10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

2h5u0ht.jpg

Ed, that edge space has to be less than an inch all round. One heavy whack from any angle is going to put a large ding in the side of that thing. One of my Campervans I received recently had three times the space your box has but a huge whack on either side sandwiched the contents. Have you ever had any damage claims made against you?

Ed, that edge space has to be less than an inch all round. One heavy whack from any angle is going to put a large ding in the side of that thing. One of my Campervans I received recently had three times the space your box has but a huge whack on either side sandwiched the contents. Have you ever had any damage claims made against you?

Damage claims? Do you know who you're talking to? Emazers laughs at taxes, customs, return policies and damage claims. He laughs right in their faces.

• Like 6

Isn't this thread about the SSD and not packing? However, I'm glad all my sets are now collected and I never have to pack again!

The "and other topics" clause absolves any off topic comments on this thread :D

HOWEVER, since we were specifically discussing the packaging of SSD, I would say those posts were ON TOPIC

Thanks Ed.  Great post.  Those uline boxes are solid.  I don't always use uline boxes so the cardboard corner braces help.  heck, sometimes I even reuse amazon and target boxes. with uline boxes, i still use my homemade corner braces :)

By the way, your FedEx Ground price is good.  The price would be 10% cheaper if you have a biz account.  The USPS Post Office quote would be much higher than $33.69.

Using the same 2 zip codes and box dimensions as you mentioned, UPS Ground will only cost 27.84 with $400 insurance with the entry level biz account.  Without the biz account, the price with insurance is $42.71.  Big difference, huh? 

update and summary for shipping one 10221 from Balt (21220) to Cali (90017). 

$400 insurance.

20 pounds.

24"x 8"x 20" Box

USPS Priority will cost $61.35 (buying online)

USPS Standpost =  $44.96.

UPS Ground = $27.84 (entry level biz account)

UPS Ground = $42.71 (no biz account)

Fedex Ground = $33.69 (no biz account & no insurance)

Fedex Ground = $30.32 (standard -10% biz account & no insurance)

sounds about right ... try shipping that thing from 96818 to anywhere in the mainland! killer!! thats why any big Lego set i order really takes a chunk out of the company i purchase them from to send it to me ... haha

sounds about right ... try shipping that thing from 96818 to anywhere in the mainland! killer!! thats why any big Lego set i order really takes a chunk out of the company i purchase them from to send it to me ... haha

This is why I do calculated shipping on most items.  Although Fedex has roughly flat costs.

Things like these thread makes me worried, Such high volume means that its likely highly stocked up and the set itself doesn't have great playability, but you do make some convincing points.

It's funny, some sets are criticized for no play-ability like the SSD, and there are sets like the DS that are criticized for not being "to scale" because they have play-ability. 

No. The 10188 was collected heavily before the SSD was released. People thought that it was a winner 4 or 5 years ago, when they believed the set would retire in 2-4 years. I still think the 10188 is a great value though, for different reasons. Minifigures, PPP and interest from both kids and AFOLs make this set a winner now for parting out and in the future after EOL.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

What if it's possible that the DS simply never retires or goes on for another six years. The term "Death Star" is known among most adults which which appeals to them, and the set has playability for kids which might be why Lego will keep on producing it. No other set has been out for this long, at least that I'm aware of so maybe, just maybe, Lego will just continue to make this set. Most of the pieces are just standard bricks that are not very expensive; they might just change the minifigs to match the new ones and keep on selling this old dog.

What if it's possible that the DS simply never retires or goes on for another six years. The term "Death Star" is known among most adults which which appeals to them, and the set has playability for kids which might be why Lego will keep on producing it. No other set has been out for this long, at least that I'm aware of so maybe, just maybe, Lego will just continue to make this set. Most of the pieces are just standard bricks that are not very expensive; they might just change the minifigs to match the new ones and keep on selling this old dog.

Non-sense. If that was the case then McDonald's would serve mcrib year round!

Great.  I made 1.5x what I paid in profit after tax in less than 3 months.  I know a lot of people are enamored with the high prices that these humongous exclusives fetch, but I hate dealing with them because they take up too much space, tie up too much capital, and carry too much transactional risk for my tastes.    

Are you using bricklink or brickowl instead of eBay or Amazon?

24X20X8 box.

Emazers had a post suggest this size box awhile back so I got a bundle of 25 of them from staples, they are perfect for the SSD and also perfect for 2x a lot of other large exclusives.  I'm not sure if these can be scored from the dumpster at Quizno's but I got a pretty good deal on them when staples had that GC offer and a sale on shipping supplies at the same time.

If you order online from the LEGO site and ship them to your house, you have a box right there that fits perfectly. 

• Like 1

It would make sense if the SSD wasn't officially retired. LEGO Shop at Home is not a source anymore. At least in the US.

Of course I was just saying that in the future I find it much easier to just order online for the sole purpose of being able to use the shipping shipping box. Never had any dented Lego boxes either.   

• Like 1

Non-sense. If that was the case then McDonald's would serve mcrib year round! 

I like your anology but it can't totally ruled out. When the DS first came out and someone was to say I think this set will stay on the shelves for at least six years people would be calling that nonsense as well... but look where the DS is now. People think they are worried about how all these investors have x20 DS at home when in actuality maybe the DS will continue to be produced for years. And if in the new movies if there is another DS, which could or could not happen, you would definitely see Lego remaking a new model or kepping the old one. 

I only found it 5 times, and twice is was in a quote.

(...)

I'll let ya'll figure out how I did that. Took less than 5 minutes.

It took me 10 seconds.

The link for that video is

http***//www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuxM-avNfLo***

So I copy/paste "tuxM-avNfLo" in the "search in this topic" case...

What's my price ? :D

edit: ok no need for a price: I'm a brick advisor now ! (750 posts full of engrish words, yay !)

• Like 2