Ideas #009: 21301 - Birds

themoose9

On January 14, 2016 at 1:09 AM, Haay said:

Wow, Birds sets produced in Europe sold in the US? That's odd!

I you read back in this thread, we figured this out back in March.  All sets worldwide were made in Europe.  This was a key piece of data that the set was going to have a normal Ideas ~1-yr lifespan.  As it turns out, we were right.

I've been bullish on Birds from the beginning, and not everyone feels like I do.  I think this set tops $100 very quickly, perhaps by the end of this year. I bought 50 sets, so I'm certainly a biased commenter here.  We'll see.

• Like 1

Personally I'm picking up a good amount of these (a good amount for me though is only 4-5, lol).  I think it has had a relatively limited production run, a relatively short life span and the set is very cool in my opinion.  I've read reviews and the build is fun, the pieces are highly displayable, and it comes with lots of unique pieces.  I could see this being a valuable, hard to find set in the coming few yeas.

I am very hopeful of this set. Everyone I know who sees this loves them - they even make a great gift for non-lego lovers (for example, my 50+ mom loves birds, so I gave one as a gift). That to me shows there is a ton of non-standard demand for this; that is, folks who don't love lego, but in general love birds or models. Casual demand should not be underestimated. 

Too bad I didn't pick them up when they were cheaper, but they are still available at retail on amazon. They are sold out in europe and are already above retail prices - also another strong sign. 

Edited by Muffin Cup
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an extremely small scale "investor" who views holding onto a few sets as a hobby. I hope and plan to make some money in the long term but if I end up just getting my money back it will be an interesting if failed experiment. That said, I wish I had picked up a second one of these in January when my local LEGO shop had a few still at the marked down end of year price (albeit with beat up boxes). To echo the previous comments, I think that the appeal of this set goes beyond some of your typical LEGO fans. My wife whole heartedly supports my LEGO hobby on the one condition that I don't start trying to put my collection out in the living room; however, when I showed her the box at the LEGO store she immediately said that it would look great on display in our house. She even built one of the birds and really enjoyed the experience. I don't think this will be a quick money earner, especially not like it seems to be in Europe already, but I believe that down the line more and more fans will say, "hey, that was a neat, unique set", and there will be room for a small to mid size profit. I'll probably grab one at retail price or with a small discount from points or the like and thank myself down the line. Worse comes to worst, I'll end up stuck with a great gift for a nature loving friend or relative...

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, legorunner said:

I'm an extremely small scale "investor" who views holding onto a few sets as a hobby. I hope and plan to make some money in the long term but if I end up just getting my money back it will be an interesting if failed experiment. That said, I wish I had picked up a second one of these in January when my local LEGO shop had a few still at the marked down end of year price (albeit with beat up boxes). To echo the previous comments, I think that the appeal of this set goes beyond some of your typical LEGO fans. My wife whole heartedly supports my LEGO hobby on the one condition that I don't start trying to put my collection out in the living room; however, when I showed her the box at the LEGO store she immediately said that it would look great on display in our house. She even built one of the birds and really enjoyed the experience. I don't think this will be a quick money earner, especially not like it seems to be in Europe already, but I believe that down the line more and more fans will say, "hey, that was a neat, unique set", and there will be room for a small to mid size profit. I'll probably grab one at retail price or with a small discount from points or the like and thank myself down the line. Worse comes to worst, I'll end up stuck with a great gift for a nature loving friend or relative...

Still to be had at Amazon for $45: http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Ideas-21301-Birds-Model/dp/B00PE12ZJO

(use the affilliate link if you plan to purchase)

• Like 1