Ideas #009: 21301 - Birds

themoose9

Well I did build this set and it's a pretty enjoyable build! (Or better three builds!)

The birds look very nice on display and I really wanted to build them when I saw this set. But I can understand how this set might not be as appealing as other ideas sets. There is no real fan base (other than ornithologist maybe ^^) and all in all the set is nothing "special" (no fancy minifigs included).

Personally I think this is the weakest ideas set right now (maybe even of all). I still can see people wanting this set later on and paying 50-100% on top of the RRP.

In any case it is a beautiful set.

And this is reason to stock up this set. No many people will invest in this. I don't thing birds will go much up in price, however 50% up RRP is possible. There is zero minifigures but set is so unique. One of it kind right now.

1000% correct.  Birds is a terrible set, there is no collectable value here, and it's appeal is so tiny, you'll be forced to unload at half of retail long after retirement.  Absolutely nothing to see here, you've wasted 5 minutes of your time just checking this thread.  Move along, this isn't the Lego investment gold mine you're looking for....

And how many Birds sets do you have stocked up? 

Just admit it, you don't want competition and want all the Birds action all by yourself! LOL

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Haay said:

For months the Birds set was "Out of Stock, expected ship date ... (few weeks ahead)". Now the Birds set has become "Available" once again in the EU LEGO Shop at Home, with an order limit of 2. Sounds like a new (larger) batch has been produced.

what was the previous order limit?

40 minutes ago, Tom J said:

i'm still undecided as to whether to invest in this set

Meh...

Difficult choice. I invested in BTTF, Ecto-1 and also hold 2x ES and 2xRI so I'm getting two of these as well ^.^

The set itself is very nice but I'm also sceptical. Want to be able to offer the latest couple of ideas sets though ;-)

If I can't sell it birds might be a nice present for somebody some day... Would I seriously and heavily invest into this set? nope. But it's a question of faith I guess ^.^

6 hours ago, Locutus001 said:

Meh...

Difficult choice. I invested in BTTF, Ecto-1 and also hold 2x ES and 2xRI so I'm getting two of these as well ^.^

The set itself is very nice but I'm also sceptical. Want to be able to offer the latest couple of ideas sets though ;-)

If I can't sell it birds might be a nice present for somebody some day... Would I seriously and heavily invest into this set? nope. But it's a question of faith I guess ^.^

Faith + Money + Time = +/- Money

1 hour ago, diablo2112 said:

About 1/3 of the Birds in my stash:

I know it's off-topic, but the real eye-catcher for me here was not the birds sets, but the very organized way of your storage. Do you remember the name of the shelving you use here, and where you got it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 10230 said:

I know it's off-topic, but the real eye-catcher for me here was not the birds sets, but the very organized way of your storage. Do you remember the name of the shelving you use here, and where you got it?

There's a thread on the shelving units, etc. in the Collections thread here.  Search my name on that thread, you'll see lots of info.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, freakchem said:

Another off topic here, looks like you are really into MK II since I saw 2 on the shelf. lol

Indeed.  I love the MkII.  The first was a build I did from a sealed kit;  I found the second on Craigslist in a parts lot, and built it up as well, so I ended up with 2.  Fun, fun build, my very favorite Lego build of all time.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hayttees said:

Just received my birds  some for later one for tonight consumption  

So, have you built it already? And what is your impression of this set? Has your opinion of it changed after you've built it?

Ok I give it to my lady. She is not a big lego person. But she love it. Super on display.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy

I've ignored investing in this set to enhance my nestegg but, it may be worth a flutter before it flies off the shelves and buyers start migrating in their flocks to eBay. I may need to wing it to get one at a good price though. It could be the feather in my cap but, it's still a little low on my pecking order TBH.

Is it only me that thought the jay was a kingfisher at first?

5 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

I've ignored investing in this set to enhance my nestegg but, it may be worth a flutter before it flies off the shelves and buyers start migrating in their flocks to eBay. I may need to wing it to get one at a good price though. It could be the feather in my cap but, it's still a little low on my pecking order TBH.

Is it only me that thought the jay was a kingfisher at first?

tumblr_map36xRxph1rbk089o2_250.gif