10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

Just ask emazers, who's been shipping through USPS Priority Express Mail for years.  It might be one of the only ways to ensure delivery, but I'd trust EBay's Global Shipping Program as well.

Just to be clear: in theory, Express Mail will satisfy the signature requirement.  It is in practice that it does not.  It's easy to verify this; ship to another country using USPS Express Mail, then check the tracking info online and see if you can pull up the recipient's signature.  In my experience, this is impossible.  In fact, I have never even had Express Mail parcels be scanned on delivery.  The parcels arrive; but it is only the recipient's honesty that protects the seller.  The Global Shipping Program would be a different story.  In theory, you are covered if you can get your parcel to the US distribution center.  There are however other reasons not to use it (read the complete terms of the program at eBay's web site).  Different sellers might be comfortable with different levels of risk; people who haven't shipped a large, expensive set overseas, though, should be aware of the potential pitfalls (notably including lack of signature confirmation with USPS).

• Like 1

Hello guys,

somebody has an advice for me ?

I am in France, It means I can get it for 400e minus VIP and other stuff, let's say 375e so 510 dollars.

I have already 3 of it.

If I sell it on ebay to US, I guess the buyer needs to add something like 100e with shipping and tax.

So I am not sure getting more at retail price here is a smart move.

Thanks,

Yannick

I don't know what your budget is. I aim for having 5 of these for investment purposes and think to sell them in a year for 500 or in 3-4 years for 700. At this moment I have 4, but I am not buying that last one for MSRP. If I was you, I would wait and scan the shop websites for a good bargain. SSD can't still be found AND discounted at least here in Belgium. The less you pay for that big mother, the better.

You can count on it...and Amazon as well.

we haven't seen any SSD from amazon during past few months.

TRU has been the generous supplier of it :) for which i have been one of the beneficiary. if my count is correct they have released @ the very least about 72 SSD from june 14th till August 16th.

i am not sure they have a whole lot of them left but that would depend on how this latest batch released on August 16th is shipped. prior to that all of the previous shipments have been with out LEGO boxes; which means that these SSDs were there for some time. Also, the seal R1 proves that they were of older batch.

now if the august 16th shipment be "minty fresh" on packaging (with lego box) and/or seal 19R4 and 20R4 then we know that they got the fresh supply from TLG i.e. part of what was distributed via LEGO Shop at Home. then definitely amazon; walmart will have some to release as well.

also, that might be the reason good old TARGET raised the price to 723.99 in anticipation of this last shipment...

of course this is all speculation .. but its more likely that we will see few trickle down. my guess would be less than 100

TRU has been the generous supplier of it :) for which i have been one of the beneficiary. if my count is correct they have released @ the very least about 72 SSD from june 14th till August 16th.

i am not sure they have a whole lot of them left but that would depend on how this latest batch released on August 16th is shipped. prior to that all of the previous shipments have been with out LEGO boxes; which means that these SSDs were there for some time. Also, the seal R1 proves that they were of older batch.

now if the august 16th shipment be "minty fresh" on packaging (with lego box) and/or seal 19R4 and 20R4 then we know that they got the fresh supply from TLG i.e. part of what was distributed via LEGO Shop at Home. then definitely amazon; walmart will have some to release as well.

also, that might be the reason good old TARGET raised the price to 723.99 in anticipation of this last shipment...

of course this is all speculation .. but its more likely that we will see few trickle down. my guess would be less than 100

Funny thing about Target.  It makes me sad that they've become Lego investors themselves.  On the other hand, they do sometimes clearance stuff even after marking it up post-EOL.  They've already done this with the Quinjet (from $85 down to ~$50, I think), Star Wars Skiff, and Lone Ranger train.  I'm hoping they'll do it soon with the ol' Forest Police Station.  All of those popped up as Target online clearances long after disappearing from LEGO Shop at Home.  So you never know.  A $723.99 SSD on a 40% clearance sale wouldn't be half bad...

And we shall know them by their name.

Actually let the cleansing of the low hanging resellers begin.

I am fired up on this set.

I may buy some more through private channels.

The smart money is liquidating their SSD stash and plowing the proceeds into discount Speedorz (some of the Chinese counterfeit Speedorz even have Yoda riding around on a wheeled crocodile, so you get the best of both worlds: Star Wars and Chima)!

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of TRU.com's stock came from stores.  At the store I bought mine from a few weeks back, there were two on the shelf.  However, the week or so prior, there were six.  And this store is in the middle of the city and I know firsthand how much of a PITA it was to lug that thing around out of the store and onto mode of public transportation.  At their selling price of $500 before tax and the ridiculous size and weight of the box, I have doubts that an "investor" cleared out four of them in that short span of time.  Afterall, if they were that serious about hoarding, they wouldn't have been generous enough to leave two behind.

It's a real shame sets this big cost so much to ship to me.  It makes investing in them very hard to do as the local price starts out very high to make any sort of margin. There also seems to be a few on the local market here.   Plus if wanting to sell back into a market like the US that's another shipping fee.  All up probably a $500 round trip to factor into any investment potential.  As such I have only 1 SSD, apart from my own one on display.

I don't know what your budget is. I aim for having 5 of these for investment purposes and think to sell them in a year for 500 or in 3-4 years for 700. At this moment I have 4, but I am not buying that last one for MSRP. If I was you, I would wait and scan the shop websites for a good bargain. SSD can't still be found AND discounted at least here in Belgium. The less you pay for that big mother, the better.

I think you should be more positive about the appreciation of this big bad ass set! Here on the UK eBay, there is only one seller that undermines the prices. Currently selling at the region of

Follow your own instincts. No one has the answer to which option will be most lucrative. SSD's, Campervans and Grand Emporiums will all return good profits. Make a decision, either way you won't be disappointed. 

That's why it's better IMHO to have many different sets in your brickfolio (if you can afford to, of course). :)

They certainly are adding the 50% off tag on that set.

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

• Like 1

And... who buys from a German anyway. Ha!

Just pointing out its not a domestic seller :))))

An extremely unpatriotic Brit ;)

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

I am not a brit at first place. That's quite fortunate in a way, because I don't have to make half price deals on the SSDs in the future just to feel patriotic  :D :D :D 

Sorry for the off-topic: is the LEGO Shop at Home offline for you guys too ?

I wonder if it's because of the Tumbler or the SSD, or nothing related in, just some (sort of) scheduled website maintenance.

YES YES! Same here in the UK!

I'm hoping it doesn't retire just yet, I wouldn't mind one more when it comes back online

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

I am getting two more, its just a matter of popping to the shop..