Bricklink/BrickOwl - Discussion, questions, & answers

Anyone care to show some pics of your bricklink storage area/sorting tables/drawers. I'm really interested to see what it looks like at a big time bricklinkers work area.

A lot of these guys are on YouTube. There is a good community of Bricklinkers on there. Most of them have at least one video with a tour of their workspace. PM me and I can provide some specific channel names.

Anyone care to show some pics of your bricklink storage area/sorting tables/drawers. I'm really interested to see what it looks like at a big time bricklinkers work area.

post-34786-14263815040813_thumb.jpg

Not the best pick, but this shows the main part of our main wall with stack on cabinets...

• Like 5

Amazing that you only have that many in store. You must have plenty of sales weekly. Thanks for sharing

It took awhile to get over 100k in parts, but in January we parted 42 of the CTs and then inventory and sales jumped. Since then we've been parting x10, x15, x20 of any clearance set we can find that has a part value >3x cost.

It's been nice since my "day job" is busiest in Nov/Dec and July/August. The Lego parts business nestles between the two nicely.

I plan to do the same with my stack of CT's. But was wavering with selling a few more (I sold a handful already) straightup.

So the parts sold well I assume and fed orders for other parts?

My strategy on buying is the same. 3x is an automatic buy if I can find them in quantities 5x or 10x.

With the CT's you parted out where'd you store those pieces - I assume none of the stackon drawers were large enough to accommodate most because of the large volume.

The CT parts fed a bunch of orders, including some 25# orders to Australia ($194 PM Express shipping no less).

All the basic bricks sold very well, especially in larger quantities. We needed to bag them in quart and gallon ziplocks (buy the freezer ones...trust me on that). Those bags went into four 66 qt plastic tubs. When the quantity on hand got low enough for a big drawer, we just relocate them. Most of our buyers just bought all we had of certain bricks.

Here is what I use for a basic sorting system: $1.99 trays from IKEA with extra small and large drawers from the Stack Ons. I bought 30 of the various Stack On cabinets off Craigslist from a cell phone repair company to go with the others we buy from AMZ, KM, or whoever is cheapest at the moment.

And yes, I'm parting out 48 Glomps from S3 Mixels. Leftovers from the Merry Meijer Mixel fest over the holidays. At <$1 each I was willing to part them out.

post-34786-14264248858868_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hey bricklink folks-

So, I got some 40121 sets and think they're worth parting out. Since it still hasn't been added to the inventory, but seems to still be reserved, how do I go about doing this manually? I'd like to try adding it to the catalog, but can't because it's reserved. I'm interested in doing this, but want to try a small set to try it out.

If not catalog, how about parting manually? I want to add the parts, but when I try using the part numbers listed, well, it's not going well. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Hey bricklink folks-

So, I got some 40121 sets and think they're worth parting out. Since it still hasn't been added to the inventory, but seems to still be reserved, how do I go about doing this manually? I'd like to try adding it to the catalog, but can't because it's reserved. I'm interested in doing this, but want to try a small set to try it out.

If not catalog, how about parting manually? I want to add the parts, but when I try using the part numbers listed, well, it's not going well. What am I missing?

Thanks!

I can't really help you much but I do know that Lego part numbers do not match bricklink part numbers.

Hey bricklink folks-

Thanks!

"Reserved" means that someone is working on the inventory and it should be posted soon.  If you want to enter parts manually you need to hunt for them in the BL menus, know what approximately they are and type in a description in the catalog search or find the number that is printed on the part, which is what BL uses.

Thanks for the responses, I figured out how the reserve system works, but it's just been "reserved" for at least ten days, no one has completed it. The alternative does not sound worth the time...

Thanks!

Maybe a little more fun... What, if anything, are you ordering from shop at home for parting out? I know many people won't even touch something unless it's 30% or more, but I don't really get good deals around here, so double points on exclusives is still kind of a big deal for me. :)

Thanks for the responses, I figured out how the reserve system works, but it's just been "reserved" for at least ten days, no one has completed it. The alternative does not sound worth the time...

Thanks!

Maybe a little more fun... What, if anything, are you ordering from shop at home for parting out? I know many people won't even touch something unless it's 30% or more, but I don't really get good deals around here, so double points on exclusives is still kind of a big deal for me. :)

Some of the exclusives are good parting out right now. Use this link to compare and figure out what is worth it for you.  http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on organization solutions for Lego pieces that are inexpensive/affordable.  Plastic storage organizers such as

Stack-On: www.stack-on.com/categories/drawer-cabinets/products/165

Akro-Mils: www.akro-mils.com/Products/Types/Cabinets-Racks-Shelving-Panels/Plastic-Cabinets

they can get pretty expensive if you need a lot of them.

I do like the enclosed little bins as to avoid dusts.

thanks for any tips

If when setting up a large storage facility you can save allot of money if you just buy the replacement drawers only in bulk without the prepackaged for retail enclosures, & build your own shelving to custom accommodate the drawers in whatever space you have available with simple 9.5mm plywood stock from the "borg"...   (Big Orange Retail Giant ie: Home depot).

I've been selling down my part inventory (from about 400k to about 80k) over the last couple of years to focus more on sets, but here is how I keep my parts sorted and stored.  I add just a bit of labor to the initial sort by bagging everything rather than throwing parts into bins, but it saves a bit when pulling orders (especially when buyers purchase full lots) and really allows for dense storage.  It's also a really cheap storage solution - just bags, $1 stackable tubs from IKEA, a few cheap drawers, and some Plano cases for the really small items.  I've also just used boxes along the way...

I store the bin/case in remarks which is granular enough to get me quickly to the lot.

bp_1426604285__bl2.jpg

bp_1426603867__bl1.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I just noticed that the My Shipping Methods page in the Store Settings has been updated. Anyone take a stab at this yet?

Looks like existing methods default to "Do Not Use Rate Chart."

Glad this upgrade has finally happened. Got work to do now...

Edited by minicoopers11

I guess you could consider it accurate but it is a moving average so it is always changing and it reflects selling of 100% of the parts in the set, this isn't something that happens overnight so while it shows the potential of a set and can be used when determining if a set should be parted it doesn't reflect an expected return in the short term, in my opinion.

Don't just use part out value.

Ideally, get brickstock, learn it (by messing around in it) and try parting out sets to see not only what the pieces are worth as a whole, but which individual pieces are valuable and how well they've been selling.

Alternatively part it on bricklink but don't upload. That way you can get a total value and at least know what your difference is in terms of figs vs parts.

Don't just use part out value.

Ideally, get brickstock, learn it (by messing around in it) and try parting out sets to see not only what the pieces are worth as a whole, but which individual pieces are valuable and how well they've been selling.

Alternatively part it on bricklink but don't upload. That way you can get a total value and at least know what your difference is in terms of figs vs parts.

Is Brickstock the downloadable software? What exactly does it do? Thanks