whose value hasn't changed much over the past six months. New parts or parts in new colors usually start with high prices and they usually drop wuickly when more sellers start selling those parts (or minifigs). That means that especially new sets often have an inflated part out value. For older sets the part out value is more reliable, but even those sets often contain some parts with high supply and low demand. That means that you probably won't sell all parts at the 6-month average unless you are willing to sit on some parts for a long time. Of course there are also parts that have high demand an low supply. Those parts can easily sell above the average.

Of course there are also other factors that influence your orders such as your feedback history and the total size of your inventory (both number of lots and size of each lot).

Guest betsy805

#1 Register for BrickLink's API, make sure to put 0.0.0.0 for both the IP and IP mask (unless your IP is static) : http://api.bricklink.com/pages/api/welcome.page

#2 Copy/paste the 4 strings of text where indicated in BrickSync's configuration file, between the quotation marks

#3 Register for BrickOwl's API, from the tab in your profile

#4 Copy/paste the BrickOwl API key where indicated in BrickSync's configuration file

#5 Done! Run BrickSync

Actually, when you reach that point, make sure to read the quick tips:

http://www.bricksync.net/#tips

If you want to keep editing your existing inventory on BrickLink, each time you'll have to:

#1 Type the command "blmaster on" in BrickSync

#2 Edit your inventory on BrickLink as much as your heart desires

#3 Type the command "blmaster off", and everything synchronizes

This is great, thank you!  Got it all set up and then got the first class shipping bands set up and within 10 minutes had my first order.  Now in BL, you can edit an order if you make a mistake on your inventory.....I'm a little worried about how that works with BO.  Has anybody made an inventory mistake and had someone order something you don't have the exact quantity for?  Do you just send a refund since it's paid for before you can pull the order?

EDIT: Thankfully there is no mistake on this first order (that would be terrible!) but I'm just thinking in the future.  

Edited by betsy805

Alright I am setting up my store terms and everything and I have a question for you guys. Would it ruin my chance of a small start up if I charged $1 additional per order to cover shipping materials, PayPal (More for lower sales), and printing ink? I am torn over this because I don't want to put a minimum buy but I will lose money if I am filling <$1 orders.

Alright I am setting up my store terms and everything and I have a question for you guys. Would it ruin my chance of a small start up if I charged $1 additional per order to cover shipping materials, PayPal (More for lower sales), and printing ink? I am torn over this because I don't want to put a minimum buy but I will lose money if I am filling <$1 orders.

Don't mention paypal as being a reason for additional charge. That is against paypal's TOS for USA sellers.

• Like 2

People mention all the time that they charge a handlng fee on orders.  It annoys me to know end, but never seems to keep me from using a store for parts.

I'm more interested in a fair price for a particular part, as long as it's a reasonable handling fee - e.***., if a particular part if 50 cents from you, and the average price is 10 cents, I'm less likely to order that part from you.  But, if you're charging $1 or $2 for a handling fee, I'm more likely to order from you.

Yes, I realize that's counter-intuitive, and now that I've written that out, I'm going to have to reexamine how I'm buying stuff.  lol

• Like 3