Bricklink/BrickOwl - Discussion, questions, & answers

Where are you guys finding the best price on stack ons? Kmart seems to be the cheapest i have found but the supply is limited so its a lot of small online orders and driving far for store pickups. With SYW points they have been about $15.50 each. I was hoping to find a place with more quantity, i wanted to start with 36 of them and at this rate its going to take months unless i spend twice as much on Amazon or ebay. 

Where are you guys finding the best price on stack ons? Kmart seems to be the cheapest i have found but the supply is limited so its a lot of small online orders and driving far for store pickups. With SYW points they have been about $15.50 each. I was hoping to find a place with more quantity, i wanted to start with 36 of them and at this rate its going to take months unless i spend twice as much on Amazon or ebay.

Amazon fired some off about 3months ago, got the 18 drawer for $11. I'm waiting for another round to get some more. $15 isn't bad but that would require going into a kmart. I'll wait for Amazon.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

I feel like a need a shower after a kmart visit. Though now it appears they have a service where they will bring your online order out to your car when you pickup. They would probably screw it up but i wouldnt have to go inside. I would much rather order from amazon if they get that cheap again. I think i remember that sale of course it was before i started doing this and i didnt care about it at the time. 

I feel like a need a shower after a kmart visit. Though now it appears they have a service where they will bring your online order out to your car when you pickup. They would probably screw it up but i wouldnt have to go inside. I would much rather order from amazon if they get that cheap again. I think i remember that sale of course it was before i started doing this and i didnt care about it at the time.

Agreed, I bought 5 to start out. 12k pieces and its not enough. Anything from 11-15 is a good price. They pay for themselves in just a few orders by saving time and sanity.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

mills fleet farm had them online for a while on sale last year.  check to see if they still sell them.

Home depot cleared them out here last year as well and had them on sale from 10 bucks to 15

amazon as well every once in a while will have a warehouse deal or lower the price.

Looks like home depot doesn't stock stackons anymore at all.

Thanks for this tip, they have the 18's which i still need 10 of, now i just need to find a free shipping code. 

I got into BrickLink for 6 months or so, no idea how you guys do it. 

I have a pretty big chunk of inventory and sorting drawers that I am going to need to get out of my house, any recommendations on doing this? not sure if BrickClassifieds are a proper place to list. Thinking about just selling them by the pound on eBay, but not sure that's the best way to do it.

Edited by Dbroncoboy

I got into BrickLink for 6 months or so, no idea how you guys do it. 

I have a pretty big chunk of inventory and sorting drawers that I am going to need to get out of my house, any recommendations on doing this? not sure if BrickClassifieds are a proper place to list. Thinking about just selling them by the pound on eBay, but not sure that's the best way to do it.

You can sell big lots on BL itself and advertise in the forums, but overall I'd agree that eBay's going to be quickest and easiest. 

Sorry it didn't work out for you -- I think it takes a certain kind of temperament to do anything (including investing in whole sets, selling parts, washing cars... ;) ) ... good to give things a try, but if you don't enjoy it, you're right to move on to making money at something you like better.

I had a couple brickstock questions I was hoping someone could help me with. 1) how do you setup print templates so that I can print a list and have it show the remarks column. 2) how do I edit remarks in brickstock and then upload to brinklink. I tried to do the update paste option but it wouldn't recognize any changes.

You can sell big lots on BL itself and advertise in the forums, but overall I'd agree that eBay's going to be quickest and easiest.

Sorry it didn't work out for you -- I think it takes a certain kind of temperament to do anything (including investing in whole sets, selling parts, washing cars... ;) ) ... good to give things a try, but if you don't enjoy it, you're right to move on to making money at something you like better.

Thanks. I love the big sets. The piece by piece just killed me. With a full time job+flipping/investing it just didn't work into my schedule.

I'm going to give ebay and brick classifieds both a try. Thanks for the input :-)

Guest betsy805

It's definitely not for everyone.  I find it cathartic sorting/organizing, and preparing orders for bricklink (not sure what that says about me). 

Thanks. I love the big sets. The piece by piece just killed me. With a full time job+flipping/investing it just didn't work into my schedule.

Parting out gets tiresome, but there are ways to make it "fun". Generally, we gather a few friends to process some 20000 parts in a day, while chatting and listening to music (along with a small incentive of 0.02 CAD per part). And I'm not the one packing orders either :), I just do the software and verification.

2) how do I edit remarks in brickstock and then upload to brinklink. I tried to do the update paste option but it wouldn't recognize any changes.

I never used BrickStock to perform that specific task, but I believe you can export BrickLink update XML to copy/paste to BrickLink's "XML update" form. Or if using BrickSync, "loadnotes MyFileWithNewRemarks.bsx".

I'm going to give ebay and brick classifieds both a try. Thanks for the input :-)

It does suck in many ways.

I think you might get more money by selling the store as a whole if you have a good bit of pieces already organized.

At least in my opinion I'd always consider buy stock from someone that already had stuff parted and organized, etc

You may post the entire store for sale on BL including organizers.

Hi bricklinkers, is there a way to find sellers by City?  I know I can search by States.  

I'm in Los Angeles and am really hoping there are some sellers around my area that I can just drive over to pick up instead of paying SH.  I'm tired of shipping cost.

Hi folks,

I started selling parts about a month ago. I was initially buying sets, but got in a little over my head and realized I needed to start selling. Well, once I realized how much more I could make by spending the time to part out, I decided to try it.

Things have been going ok, but right now I've got just over 12,000 pieces, which I know is still pretty small, but where I was getting pretty regular with orders, it's been nothing for a week. I've uploaded some new parts in that time, but it just seems like nothing's going on...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

that's a tough one. not a bad sale so its tempting. I generally only ship to the paypal address, I think that offers additional protection.

side note: you might want to look at shipping international, its not had and I would say at least 35% of my sales goes overseas.

We currently ship only to the US. I had someone contact me from the UK asking me if I would ship to their sister's address in Florida because they were visiting there in a few weeks. Should I avoid this transaction? Its only a $80 sale.

Ask them to add the new address to their paypal account and then ship away.

Ex Astris, Scientia.

All prices in US funds.

• Like 1

Things have been going ok, but right now I've got just over 12,000 pieces, which I know is still pretty small, but where I was getting pretty regular with orders, it's been nothing for a week. I've uploaded some new parts in that time, but it just seems like nothing's going on...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I find that orders seem to come in waves.   I'll upload a bunch of parts to inventory, then there's crickets for a few days until a few orders come in.   I'm also at a very low quantity of parts (around 1500) which doesn't help.

* So I have recently learned that having a "loss leader" on a bulk quantity of common used bricks seems to generate orders for a variety of stuff.   I uploaded simple parts (like 1x2 and 1x4 bricks) in various colors with the bulk buy set at the whole quantity (usually 120 to 150 pieces) at $.01 each.  They stuck around for two days at most, and people added on a bunch of other parts in the process.

Edited by Victorymike18

We currently ship only to the US. I had someone contact me from the UK asking me if I would ship to their sister's address in Florida because they were visiting there in a few weeks.  Should I avoid this transaction?  Its only a $80 sale.

I would go through with the transaction. I would also start shipping international. ;)

What's his feedback/status on BL - new users ?  old users, etc.   I realize it could be a hijacked account and such but if it checks out I'd ship for an order under $100.

Decent feedback, no red flags there.  A quick google search revealed that he is a partner for a firm that specializes in consulting services for international trade, and customs fraud among other things.  I though that was interesting.

And as I'm typing this someone from Oregon just bought the item (Quinjet).  I guess that made my decision easier.