Walmart Canada Sales and Clearance

gravtation

This morning I received my UCS Tie Fighter from walmart.ca. Unfortunately, despite the fact they shipped in the Lego brown shipping box and slapping "fragile" stickers all over the box it still got crushed abit. Had they placed some of those air bags inside it likely would have survived.

Any chance I can contact Walmart for a partial refund on the set? I did buy this for my personal collection and will probably build it sometime next year, but having a crushed box is disappointing....

6 minutes ago, eliminator said:

This morning I received my UCS Tie Fighter from walmart.ca. Unfortunately, despite the fact they shipped in the Lego brown shipping box and slapping "fragile" stickers all over the box it still got crushed abit. Had they placed some of those air bags inside it likely would have survived.

Any chance I can contact Walmart for a partial refund on the set? I did buy this for my personal collection and will probably build it sometime next year, but having a crushed box is disappointing....

YMMV, but every time i've complained about damaged boxes they just told me to return it :(

21116 Crafting Box at 33% off. Anyone got positive or negative comments on this? I don't really have any Minecraft sets, so I don't follow the theme very closely. At 33% I'm sort of interested, but current sold listings on eBay aren't giving me tons of faith. Sold out on LEGO Shop at Home.... retiring soon? Curious to hear any feedback.

5 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

21116 Crafting Box at 33% off. Anyone got positive or negative comments on this? I don't really have any Minecraft sets, so I don't follow the theme very closely. At 33% I'm sort of interested, but current sold listings on eBay aren't giving me tons of faith. Sold out on LEGO Shop at Home.... retiring soon? Curious to hear any feedback.

I don't see it being all that desirable once retired honestly. Many of the Minecraft sets don't seem like anything special.

It's a nice gift but it seemed to be the least interesting and desirable set when the shortages occurred except for the ender dragon that couldn't be given away. 33% off isn't enough of a discount for me to buy any.

5 minutes ago, Bluebird55 said:

Thinking of buying a couple of these myself, just starting out, how long should I wait before selling them? They're already selling for $60 on eBay. Also, are these any other tips/good sets to start out with you could recommend? 

How long should you wait? Really just depends on the return you want, i'd probably wait a few months and monitor it's progress. Worst case scenario you will probably make a bit on it if you have to sell though. I'm personally not sure what the lure of this set is/will be, and am still debating if i should pick some up.

As for other sets to pick up right now.. Take a look at local Canadian Tires and see what you can find at %20 off. Scooby Doo sets are heading out the door, Mystery Machine and Mystery Mansion would be good choices, as would some of the Jurassic World sets. A good pickup right now would probably be Obi-Wan's Jedi Interceptor if you can find any.

Anyways just a few tips, there is lots of advice on this stuff in other threads.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bluebird55 said:

Thinking of buying a couple of these myself, just starting out, how long should I wait before selling them? They're already selling for $60 on eBay. Also, are these any other tips/good sets to start out with you could recommend? 

To add a couple ideas to Sandwraith's comments... 

When starting out, I found the advice that it's a good idea to first guide yourself to sets you like was useful. Look at sets you think are entertaining and would like to build yourself... Then do your quick research on the set, like checking sold listings on ebay, and 6 month selling average (quantities and prices) over on Bricklink to gauge your investment's potential.  Then, even if it doesn't perform as well as you'd like, you can always just build it for personal enjoyment.

Next thing is to find the best discount you can, as buy-in is everything in this game. However, by weighing the results from your research, you can decide what profit margin, and therefore what percentage discount is acceptable for a given set. For example, I'm currently buying in to Scooby and Jurassic at 20% off, but I'm only grabbing City at 50%. Also, if you've never sold before, you need to figure out your selling price before all the transaction fees are factored in. $60 sales for a $33.50 purchase looks really nice on paper, but once you factor everything in you're not making a ton on that transaction. 

In regards to how long to hold for, I find the best approach is to have a realistic selling price in mind before you purchase the set (based on your previous research). Once retirement and appreciation starts, you ride it as long as it takes to hit your magic number, then start selling them to keep your funds rolling. If you see they're trending up steeply you adjust the rate you're selling at to maximize profits, but keeping in mind anything over your magic number is gravy. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sandwraith said:

How long should you wait? Really just depends on the return you want, i'd probably wait a few months and monitor it's progress. Worst case scenario you will probably make a bit on it if you have to sell though. I'm personally not sure what the lure of this set is/will be, and am still debating if i should pick some up.

As for other sets to pick up right now.. Take a look at local Canadian Tires and see what you can find at %20 off. Scooby Doo sets are heading out the door, Mystery Machine and Mystery Mansion would be good choices, as would some of the Jurassic World sets. A good pickup right now would probably be Obi-Wan's Jedi Interceptor if you can find any.

Anyways just a few tips, there is lots of advice on this stuff in other threads.

I'll definitely look into Scooby Doo, never though of that! That's for the tips much Appreciated!

• Like 1