10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

If it helps at all, there have been rumours that both Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine will make appearances in Episode 7 in the form of flashbacks.

one of the protagonists are a group called "The Inquisitors" who serve the Sith.

Along with a nugget that perhaps Palpatine had been training an apprentice to take over for Vader if the plans with Skywalker had fallen through.  

If they are doing flashbacks, they could conceivably re-introduce any person/ship into the plot.

Carrie Fisher's daughter (Billie Lourds)  may player Leia in flashbacks

While i get those topics may have a bearing on the future value of the SSD, can we refrain from posting spoilers in non spoiler threads?

This could really ruin the movie for some folks if this type of info continues.

• Like 1

Now is the time.  A year from now they could be double that.

Not sure if you have the capability, but If you could take a snapshot of SSD ownership right now at the moment of Retirement, and then again over the next few weeks, perhaps as savvy investors stock up a bit more. Then we could see the tipping point where the SSD isnt worth adding (700? 800?). At that point we'll see the SSD inventory levels on this site go back down. Or perhaps we wont as folks may not be dilligent in removing items from their inventory.

In any case, i thought it might be a very interesting statistical curve to share with folks.

It might also be a good example of something you could begin to charge for as advanced data.

Not sure if you have the capability, but If you could take a snapshot of SSD ownership right now at the moment of Retirement, and then again over the next few weeks, perhaps as savvy investors stock up a bit more. Then we could see the tipping point where the SSD isnt worth adding (700? 800?). At that point we'll see the SSD inventory levels on this site go back down. Or perhaps we wont as folks may not be dilligent in removing items from their inventory.

In any case, i thought it might be a very interesting statistical curve to share with folks.

It might also be a good example of something you could begin to charge for as advanced data.

I'm going to tell you that $650-$750 for an SSD is probably a very good price for this set...right now.  You will not going to get them cheaper, unless LEGO releases a new one 5 years from now.  I can visualize this set doubling in the next year or so, right around the time the new movie hits the screen.

my personal thinking is following:

a. it has already got the retirement boost. so this is going to stay around this price for some time

b. it will appreciate with increase demand for sure with major events. ( may be the movie? will totally depend on the interest level and relation of news to SSD)

c. also the appreciation will depend on how many are available for selling :D ... { if there are 100s then it will be faster compared to 1000s vs 10000s }

• Like 1

So being new to this hobby and this being my first set that has retired, what are the recommendations now? Do we sell the sets right away or hold off for another year?

Don't think about selling this set for two years. By then, it should have a nice value and you will be happy that you held on to it for that long.

• Like 1

If you've got SSD's, you probably shouldn't sell them yet.  If you don't though, this advice to ****** them up at $650ish seems odd.  The set doesn't exist in a vacuum.  You can still pick up 10188 (basically EOL, unless you believe the mystery man who says it will be around for another year and a half), 10211 and 10220 at retail, for example, and for the money/space you are likely to do much better over the next year with a set like that (basically at EOL, but still periodically available at retail).  It would be like picking up SSD at retail a couple months ago.  If you buy SSD at $650, you are hoping for at least an eBay price of $800 + shipping (and even then you probably only net around $60 after fees).  You are also taking a huge risk that lego releases something directly competitive to coincide with the movie, like another UCS SD.  10221 was a great investment at up to retail or slightly above, not at $650.

• Like 1

Lots of interesting speculation around May 23rd.. One thing I have learned is that we can probably stop using the catalogs as an indicator of retirement.

Yeah, you can't rely on catalogs and (obviously) the mythical "retiring soon" label is seldom seen.  I tend to think Lego is actually fairly well run, except for a huge chip on their shoulder about investors/resellers.  I could almost believe they do lots of bizarro stuff (permitting rampant counterfeiting of their product and not applying the "retiring soon" label to any decent set) just to mess with us.