Bricklink/BrickOwl - Discussion, questions, & answers

How do you typically ship international orders? I haven't found any way on PayPal to send items first class international? So I have to deal with people at my local post office. Not fun.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

usps.com 2 oz cost $6.16. So much better than hand writing the custom form also.

usps.com 2 oz cost $6.16. So much better than hand writing the custom form also.

Hmm. I can never get the website to allow me to check out for domestic packages and haven't tried anything international for whatever reason. I have always stayed away from customer support to see why the transaction has been declined. Guess I'll have to make time for that.

If you have enough order volume, check out endicia.com. Their application is awesome, you get commercial base prices on all mail classes, and can automate the customs form. It also allows you to add 3rd party insurance to an order if you need to. Far superior to USPS insurance.

To be more specific:

Endicia has a built in "listener" that you can send it all of the shipping details and it will populate a label.  We wrote a custom "order manager" page that uses the BL&BO APIs to read the open orders.  It has a "ship me" link that when you click it populates Endicia, and brings focus to the Endicia window.  Obviously the name & address, but also the order number, mail class, and weight are all populated.  The only thing that it can't fully automate is filling in the customs form, although it will save your last values, so all you have to change is the weight and amount.  So the workflow is physically package the order, click "ship me" then click "print" in Endicia.  Endicia also auto-copies the tracking number into the clipboard, so you go back to the browser, click "paste" and "mark packed" and it updates the tracking back into BL/BO.  

We also read in Amazon and eBay orders as well.  Got about 95% of our workflow in this app.  I'll try to post a screen shot tomorrow - I have to blur the buyer info it shows.

How do you typically ship international orders? I haven't found any way on PayPal to send items first class international? So I have to deal with people at my local post office. Not fun.

You can do first class international packages on usps.com. Free scheduled pickups or drop off like Priority and domestic first class.

Are you guys having more success selling complete minifigures or parting them out?

Is anyone having any success selling duplo? seems like a pain to ship but might be money to make there, I can by large used lots pretty cheap.

Also,  been using the dymo 4xl for a about a week now. that thing is awesome, I really appreciate the suggestion.

Are you guys having more success selling complete minifigures or parting them out?

Is anyone having any success selling duplo? seems like a pain to ship but might be money to make there, I can by large used lots pretty cheap.

Also, been using the dymo 4xl for a about a week now. that thing is awesome, I really appreciate the suggestion.

Define what you mean as a complete minifigure.

In my experience, figures with recognizable character names sell better as whole figures (main Star Wars characters, LOTR, super heroes, etc.) because non-AFOLs will search for them.  For everything else, we part them out.

There is a niche market for Duplo, but its small.  Some builders look for cheap Duplo bricks to use as internal structure in large builds.

Any BrickOwl experts -  tips to get Stripe to work ?

I have it enabled in BO, I've checked and made sure the api's are right, enabled in stripe, etc.

But Ccard doesn't show as an option on checkout in BO - just paypal.

Answering my own dumbness - I had no countries selected in the BO settings.

Thought those were exceptions not to accept,  not a whitelist.

I've used Bricksync and BO for about a month now - my BO orders are at least 4x my bricklink.

In my experience, figures with recognizable character names sell better as whole figures (main Star Wars characters, LOTR, super heroes, etc.) because non-AFOLs will search for them.  For everything else, we part them out...

^ Ditto on this ^

However, I do also part out the character minifigures if more than one key piece has a blemish or issue.    For example:  I regularly find that one or both arms crack from the wrist to elbow (so I state it in the description).  But if I also find another serious issue (like a cracked neck, or bite marks, etc.) then I'm more comfortable parting it out than having to price the whole fig. dirt cheap.

up until now i have been parting out new sets or assembling used sets and parting them out so its been easy to add inventory, pick the set, select new or used, make sure you have all the parts and add it. I have probably 50 lbs of used bricks i have been buying off craigslist. Whats the most efficient way to add them by part and color and then just look up each part number, pick the color and quantity? Seems like it is going to take a tong while 

^ Ditto on this ^

However, I do also part out the character minifigures if more than one key piece has a blemish or issue.    For example:  I regularly find that one or both arms crack from the wrist to elbow (so I state it in the description).  But if I also find another serious issue (like a cracked neck, or bite marks, etc.) then I'm more comfortable parting it out than having to price the whole fig. dirt cheap.

So long as there's no printing on them why not just switch the arms?

No they stay. You can go in and delete them or just make another list I think. You know how to short by shop to help reduce the number of places you order from and make it quicker to find that seller?

I move them to a list I have for purchased elements of the set I am BL. This way if the seller doesn't have the amount I ordered I can move them back to my wanted list. But I am new to BL hopefully one of the PROs can give us some better tips.

• Like 1