Bricktober Mini Modulars - 2014

KShine

Each store is very different so keep trying.  Each shift is different too.  Had a store manager hold me 3 Pizza sets from when they had on the floor 2 weeks early and said come back on the 12th and get them.  Went by tonight to get them and the asst. manager said they were on hold for me but would not sell until the new one came out and they were allowed to sell the extra.  Didn't want to tell her I had 25 already that others sold so will just go with it and try other stores.  Yet most stores have let me add 1 or 2 at a time.   Most stores also let me by 4 of last weeks and get the Pizza free multiple times.  22 Siths and 15 or so trains later I am out of good clearance to buy so going back to batcaves.   

Each store is very different so keep trying.  Each shift is different too.  Had a store manager hold me 3 Pizza sets from when they had on the floor 2 weeks early and said come back on the 12th and get them.  Went by tonight to get them and the asst. manager said they were on hold for me but would not sell until the new one came out and they were allowed to sell the extra.  Didn't want to tell her I had 25 already that others sold so will just go with it and try other stores.  Yet most stores have let me add 1 or 2 at a time.   Most stores also let me by 4 of last weeks and get the Pizza free multiple times.  22 Siths and 15 or so trains later I am out of good clearance to buy so going back to batcaves.   

hahaha,  my strategy exactly! BTW i had the 25/10 work on a batcave/thu and got a free promo as it appears $75 threshold applies before discount. However, tried it at another store and it did not work (???)

Flipped the last of my sets today, I think we were at an advantage down here in Australia being able to access all sets immediately. I would have liked to have kept a set for myself but prices have been too good to turn down.

Strange but I noticed all 5 of my sales were to people of oriental background, I think this might be a big hit with that market... I've never really noticed any trend like that with sales of other sets.

Flipped the last of my sets today, I think we were at an advantage down here in Australia being able to access all sets immediately. I would have liked to have kept a set for myself but prices have been too good to turn down.

Strange but I noticed all 5 of my sales were to people of oriental background, I think this might be a big hit with that market... I've never really noticed any trend like that with sales of other sets.

How much are they going for?

I have a set but haven't paid much attention to it. 

hahaha,  my strategy exactly! BTW i had the 25/10 work on a batcave/thu and got a free promo as it appears $75 threshold applies before discount. However, tried it at another store and it did not work (???)

The secret is the cashier needs to scan the bricktober set before applying the coupons.  So if you get to the $75 threshold, cashier scans the bricktober set then it will ring as free, then they can apply coupons and it will stay already on there.  If they coupons go first though it will knock the price below $75 and it will not scan as free.  I've been assuming they will do coupons first and bring enough stuff to make sure I"m over $75 but you could probably not mention anything about coupons until the bricktober set is scanned and get it to go through that way...

I am looking at these being my first Global Shipping item as I too see the Asain market as a big opportunity.

The secret is the cashier needs to scan the bricktober set before applying the coupons.  So if you get to the $75 threshold, cashier scans the bricktober set then it will ring as free, then they can apply coupons and it will stay already on there.  If they coupons go first though it will knock the price below $75 and it will not scan as free.  I've been assuming they will do coupons first and bring enough stuff to make sure I"m over $75 but you could probably not mention anything about coupons until the bricktober set is scanned and get it to go through that way...

I about laughed out loud when the cashier told me I "saved" $30 some dollars on my purchase since she was including the $20 value of the "free" set that I was getting.  Don't pee on my head and tell me it's raining, TRU.

thats what i thought. i had them do the batcave, then cracktober, then 25% card coupon and it did not work. same process at 2 different TRUs. one worked, one didnt.

Four out of the Five TRU I have tried tell me I can have the free set, or the 25%, not both. Some right away, some after failure to scan it all successfully, some with managers involved and some not.

Finally over the phone I found a cashier who rang up a Batcave with the CC discount and "Bricktober freebie" before I got there to test it, confirming it went right through with both deals. She only cautioned me that it couldn't be a "hot deal" set. 

When I arrived, she was super cheerful and whipped out the pumpkin polybag immediately. When I asked about the Pizza Place, she looked dumbfounded. Long story short, it still all worked without any apparent override after a small delay when she figured out that she had to press the TRU CC button after ringing up the Bricktober set (This after Membership number / 25% coupon scanned in). I'm 99% sure I walked out with the polybag completely unaccounted for.

So until further notice that is my strategy - present membership, then 25% coupon, then ask for Bricktober set, remind to press CC button, then ask for polybag (which won't affect my decision to purchase).  Not sure how Thursday will factor into it since three of my whiffs were last week and the one success was Monday night.

Hope that helps...

