10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

Honestly, I think this set is understocked by resellers and investors. I spent a year and a half telling people to buy this set and many blew me off. I would harp every time there was a Double or Triple VIP points to buy this or other large exclusive that wouldn't be discounted by other means. Many members would go and buy a Camper Van or Sopwith Camel instead. Talk about sets that are mass held....

One last point on the SSD. It was too costly for many to hoard. Don't let two months of up and down stock/inventory and rabid buying taint your view. We have no idea how many SSDs were produced in comparison to other sets, especially large ones. Many people said they bought them, but much of that is internet bravado.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

• Like 3

Honestly, I think this set is understocked by resellers and investors. I spent a year and a half telling people to buy this set and many blew me off. I would harp every time there was a Double or Triple VIP points to buy this or other large exclusive that wouldn't be discounted by other means. Many members would go and buy a Camper Van or Sopwith Camel instead. Talk about sets that are mass held....

One last point on the SSD. It was too costly for many to hoard. Don't let two months of up and down stock/inventory and rabid buying taint your view. We have no idea how many SSDs were produced in comparison to other sets, especially large ones. Many people said they bought them, but much of that is internet bravado.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I agree about this set being understocked by resellers and investors.  Would you say something similar about 10188 despite the longer life and being less of a display set?

I agree about this set being understocked by resellers and investors.  Would you say something similar about 10188 despite the longer life and being less of a display set?

Its possible, but I have a feeling that one is horded more. Been around longer and I have definitely seen more people at least claim they have Death Stars X 20

I agree about this set being understocked by resellers and investors. Would you say something similar about 10188 despite the longer life and being less of a display set?

No. The 10188 was collected heavily before the SSD was released. People thought that it was a winner 4 or 5 years ago, when they believed the set would retire in 2-4 years. I still think the 10188 is a great value though, for different reasons. Minifigures, PPP and interest from both kids and AFOLs make this set a winner now for parting out and in the future after EOL.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

I was never a massive SSD fan but in recent months I've been converted. It might not quite have the panache of the Falcon or the sheer size but it is never-less Vaders ship. It's the third largest UCS set ever made and there's three new Star Wars movies coming out which should draw extra interest. This could be a real market monster. Great now I've just talked myself into buying another one. 

How do you feel about that now?

Great.  I made 1.5x what I paid in profit after tax in less than 3 months.  I know a lot of people are enamored with the high prices that these humongous exclusives fetch, but I hate dealing with them because they take up too much space, tie up too much capital, and carry too much transactional risk for my tastes.    

• Like 1

So, what is the best way to ship this set to minimize cost and maximize protection? Running numbers, through Ebay shipping/with insurance/ is around $55

for me I would wrap the box in bubble wrap and then for added protection put thick cardboard around that ...

hardest part is finding a box to fit this beast ...

when you find a box but the protected SSD in it and surround it with newspaper or bubble wrap ...

should be good to go ... if it ends up damaged enroute it aint your fault ... it takes quite the effort to intentionally damage that size of a shipping box

I guess my question is finding a way to minimize the size of the box, yet still offer the best protection. I know what the size of the SSD box is, but what size box would you buy to offer good protection while en-route, yet still keep box size to a level where you aren't at the $55-60 range for shipping.

I guess my question is finding a way to minimize the size of the box, yet still offer the best protection. I know what the size of the SSD box is, but what size box would you buy to offer good protection while en-route, yet still keep box size to a level where you aren't at the $55-60 range for shipping.

24X20X8 box.

Emazers had a post suggest this size box awhile back so I got a bundle of 25 of them from staples, they are perfect for the SSD and also perfect for 2x a lot of other large exclusives.  I'm not sure if these can be scored from the dumpster at Quizno's but I got a pretty good deal on them when staples had that GC offer and a sale on shipping supplies at the same time.

• Like 1

build an internal skeleton / brace inside the shipping box using cardboard from spare boxes.  place folded "L" shape pieces at the 4 corners and non-folded "-" pieces along the 4 sides and large "-" pieces in the bottom and top of the box).  i have pics somewhere as this is how many of my MISB sets are always packed and shipped.

also use that slightly twisted paper as packing material (or bubble wrap).

A sturdy shipping box (despite the heavier weight) is also encourage

• Like 4

what kind of internal protection does that leave with using that size shipping box?  emazers only uses a single layer of bubble wrap to protect his sets ... is that enough?

like i mentioned before, it really doesnt matter the size of the shipping box ... it the shipper wants it dented, it will happen, and when it does that SSD box will get damaged.

but you know what, if a buyer buys that SSD for $1000, it better be padded well ... who cares if it costs $80 for the shipping and packing ...

but you know what, if a buyer buys that SSD for $1000, it better be padded well ... who cares if it costs $80 for the shipping and packing ...

I care. The business side of me wants to provide the best product, yet provide the most profit. At $80 for shipping, it means a $700 sale suddenly turns into a paltry $100 profit. (Still nice, but it's quite a hit)

what kind of internal protection does that leave with using that size shipping box?  emazers only uses a single layer of bubble wrap to protect his sets ... is that enough?

like i mentioned before, it really doesnt matter the size of the shipping box ... it the shipper wants it dented, it will happen, and when it does that SSD box will get damaged.

I have yet to come across a 100% minty fresh SSD box.  There is usually a small dent or crease somewhere.  The set is too large and heavy, and the box material is too thin.  I will be stating up front in my listings that boxes are definitely not guaranteed to arrive mint.

• Like 1

I do not think that emazers uses bubble wrap (he is very against paying for packing material), I remember him being fond of the light kraft paper that many use (I use this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AI652CM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

This paper along with additional cardboard support like JA mentioned has been enough for every large set that I have shipped. Just make sure that the edges are protected and that the set cannot shift around in the box when shaken and you will be fine. 

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking of packing all of mine now just to get it done with.

My SSD's are the only ones I have pre-packed.  They're my most valuable sets, and they're well protected in their shipping boxes.  I save all those air packets that amazon uses for packing material, and used those + recycled bubble wrap, should be good to go.

out of the 9 i was able to amass only about half are mint, those were picked up local. shipped ones all arrived between light to moderately messed up (thanks walmart for slapping a label on it). 2 i was able to get with 1000-1400 extra VIPs for damage, which only provides slight consolation for the price paid. i would have bought more but im sitting on 20+ still alive DS's and thought (wrongly) this is another boat anchor.