Ideas #009: 21301 - Birds

themoose9

This is correct. But it was simply not possible due to the limit of one in Europe. Also import from US was/is not a great option because of the strong dollar. 

We can say here that the success reason is the limitation but this would be to easy in my eyes - why is DeLorean so successfull although it was widely available? 

6 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

We can say here that the success reason is the limitation but this would be to easy in my eyes - why is DeLorean so successfull although it was widely available? 

I think the DeLorean was so succesful because it was the first Ideas set based on a classic movie franchise and because a lot of would-be Lego enthusiasts only found out about this set after it had already gone retired? 

8 minutes ago, Haay said:

I think the DeLorean was so succesful because it was the first Ideas set based on a classic movie franchise and because a lot of would-be Lego enthusiasts only found out about this set after it had already gone retired? 

No... because it is a bad ass trilogy!

• Like 1

Funny how the nay-sayers of this set here get disproved so quickly. And silly me for not having bought more Birds sets. I had a good feeling about this set from the start, and I didn't act upon it. Just bought one because I was still new to Lego investing last September and figuring out what works and what doesn't. Kept an eye on it, and all signs were in the green that this would be a good investment!

You can do a summary when an IDEAS set is a good investment:

- either small production runs (Hayabusa, MR)

- or widely popular stuff (DeLorean, RI)

- or both (Birds)

With this experience we can try to predict the chances for these two sets:

Ecto-1 has has big production runs but is it really very popular?

WallE seems to fullfill both points as Birds do - in my eyes the big winner in future.

And now some IDEAS loosers:

Minecraft - big production runs and not much popular.

BBT - terrible series, at least for Europeans, big production runs?

Dr. Who - Never seen it, terefore not popular for Europeans, too. Big production runs?

Edited by mauro23

1 hour ago, Haay said:

Funny how the nay-sayers of this set here get disproved so quickly. And silly me for not having bought more Birds sets. I had a good feeling about this set from the start, and I didn't act upon it. Just bought one because I was still new to Lego investing last September and figuring out what works and what doesn't. Kept an eye on it, and all signs were in the green that this would be a good investment!

I wouldn't say I'm one of the nay-sayers but I've been cautious about this set.

Just as I have been cautious about the DeLorean. I'm happy about the copies I bought but I don't regret not buying more (I have two, just as for the exosuit and research institute).

I bought more copies of the DeLorean but still not going big on it. (As well as Ecto-1 as this one is giving mixed signals right now and I guess it's legit to wait some more if you already own some copies).

Birds has got it's issues just as the DeLorean does. So it is only natural if you try to be aware of them as investor. After a set is rising in value it's always easy to rub it into the face of people who have argued differently. I'm happy for this set and for everyone who invested into it. And I know how ideas is different from other themes but keep in mind: There have been nay-sayers for LoneRanger and Prince of Persia as well.

I always like to read the nay-sayers opinions, even though I don't always agree. See Ghostbusters Headquarters. I'm a big fan already! But reading a lot of nay-sayer comments I'm more cautious now. The opinions here also reflect opinions of potential buyers.

What I am more afraid of are the YES!-sayers. Just as me with GBHQ they tend to be too optimistic. Sometimes it works out just fine like with HH, SSD... where everybody agrees (or at least most people) but sometimes you'll be sitting on SopwithCamel and MaerskEEE. That's something most people here have learned after being here for 6-12 months. And that's also one of the most important things as investor. Reading here will give you lots of great tipps and can help you a lot when making decissions. But it can also confuse you and lead to miscalculations. Especially when everybody is going crazy about sets that are about to go EOL. If you've bought TH or HH or SSD in the EOL craze you've done it right and everybody will be like "told you so!" (others will be like "I should have listened..."). If you've bought DS, PS, etc. during EOL craze and now you're sitting on 10 DS for what feels like 10 years by now you probably won't be that thrilled. (Even though it's a great set! But I'm getting more and more sceptical about it).

In short: Birds is a nice set and I can only agree to that (personally prefer it to the DeLorean when it comes to the design but that's never been the strong side of the DeLorean has it? ;-) ). Nay-sayers might be better than yes-sayers ^.^ And (most) new investors shouldn't buy too many sets without being in this game longer than 6 months... (why most? because some just **** money and it doesn't hurt them even if they lose all of it ;-) ).

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Locutus001 said:

I wouldn't say I'm one of the nay-sayers but I've been cautious about this set.

Just as I have been cautious about the DeLorean. I'm happy about the copies I bought but I don't regret not buying more (I have two, just as for the exosuit and research institute).

I bought more copies of the DeLorean but still not going big on it. (As well as Ecto-1 as this one is giving mixed signals right now and I guess it's legit to wait some more if you already own some copies).

Birds has got it's issues just as the DeLorean does. So it is only natural if you try to be aware of them as investor. After a set is rising in value it's always easy to rub it into the face of people who have argued differently. I'm happy for this set and for everyone who invested into it. And I know how ideas is different from other themes but keep in mind: There have been nay-sayers for LoneRanger and Prince of Persia as well.

I always like to read the nay-sayers opinions, even though I don't always agree. See Ghostbusters Headquarters. I'm a big fan already! But reading a lot of nay-sayer comments I'm more cautious now. The opinions here also reflect opinions of potential buyers.

What I am more afraid of are the YES!-sayers. Just as me with GBHQ they tend to be too optimistic. Sometimes it works out just fine like with HH, SSD... where everybody agrees (or at least most people) but sometimes you'll be sitting on SopwithCamel and MaerskEEE. That's something most people here have learned after being here for 6-12 months. And that's also one of the most important things as investor. Reading here will give you lots of great tipps and can help you a lot when making decissions. But it can also confuse you and lead to miscalculations. Especially when everybody is going crazy about sets that are about to go EOL. If you've bought TH or HH or SSD in the EOL craze you've done it right and everybody will be like "told you so!" (others will be like "I should have listened..."). If you've bought DS, PS, etc. during EOL craze and now you're sitting on 10 DS for what feels like 10 years by now you probably won't be that thrilled. (Even though it's a great set! But I'm getting more and more sceptical about it).

In short: Birds is a nice set and I can only agree to that (personally prefer it to the DeLorean when it comes to the design but that's never been the strong side of the DeLorean has it? ;-) ). Nay-sayers might be better than yes-sayers ^.^ And (most) new investors shouldn't buy too many sets without being in this game longer than 6 months... (why most? because some just **** money and it doesn't hurt them even if they lose all of it ;-) ).

The only issue I have with the Delorean is that I was out of my mind not to get more than one! What could be wrong with a set that has tripled in value in less than a year?

• Like 1

Ok, he say i works fine forHH or SSD but we are sitting with our SC and EEE (like it's not a great investment) ... i didn't understand well his sentence?

Ok, he say i works fine forHH or SSD but we are sitting with our SC and EEE (like it's not a great investment) ... i didn't understand well his sentence?

14 minutes ago, Locutus001 said:

Good points, @Locutus001. Especially as a new investor it's easy to get swept away with the euphoria of enthusiastic yes-sayers because as a new investor you're still learning the ropes and finding out what works and what doesn't. And as a new investor it's also harder to compete with long-term investors who have already streamlined their 'business' regarding purchasing with discounts, efficient storage, and selling through eBay with their built-up good reputation. Speaking for myself, even though I had a good feeling about this set, I was still reluctant to buy more than one copy. Still learning the ropes after all and figuring out what signs to look for and building experience about what works and what doesn't.

And of course, it's always easy to say after the fact has already happened: "told you so". People tend to forget when they were wrong and remember the times they were right. ;)