• Like 1

Last Thursday my TRU could only find 1 Theater for the promo even though I bought enough for 2 as separate transactions.  Today I went back and they had about 16 Theaters on the shelf for sale, so I bought 8 to get 2 Pizza Places.  They were the last 2 Pizza sets they had (supposedly) and even though they had the week 3 set they said they couldn't offer it to me yet since the system wouldn't allow it.  I'm expecting to see some more lost cases of Pizza Places on the shelves next week.  

Will be posting some trades as well to try to complete sets.  Currently at 70 Theater and 25 Pizza.  Will see what I can get Saturday night and Sunday morning on Pizza like I did with theater.  Whatever my lowest number is will be the amount of sets I will try to complete and can help others and vice versa completing sets.

Has anyone else been able to buy the last 2 up front?  

I wouldn't panic about them. I always thought holding them till you have a complete set is best. I wouldn't be selling any theaters as that is already done and will be the hard to find one. If you can afford to do so just wait to sell these when you have a whole set. Everywhere I've been has been sold out I believe these will be hard to find a complete set for less then 130-150$ come nov and dec. sorry if rambling typing while driving somewhere

Prices seem to be dropping on ebay and my store has dozens of theaters sitting on the shelf.  Anyone concerned these will be hard to move in the coming months?  I've been selling them immediately so far but each time the price gets worse.

All the store listing ones have been selling at $30 all week.  The auctions go for less but that is always the case for LEGO.  It sells much better fixed price. The first 2 have been selling at $60 and for the lucky ones who got all 4 at time of release the sets are selling at  140-160 so not sure how they are going down. 

All promo types sets including the LEGO store ones do that trend.  They are highest the first week or two then go down as they get flooded.  Then dry up and go back up.

Look at Spaceman promo.  Down to $12 after selling for $20-25.  Just have to be patient with promotional items unless you unload the first week or so.

The sets will be very desirable around the holidays.

• Like 1

I'm surprised these models fetch a premium.  MSRP on each is a 25% increase over the cost per building in 10230, a set with much more detail.  You'd think 10230 would have been flying off the shelves when it was available, but it still stuck around for a while even after being dropped to $64 on US LEGO Shop at Home.  I guess these Toys R Us sets are limited and LEGO is popular, but...still kind of surprised...

Do you buy a batcave (74.99 assuming no coupon) at Toyrus plus one filler $1 item to get to $75 to get one of the free Bricktober sets or do you buy four Bricktober sets (19.99 each) to get one free (assuming your Toyrus allows you to buy individual ones)?  Thats a question for you experienced sellers who have more experience. 

Do you buy a batcave (74.99 assuming no coupon) at Toyrus plus one filler $1 item to get to $75 to get one of the free Bricktober sets or do you buy four Bricktober sets (19.99 each) to get one free (assuming your Toyrus allows you to buy individual ones)?  Thats a question for you experienced sellers who have more experience. 

Both will work (but there aren't any $1 filler lego sets and it must be lego to get the bricktober set, so you will need a mixel or CMF).

But....much better to do is use a 25% coupon for a batcave which knocks the price down to $60 and then add $15 worth of mixels/CMF or an arctic batman set.  Also get the free pumpkin poly with coupon.

This requires having the TRU CC though, and if you have that best to do on Thursday cuz that knocks another 10% off.

AND don't forget the discounted GC.  AND don't forget to charge at least $1 to your CC to get the 10% off on Thursday and to generate 8% back in rewards $.

All that hinges on having the credit card, however and the worry is the % off one item coupon will soon exclude lego completely...

Depends if you are trying to build multiple sets or just want the freebie to flip and get your cost down on the other item you are buying.  If you just want the batcave just sell your freebie and then your into the cave for about $50.

If you are intending on building multiple sets the best is to buy the 4 and 1 if they allow it as your down to 16 per plus tax.  That will get your sets down to $70ish with tax and over time and you can build more sets while spending less.  

Edited by ravenb99

I went to 13 toys r us this weekend and all were the same except 1 that stayed they had to hold all the extras till nov2. Probably so their family member can buy them all.

Anyways in all instances if you buy the batcave( I bought many) it works. You do not need a filler item. Just have the cashier ring it up and the promo and it will show the promo is free then also don't forget the free pumpkin.

Stores that had the old ones in stock I would buy 4 and get 1 free and free pumpkin. I was able to clean out the last 20 in my state last night. That's the best way to do it if you are trying to collect sets like raven or I. I still buy sets during the week though like batcave or mos cantina to make sure I'm getting some sets.

Also so everyone knows there is a deal from the gift card mall company on eBay for TRU!!

85$ for a 100$ card. They sold I think 2400 so far today with max 2 per eBay account. Another great way to save some money

• Like 1